1/48 Tamiya F-14D Super Tomcat VF-2

Hi all, thanks for kind words! I have everything done, apart from the armament. So I will try to make some photos in the coming days.

Glenn, I have actually finished this just yesterday. I have applied the decal on clear part using hot water to soften the decal. Then I moved it on the canopy (on inside), got rid of the excessive water with paper tissue, adjusted the position and dried it with a cotton swab. Then I just left it to dry. I didn't apply any decal softener like Micro Sol, I don't think it's needed.

Hope this helps.

Tomas

Oh, my -- are you showing us a reference photo of the real Tomcat or your model?  : ) It's beautiful!   Can you go over your photography techniques in more detail, if you don't mind   : )  -   like cameras, lenses, lightbox setup and such : )   Your pics are superb.  That's the kind of model photography I'm after.  

On 3/18/2022 at 2:27 PM, crackerjazz said:

Oh, my -- are you showing us a reference photo of the real Tomcat or your model?  : ) It's beautiful!   Can you go over your photography techniques in more detail, if you don't mind   : )  -   like cameras, lenses, lightbox setup and such : )   Your pics are superb.  That's the kind of model photography I'm after.  

Thanks! 

So, I am using my old Nikon D5100 with a macro lens Nikon AF-S Nikkor 40mm f/2.8 G DX Micro.

The setting is on manual, maximum aperture f/22, shutter on 1s (this depending on how much light is available), ISO 100. I try to focus on the middle of the model.

I use white or white&blue background. I will try to get a bigger one color background.

The lighting on the previous and next photos is only natural sun light, photos taken in a sunny living room. I didn't play with the light enough yet, so in the future I will try more.

I use a RAW photo file and I adjust it a bit in the Photoshop (brightness, exposure, hue, saturation, shadows, cooling filter).

Hope this helps!

Here are some testing shots taken today from all the angles:

AM-JKLX_1zScO1ZStvzW12RgZgoB0FAH8Yb3Ht3G

AM-JKLVykW2khwo6xTMcOjL6LPIhRVBeiImLbcqC

AM-JKLVQug4-0UFjdF5nhkGjNvMXbBfV4C5XWi2M

AM-JKLWkYd3TyWgzukZOW4cFya9YE_mLTNPz3uXC

AM-JKLUg-Ik0PQRDwKh2hgEjoEv_RT2O4CEevBNz

AM-JKLU62SjzsT7WboKA_cdr9IWzuFzt72pzeYsS

AM-JKLVazKhTyGX7pSAKH5nXaBbzoW9YVyPurp65

AM-JKLXn42G-ZWdiNobPwYf429x1UYuAC6uWCmMj

AM-JKLUv0-n-F8PtgBb2zsQGqizf58VGPnvdlFsj

AM-JKLVRUSTZ2cuB-lgBwazsKA6KOdblbfJ4wVRH

And last one some fake news! 🙂

AM-JKLWw3rOd-HTlnGZB9kmK2IKoWnnj98FO8LlC

Thanks for watching,

Tomas

• 5 months later...

Looking lovely,

I'm trying to figure out the FS colors for the chrome(?) yellow and cobalt(?) blue on the ventral and tail fins, especially if they're covered by the MRP range. 

Tamiya only mentions their own colors but not FS and I don't have that much faith in color conversion charts.

Thanks,

Marc.

11 minutes ago, serendip said:

Looking lovely,

I'm trying to figure out the FS colors for the chrome(?) yellow and cobalt(?) blue on the ventral and tail fins, especially if they're covered by the MRP range. 

Tamiya only mentions their own colors but not FS and I don't have that much faith in color conversion charts.

Thanks,

Marc.

The yellow is FS 33538, Insignia Yellow and the blue is FS 35044, Insignia Blue.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

23 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

The yellow is FS 33538, Insignia Yellow and the blue is FS 35044, Insignia Blue.

Steve

Thanks Steve, why can't I find this stuff? Could you share your source?

Sorry for prying - friendly curiosity only.

Marc.

10 hours ago, serendip said:

Thanks Steve, why can't I find this stuff? Could you share your source?

Sorry for prying - friendly curiosity only.

Marc.

The color call outs are on the Fightertown Decal sheet #48060, F-14D Tomcats O.I.F., Last Tomcat Cruise.

Steve