Greetings...

So far the Aeromaster decals went on fine without breaking up into pieces and responded well to the Microsol. I will omit some stencils because these are a bit too big and pronounced for scale. Will need to paint the anti glare panel tomorrow as the decal version does not fit well. In doing research I found out there are great variations in the way the stripes are painted onto the tail. Some meet at the leading edge of the vertical fins while others stop short. Had to use my best educated guess on this one... Dai 

xNNjejo.jpg

Hello modelers...

The plane is almost done so in the mean time before the final photos, I will offer you my opinion on the kit with today's standard considerations.

Pros:

1. The best F80 in 1/48. The recent Hobby Boss offering is so way off that cannot be considered as an acceptable replica. It is like you want to build a modern human replica and get the Neanderthal instead! 

2. Good engineering. Everything has locating tabs to eliminate guess work.

3. Open engine, gun bay, drop flaps and speed breaks. 

4. Good cockpit details and wheel wells.

5. Options for wing tip tanks and pylons.

Cons:

1. Raised panel lines.

2. Instrument panel is located too far forward. You need to bring it back as far as you can to get an passable result or shave the inside to get the panel to the correct position.

3. Inaccurate panel line locations and relative positions.

4. Average to poor fit in some areas but can be easily corrected with average skills like me.

5. Fictional windshield area where raised details are not seen on real airplanes.

6. Marginal decal quality. 

7. Poorly detailed engine.

8. Multiple injection pin marks/sink marks to clean up.

9. Canopy requires to be glued to the frame. It would have been nicer if this is molded in one piece. 

Until another 1/48 hits the market, we are without luck on finding after market detail sets and decals. There is a decal company called FCM that makes current decals for T33 and some F80s. However these are later models with the T33 style tanks that are not on the kit or after market items. You can buy the Hobbycraft T33 and use the tanks as an option.  Also LF models produces F80 decals and those are the 2 companies that make current decals. if you use the LF offering, make sure you clear coat first to prevent the ink from bleeding. If you plan to build this kit, get the 1977 white box edition for best results. It is claimed the part's quality degrades over repeated use over time.  Dai 

Edited by dai phan

Happy Sunday everyone...

The plane is 95% finished. I am waiting for the masks to arrive so I can repaint the front windshield. I sand the frames off because they are poorly molded. Some more opinions on this kit.

1. Make sure you move the instrument panel as back as you can or shave the inside so the panel is placed closer to the seat. The way it is located the pilot no way in hell can see the instruments.

2. Replace the gun "rods" with thinner ones.

3. Sand off the front winshield frames. They are poorly molded. 

4. No need to glue the engine. Frictional fit will do such fine for ease of storage and transportation. Beside, the mounting mechanism is poor and does not hold the engine well.

5. Apply a bead of expoxy to the inside of the top seam to prevent it from separating when fitting the engine. The engine should fit passively. If you force, you will crack the seam unless epoxy is applied. 

6. Raised panel lines are in incorrect postions and relative postions. Online 3 views are inaccurate as well. I suggest getting the source from F80 in Action from Squadron Signal book. 

7. Thin the flap taps to allow better fitting and neater result. 

8. You probaly already know but if you want to build the plane w/o the engine exposed, glue the left and right halves first. 

9. Watch out for excessive dihedral. I had to correct mine. The F80 dihedral is very slight with tip tanks installed.

For a 1977 kit, the result turns out to be a nice kit with good outline and fit. The online reviews of " horrrible" fit is totally unjust. It is not fair to apply 2020 expections to a 1977 kit.  With average skill like mine, the kit should go together well and quickly. Dai 

N8vUogV.jpg

A4Wt6PQ.jpg

oZGr2Pv.jpg

qGzbXtt.jpg

XXXNN03.jpg

mtbpM8Q.jpg

Edited by dai phan