Nats 2020 Covid 19

I thought I'd post some info things look a little troubling. I've been following the opening up of places and see Hays county where San Marcos is has had 540 new cases in the past week, 666 current active cases 400 in San Marcos. I would keep an eyeball on this only 6 weeks away to the Nats.  By comparison my city Winnipeg has 4 active cases and more than ten times the population. Details here https://hayscountytx.com/covid-19-infor ... residents/
Stay safe
Ken

The odds of catching it and dying are low, however the odds of catching it alone are somewhat higher and believe me it can be a very nasty and debilitating virus to get, which can lead to a very long and hard road to recovery which may even cause permanent damage. You don't want to take the chance.

I'm all registered and ready to go but If there is a spike I will cancel. My health issues make me hesitant to start with so any negatives give me more reason to rethink attending. But trust me I really really want to go.

My wife and I had already cancelled our plans to attend this year out of concerns for the pandemic.  A moot point now, as we both have Covid-19 and are quarantined until at least early July. 

AN

I’m staying home. As much as I enjoy the show and the vendors especially, it’s not worth the risk. My stash is HUGE I can do without for a year. Between the various forums, eBay and FB groups my trading needs are covered till this blows over.  While I’m not super concerned about myself, my wife has severe asthma, my kids have moderate asthma, my elderly parents and elderly in laws all have assorted heath issues putting them all in prime categories for severe complications.

14 minutes ago, Steve N said:

My wife and I had already cancelled our plans to attend this year out of concerns for the pandemic.  A moot point now, as we both have Covid-19 and are quarantined until at least early July. 

AN

Wow I hope it's the mildest of cases It does not spread through your whole family and you Get Well ASAP!!!! 

On 6/18/2020 at 5:47 PM, Steve N said:

AN

Your case appears to be the vast majority of those that have it. Case Numbers HAVE risen in Texas; but, just yesterday news reported that hospitals are discharging patients faster due to mild or no symptoms and Critical Care facilities patients are down from earlier highs.  (Hospitals lost a BOAT Load early on due to halt of test and elective surgeries and may just be trying to recover a bit???)

Anyway, I plan to go and will take precautions, like wearing mask indoors and washing my hand frequently!!  AND, I won't be French kissing anyone either!!  LOL!!!  I've knuckle bumped for 15 yrs or longer and haven't even had a cold in that time!!  Hands are the easiest way to spread germs!!

C U Thar!!

Bo

On 6/18/2020 at 5:47 PM, Steve N said:

AN

Hope you recover quickly.

I am planning on going, even if I have to do a post-show quarantine.

Sure hope those who have been bitten by this bug recover fully and soon!!!

Well Chris, by the way the EU is moving our border will probably stay closed for a while longer!!!!

Got a haircut last week - woohoo - feel much lighter, and in the wallet as well as the hobby stores are open!!

Just cancelled :

The following is a joint announcement from the San Marcos 2020 Convention Leadership team and the IPMS USA Executive Board.

We jointly appreciate all the feedback we received regarding this year‘s convention. We’ve taken your comments and concerns into careful consideration, while maintaining an ongoing dialogue and negotiation with the Embassy Suites convention center in San Marcos. These negotiations have been proceeding carefully due to the significant financial exposure that IPMS would be subject to if we simply decided to cancel the convention unilaterally.

We are now prepared to announce that the 2020 National Convention is officially canceled. While this may disappoint many, including your authors, we believe it is the prudent, safe and sensible thing to do.

On a more positive note, we have been successful in negotiating the use of the Embassy Suites San Marcos location for the 2023 convention. Therefore, the rotation for the next three years, circumstances permitting, will be Las Vegas in 2021, Omaha in 2022, and San Marcos in 2023. Tentative dates for the 2023 convention will be August 2nd through the 5th. We are currently finalizing details of the contract with Embassy Suites and expect a finalized version within a week.

For those who have registered already for the convention, we will be processing your refunds. For those who have booked hotel reservations at one of the convention center hotels, it will be up to you to cancel those on your own. Vendors will be refunded their money for tables as well through our vendor coordinator, Craig Gregory. Chapters and individuals who have sponsored contest categories may also receive refunds for their sponsorships.

Again, we want to thank you all for your patience and support during these trying times, and hope that you recognize we have made the best possible decision for all under the circumstances.

For any questions please contact John Noack at: IPMSPresident@ipmsusa.org

Or Len Pilhofer at: director.nats2020@gmail.com

Respectfully submitted,

Len Pilhofer, 2020 Convention Chairman

John Noack IPMS USA President

Quick update.  My wife spent six days in the hospital with Covid-19.  I've managed to ride it out at home.  It's been rough, but she's back home and we're both on the mend.  Trust me, you do NOT want this bug! 

SN

I should have known - having a Nats just thirty miles away from my home was just too good to be true. Oh well - after the Covid-19 flare-ups here I was planning not to attend anyway.

Edited by KursadA
11 hours ago, KursadA said:

I should have known - having a Nats just thirty miles away from my home was just too good to be true. Oh well - after the Covid-19 flare-ups here I was planning not to attend anyway.

But just think, it will be back in 2023.

17 hours ago, Steve N said:

Quick update.  My wife spent six days in the hospital with Covid-19.  I've managed to ride it out at home.  It's been rough, but she's back home and we're both on the mend.  Trust me, you do NOT want this bug! 

SN

Great to hear that you're both doing better, Steve.:thumbsup:

I haven't heard that our National Convention here in Belgium has been cancelled yet. It's scheduled for early October and I've heard of another modeling event scheduled for the 27th of September being cancelled.

Cheers, Stefan.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:18 PM, Steve N said:

SN

Glad to hear Steve. If I may ask, what is the age of yourself and your wife?