Hi! I know this is a bit subjective, but I need some help with determining what brand and pin vise to get for my plastic model. 

I’ve looked at Tamiya’s pin viseS and bits. They seem great, but seem quite pricey. Do you have any suggestions for a good quality pin vice and drill bits for my plastic models that won’t cost too much? I’ll pay for Tamiya ones if that’s the only route I have to go for good quality ones but I would prefer not to pay about $40 for a vise and bits. 

When it comes to tools, for the most part you get what you pay for. I know it's kind of cliche, but I've found it to be true. Tamiya's tools are kind of pricey but are the best I've ever used. When it comes to pin vices, I have cheap ones and cheap bits. They work but aren't as good as they could be. If someone knows of a good quality set, it would be worth checking out. I might even do the same...

There are several pin vises of average to decent quality available via model railroad hobby suppliers/retailers. Normally bits are sold separately in various sized packs of 2 to a dozen.

A couple places to start looking in US, Walthers, Micro-Mark. Walthers is showing pin vises from around 8 to 15 dollars, you provide the bits.

And from the RC plane and boat world, Tower Hobbies has a set by Testors, pin vise and 5 bits for $12.

Even if one goes the route of a moderately priced pin vise for 10 to 15 dollars the bits are going to add up fast. 

as I stated, you can go thru four or five and have a Starrett with money left over. 

There's a company out of Chicago that sells the micro bits a dozen or so in an envelope. starts out high, but in the end you pay about two thirds the price. 

gary

Starrett. I've had one for over 30 years now and it works as good as the day I got it. Deep jaws on the vice so it holds bits steady. Real machine tool quality. Can be had for about $25, depending on the size you select.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00375DEPI/?coliid=I20ZDP9FNDXB3T&colid=2Y6HORPJ2MKWE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

well it appears that ENCO is no longer with us, and somebody else took over. Selection is not like it was before. On the other hand take a serious look at Victor Machine Tools. They only sell General pin vises, but the their drill bit prices are seriously good. Small number drills come in 12 packs for five to six dollars. I'd find a Starrett and buy drill bits thru Victor. In the end you'll have a great vise and pay for it by not paying thru the nose at the hobby shop for drill bits.

gary

On 6/18/2020 at 10:16 PM, dnl42 said:

Dang! I primarily use the small end. Holds my #80 bit just fine.

Yours looks much better than mine. Guess I got the bad apple :dontknow:

My cheapie pin vise has worked fine for me, but that Starett looks GREAT!!   I may get one just because it looks like it’s a solid piece of hardware, and I like tools like that!!

On 6/18/2020 at 10:45 AM, Chriss7607 said:

When it comes to tools, for the most part you get what you pay for. I know it's kind of cliche, but I've found it to be true. Tamiya's tools are kind of pricey but are the best I've ever used. When it comes to pin vices, I have cheap ones and cheap bits. They work but aren't as good as they could be. If someone knows of a good quality set, it would be worth checking out. I might even do the same...

I agree with you.  Tamiya stuff is quality stuff. 

How many of these have a spin button (or whatever you call that rotating thing on the top of the grip). My electronics screwdrivers have these any it makes turning the handle without tilting the bit very easy and repeatable. 

I have one pin vise that has such a feature. It's from General Hardware, that brand of small tools you find in hardware stores and lumber yards. While the feature is nice, the pin vise itself it only OK. I keep a needle in it and use it as a pin punch and for curve scribing.

8 hours ago, Curt B said:

My cheapie pin vise has worked fine for me, but that Starett looks GREAT!!   I may get one just because it looks like it’s a solid piece of hardware, and I like tools like that!!

Good tools make work easier and I too like the look of a well made tool. Starrett tools look like machinist's tools and feel like them. Like I said, mine is over 30 years old. In fact, now that I think of it, I got it in 1981 or '82. Makes it about 40 years old and it was used when I got it, so God knows how old it really is.

On 6/22/2020 at 11:31 AM, Curt B said:

I have owned a dozen or so pin vises thru the years. all have faults. The Tamiya is pretty good till you get into the #60 and smaller stuff. Just doesn't have the feel you want to keep from breaking off the bit. General is a good but, but for double the price, you can have a Starrett. In my Dad's Kennedy tool box is a Starrett that has to be Korean war era if not pre WWII. It's as good today as when new. One fault all pin vises have is that they don't cut round holes (actually the drill bit's fault), and I have a set of number reamers to clear this problem up when it's important. There is another pin vise that's as good (maybe better) than the Starrett. Think Lufkin made them, and have been out of production for over fifty years (might be Browne & Sharp) . I've got one somewhere.

I mostly used pin vises to drill orfices in 1/8th inch brass pipe plugs. Usually in the .020" range, and they had to be round and smooth. You soon learn who makes a good one and who sells junk. I reamed those holes with a number reamer to get the micro finish and a round hole. By the way, buy a block of bee's wax to lubricate the drill bit and greatly improve the finish when drilling plastics. Soap bars are a substitute, but also not as good.

gary