Amazing build konbini

Your work is inspiring; I'm taking note of the way you add details; could you please describe how you added the detail on the canopy sill? Those indentations are very sharp.

Thank you for sharing and keep the good work.

Carlos

8 hours ago, cruiz said:

Amazing build konbini

Your work is inspiring; I'm taking note of the way you add details; could you please describe how you added the detail on the canopy sill? Those indentations are very sharp.

Thank you for sharing and keep the good work.

Carlos

Many thanks Carlos! We keep on learning from each other here. 

To my knowledge, 3 companies have dealt with adding detail to the f-22 sill area. WolfPack, Aires, and Eduard. In terms of the spacing of the "brackets" only eduard resembles the real thing, but lacks any 3D detail. 

I took a quarter round rod of 0.75mm size (Ideally, a 0.5mm right triangle rod and 0.5mm quarter round is most ideal, but I wasn't able to source them) and sanded down the sides of a rod to get the profile I wanted (ie. triangular, or smaller quarter round roughly 0.5mm thick), and using a fresh modeling knife blade, sliced the rod into sections which matched the size of the markings on the eduard part. The hard bit about this part is some of the bracket "sections" are very very thin. I got around this by careful slicing and making multiple tries and selecting the pieces that make the pass. 

Next I sparingly CA glued (I used the non foggy gel type, because it dries/fixes slower) the larger pieces in the correct right angle orientation to the corresponding marking on the eduard part. I left the paper thin pieces out at this step because it was ridiculously hard to CA glue a paper thin 0.5mm size piece of styrene perpendicularly onto a cramped space. I found a workaround later. Once the larger pieces were secure I then took a strip of 0.5x0.25mm styrene from StripStyrene and cut it to the size of the 6 sections (3 per side), reference photo below, and used tamiya extra thin cement to glue them to the back of the CAed pieces of styrene on the eduard part. This formed the "wall" that you see. The styrene on styrene welded the pieces to the wall together.

Next, after waiting for the area to dry so I don't melt the entire assembly, I dabbed the styrene wall area where the thin pieces go on the eduard part first with tamiya extra thin styrene to get it slightly wet before I tweezer set the remaining thin pieces in. I did this piece by piece, sparingly with extra thin cement.  if the pieces were off, adjustment with tweezers or a blade was all that was needed. Worst case if a thin piece gets ruined I just remade it. 

Summary:

1. Get quarter round/right angle rod, if you can find one.

2. sand it to correct profile if not already in the correct profile

3. slice it into correct size corresponding to the raised marking on the eduard part

4. CA the non paper thin pieces onto the eduard part

5. Attach the wall to the back of the pieces

6. Attach the flimsy paper thin pieces. 

After this and waiting for the whole thing to dry hard,  I glued the two eduard parts (with all of the white stryene secured) to the aircraft fuselage. Finally, some tidying up was needed on parts that stick out to make the whole profile more uniform. 

HTH, let me know if anything is unclear. 

Konbini

Z42z11p.jpg

Thank you konbini, your explanation was detailed and precise, that is a smart approach for this kind of work.

I'll be following this build and learning from your skills, thanks for sharing.

Carlos

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 4:44 AM, cruiz said:

Thank you konbini, your explanation was detailed and precise, that is a smart approach for this kind of work.

I'll be following this build and learning from your skills, thanks for sharing.

Carlos

Many thanks Carlos,

I get a lot of advice and tips from here. If I can contribute just a tiny amount and it helps someone Im very happy. 

More to come, I'm an extremely slow builder. 

Good morning afternoon or evening wherever you may be,

I progressed a bit in the build. I'm taking a leisurely pace with the F-22 whilst waiting for the Caracal sheets to come out. The germs floating around certainly threw a spanner into pretty much the plans of everyone I know including myself. Hats off to Caracal amidst this trainwreck of a year. 

Closing off the airplane and after the glue dried, I spent a long time CA gluing/styrene gluing and sanding the edges of pretty much every surface to get them sharp, and razor sharp where applicable. The leading edge color below is the Hataka light ghost grey which I changed later, explanation down below. 

g3gCP85.jpg

Then I masked with the closed bay option doors. So far so good. I didnt hear or feel anything snap with the doors on, but time will tell, after I take them off later. fingers crossed.

QSxTT6o.jpg

I decided to go get the leading edge highlights and the base color down first. After tinkering with Hataka light ghost grey for the leading edge color I found it to be a bit too dark for my liking, based on the average color I see from reference photos. I went with Hasegawa's mix of Mr. Color 334 and 314(barley grey and blue fs35622) and it was close. I'll weather modify it to taste later. 

After some time masking that color off, again, after lots of tinkering with pure metal spray, and post "sheen" sprays, again I went with Hasegawa's recommendation (315 and SM04). SM04 is out of production to my knowledge but SM204, the next iteration is out and luckily in 10ml bottles. This makes it very easy for me to mix 1:1 by just emptying the contents of both colors into a separate paint bottle. 

qlPDzQg.jpg

Under subdued lighting the color appears grey but sheens in other more direct lighting and angles. Close enough for me :).       After some preshading in black, I spent a some time layering on the raptor grey until the preshading is barely visible and called it off before I push it too far. 

5mug0c6.jpg

mMvCsMl.jpg

Edited by konbini
  • 4 months later...

29 minutes ago, dattaray said:

Hi K. Great work and a lot for me to digest as I plan on building mine.

Are there any more updates? And you've not made any videos have you, of this build?

Thanks

Hi there!

Thanks for your message. So far there are no updates as I am waiting for Caracal to release a set for the f-22. I have contemplated making a compromise and going with the kit decals, but I know based on my awful luck with Murphy’s Law, that the moment I seal everything up the sheets will be released. Caracal has since announced an updated march/april release so I’ll fiddle with other kits until then.  I am currently juggling another f-16 along with a few wrenches COVID threw into my life just for fun. Progress has indeed been very slow. 

re: my f-22 build of course if you have questions/queries I am more than happy to help out as best as I can. 

Konbini

Once I know the schemes for the particular birds Caracal are releasing I will make plans for painting the rest of the camo.  Each f-22 is slightly different; the camo blobs vary in size and shape. Rather than paint a generic camo now then going back later to touch up, I feel it is better to get it done in one go.  

re: sides of cockpit do you mean the sidewalls?  

for the oxy bottles, the bottles were from a 1/72 oxy bottle resin set, chopped to correct length. The cradle was made from thin plastic card cut to shape, and the wires were 0.5 and 0.6mm coated wire. Unfortunately I am unable to get additional pictures as the cockpit is still masked off. 

Hope this helps!

7 minutes ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Wow, stunning! Inspiring workmanship!

Cheers

AFM

Many thanks AFM!

I hope I can benefit people here the same way I get inspired by so many greats in this forum. 

Konbini

On 2/16/2021 at 8:28 PM, dattaray said:

Thanks for the reply. For the body, will you just be adding the darker blobs?

Mainly yes, and any touchups that would be needed. The base color and grey highlights (eg wing leading edge) are finished though. 

5 hours ago, K5054NZ said:

I'm a latecomer to this thread, I wanted to say how impressed I am by your cockpit and bays work. Amazing!

Welcome to my long and slow build. Many thanks for your kind words! The ams desire rubbed off on my quite strongly from this forum. 

7 minutes ago, konbini said:

Mainly yes, and any touchups that would be needed. The base color and grey highlights (eg wing leading edge) are finished though. 

Hope you don't mind my asking you for tips on building the F-22?! If not, the first question is, did you sand the raised parts on the body? If so what grit? And how do I do it without mistakenly brushing/sanding the rest of the body? And thirdly, what grit paper can polish the sanded parts? Thanks!