Good day folks,

After a short break after my F-16, I decided to start work on the F-22 from Hasegawa. I was always a fan of the F-22, from the prototype to the current bird.

Some back info, my apologies bear with me. Historically my luck with the raptor scale model hasn't been good. Testors released a 1/32 kit of the YF-22 a long while back, and I jumped on it. I  was young and totally new to aircraft scale modelling and I thought a few small bottles of testors enamel, a paintbrush, and some glue (and of course it wasn't the proper styrene glue)  would suffice. I completely bombed it.  My second attempt, in my early teens by then, was the Tamiya 1/72 f-22. That went together mostly alright - pretty average. Only a minor hiccup when I tried to rush glueing the landing gear and putting it on its feet too soon. After spraying a matte topcoat I decided to clean up my desk and set the airplane on a stool. I left for a bit of lunch, but came back to a flattened semi-2D raptor. My mother had sat on the poor airplane. My mother was fine, no worries there, the vert stabs were already set at an outward angle, so they flattened outwards.  Maybe the radar signature reduction worked fabulously. Good lesson in aircraft parking. 

Fast forward, surely better luck now.

Work started like my previous build, on the bay. My plan is to slowly build up the bay while I work on other areas. I also spent a lot of time sanding down the armour plates on the top and bottom halves of the fuselage. Some guys don't mind it, I happen to think they are a bit overscale. No problem, nothing sand paper and time wouldn't fix. I added some detail to the coaming. 

I tried to be as realistic as I could with the weapons bay, though knowing it would be on the under side of the airplane and with potentially missiles blocking part of the view, I am trying to work out a balance. I have so far settled with leaving most of the middle part slightly spartan and sprucing up detail around the outer edge of the bay. Still a WIP.  For the blue cable management things I used strips from a drinking straw, cut to appropriate size. 

The ejection seat I decided would be made from the kit parts with a bit of sprucing up via scratch building. I believe this provides best fit and less fighting/fiddling with it. the "sheepskin" texture is made by dabbing on some Tamiya texture paint.

Konbini

fWmlhm7.jpg

YUj8J6L.jpg

jW2b98j.jpg

AFUESi5.jpg

dRg7jSf.jpg

Always nice to see the Raptor in the WIP. Hope you make it really good. It loks like a nice start, I especially like the cables in the bomb bays. 👍 If I build it one day, I would sand flush all the raised details on the fuselage and scribe them instead. That's just a tip of course. 🙂

On 6/18/2020 at 9:17 PM, Gonzales said:

Nice. 

Looking forward to your next updates

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Thanks Jan,

Got one coming right up. 

On 6/20/2020 at 8:33 PM, my favs are F`s said:

Always nice to see the Raptor in the WIP. Hope you make it really good. It loks like a nice start, I especially like the cables in the bomb bays. 👍 If I build it one day, I would sand flush all the raised details on the fuselage and scribe them instead. That's just a tip of course. 🙂

Thanks for the comment. Like my last build I'm hoping to leave no stone unturned. Cabling and scratch making makes my head spin and I do hope it will come out nicely. Surface detail wise, for my build it remains to be seen if I can achieve the desired results, I may need to rescribe a few things. This is where I need a bit of luck =D

Next update, progress in the cockpit.

As mentioned previously, I generally stuck with the kit parts for ease of build and fit. I also slapped on eduard's PE bits - they are a big bonus for me, especially the sharp thin angles for the ejection seat rails, where the kit plastic is just a slab of plastic. Some profanity here and there as I tried to fit on the rails extending past the tub, they were a butt fit joint. After some scratch built cables and detail (such as the ribbing around the, er golf club face looking things behind the cockpit/ejection seat), I sprayed the cockpit tub with Tamiya's rubber black. I tried first with priming in straight black and it was dark....   Tamiya's rubber black is a suitable base black for me. The control stick's buttons were just chocolate bar looking things so I cut them off and made actual buttons for the stick. Eye rest after that.

TCIUl81.jpg

v3AL8AW.jpg

Next up, I followed my previous build with the same technique, using Eduard's cockpit panel's and sprucing it up with bits and pieces of .15mm wire/styrene rods. Once those are on I carefully, very carefully CAed them onto the tub. 

The instrument faces I sprayed with rubber black to simulate "off" and I felt this looked a bit more natural. The kit instrument panel didnt include, what I believe are, leg restraint rope/wire so I scratched these out of 0.3mm styrene rods. 

SWQGRYS.jpg

I sprayed the ejection seat, applied decals, weathered it appropriately, and then set it inside the tub. This will be it for today, a good eye shut lest I bust something or do something I regret to the model. 

Again questions queries suggestions all very welcome. I am looking forward to more progress on this bird. Pics might be in next post as this post encountered the web error message. I'll try again. 

Konbini

Edited by konbini

Post 2 for the update:

Unfortunately the forum didn't allow me to further edit the post, I'll post more pictures here. My apologies.

wGy9AyR.jpg

BFj85jm.jpg

CNqEgHY.jpg

weAHPDc.jpg

4UocEDI.jpg

8F05Rbh.jpg

c5b0b8b.jpg

Konbini

Edited by konbini
previous post web error, picture post here

Amazing work! Just a heads up, if you want to build a plane after the 2012ish time frame (could also be 15, can't remember right now from the top of my hat) there were two rather visible oxygen bottles installed behind the seat. Oh and I would strongly recommend getting some aftermarket decals - the lighter grey on the Hasegawa markings is very off. Either you manage to find some old Two Bobs (long out of print) sheets somewhere or you wait for the upcoming Caracal Decals sheet (I asked them late April about the potential release date and the answer was "at least 3 months away").

18 hours ago, Gonzales said:

Excellent stuff, just WOW.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Many thanks for your kind words! It'll never be perfect but that always give me something to work on. There are so many abesolute beautiful builds here to look up to. 

7 hours ago, blackwidowmaker said:

Amazing work! Just a heads up, if you want to build a plane after the 2012ish time frame (could also be 15, can't remember right now from the top of my hat) there were two rather visible oxygen bottles installed behind the seat. Oh and I would strongly recommend getting some aftermarket decals - the lighter grey on the Hasegawa markings is very off. Either you manage to find some old Two Bobs (long out of print) sheets somewhere or you wait for the upcoming Caracal Decals sheet (I asked them late April about the potential release date and the answer was "at least 3 months away").

Thanks for your comment. You are right! Now that you mentioned it and looking through more reference photos I think it is a good idea to include o2 bottles behind the pit. I happen to have tidbits in my resin box and once shaved down and modified, makes a good approximation. Ill work on these in the meantime. 

I am planning on using the caracal sheet when it is released. At my build rate might be good timing.   Thanks for your advice and suggestions. 

UcOf9zc.jpg

Konbini

Edited by konbini
Grammar
On 6/23/2020 at 2:23 AM, tomfomes said:

Amazing paintjob on that cockpit!!

Many thanks!  My eyes are tired 🤣

Update: I added two oxygen bottles behind the ejection seat and added extra detail to the cockpit rear bulkhead. 

Konbini

7qfLp1W.jpg

ZprvbVX.jpg

hmy2ebN.jpg

haIpxge.jpg

N3Exs61.jpg

wnovTCB.jpg

• 1 month later...

Oh wow, that cockpit looks AMAZING!  

I built this kit somewhat recently, but definitely did not do the detail work you are doing, mine was mostly just an OOB in-flight build.  I do have the remnants of the TwoBobs Langley Raptors sheet, if you would be interested in that, although I am not sure how much useful is left as far as stencils and whatnot.

Hello again,

Many thanks for the kind comments. I have made some progress.

I have finished off the main and side weapons bays, and installed the aim-120s. I also started on the cockpit sill latch detail which I modified from eduard parts with tiny styrene bits. Next I'll be working on the inner exhausts, and wheel bays. Hopefully soon I'll be able to close the fuselage halves together.    In the meantime stay safe everyone.

Konbini

Y036M0n.jpg

B8BPzPs.jpg

Cv7bf8D.jpg

E3l8Iwe.jpg

S5uhOHL.jpg

TLDIGr2.jpg

tLlGo3L.jpg

Z42z11p.jpg

OZNE802.jpg

FkBxg5i.jpg

m95hXts.jpg

Edited by konbini
stability test before commiting more pictures
On 8/13/2020 at 8:12 PM, mikkod said:

Stunning details! Nice work! 

Thanks! Close up work now while I still can 🤣

On 8/14/2020 at 2:37 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

WOW, amazing work !!

Steve

Thanks Steve, Kind words! 

On 8/18/2020 at 8:17 AM, Falconxlvi said:

I love that cockpit!  Incredible how adding buttons and knobs brings the Eduard etch to life!   Very nice job 👍🏻 

Steve

Thanks Steve!

I thought the Eduard bits were fabulous but limitations of PE means every button and switch cannot be 3d. The 48 scale cockpits are naturally bigger and I fiddled with the idea of makinf it more 3d in my last build and it worked out quite well.

On 8/19/2020 at 6:48 AM, 11bee said:

Just saw this thread, that’s amazing work.   Are those oxygen bottles behind the seat part of the mods to counter those pilot hypoxia issues?  

Thanks! I believe so yes- based on the info I read and suggested by fellow members. 

Yet another small update,

First a test fit of cockpit tub and fuselage top, no surprises, they're both kit part based so no fit issues. I sprayed the coaming and sill area Tamiya rubber black and will weather appropriately later.

8U3AFxa.jpg

Next up I spent a long time detailing the main landing gear bays. I tried to match as best I could with the reference photos I could find on primeportal. These are a bit more visible than other aircraft as the bays are slightly canted outwards exposing them to view. 

nwGVRVe.jpg

0BhZIsh.jpg

IBG9guj.jpg

QNgCAe8.jpg

After this was some touch up, gloss spray with weathering via. Tamiya dark brown panel line. 

Konbini

Edited by konbini

There was an error with the server so some pictures would have to go here. Apologies for that.

After this I put together the intakes and crammed everything into the bottom fuselage half. There was some natural warp in the wing roots of the bottom half so it was a bit of a wrestling match between the fuselage, me, and glue. The tiny location tabs have a way of creeping out of its holes which would render any efforts later to mate the top fuselage half pointless. I eventually balanced the wing roots on two Mr. surfacer bottles and set styrene cement bottles on top of the weapons bay whilst clamping down on the runaway tabs. This created the needed weight equilibrium while I wait for the thing to settle. Although a handful I can see potential fit disasters later on if I don't get this step right.

XfAe8a4.jpg

The moment of truth, After I took the bottles and the clamps off the tabs didnt fly off somewhere and everything stayed put. Pheww. It's beer o clock. 

X670JPM.jpg

Konbini

Edited by konbini