CD48168 - 1/48 F-14 Tomcat - The Early Years

This one is almost fully baked - I should be able to post the final draft in a couple of days or so. Markings for prototypes and early test & evaluation examples similar to the other sheets in the "Early Years" series. With this sheet, I have covered prototypes for all important US "teen fighters": F-14, F-15, F-16 and F-18.

The options on the sheet are:

-F-14A BuNo. 157980 No.1 (really short-lived, I know)

-F-14A BuNo. 157991 No.1/X (NASA 991 markings)

-F-14A BuNo. 157981 No.2

-F-14A BuNo. 157982 No.3

-F-14A BuNo. 157983 No.4

-F-14A BuNo. 157984 No.5

-F-14A BuNo. 157985 No.6

-F-14A BuNo. 157987 No.8

-F-14A BuNo. 157988 No.9 Naval Missile Center

-F-14A BuNo. 158612 NATC

-F-14A BuNo. 158616 Patuxent River

-F-14A BuNo. 158619 Patuxent River

Edited by KursadA

Cool!

The modex /nose number that is slanted font, is it "321", or "123" ? or did they do it like that on purpose? Same with the "68" , "86".

Edited by 82Whitey51
30 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

The modex /nose number that is slanted font, is it "321", or "123" ? or did they do it like that on purpose? Same with the "68" , "86".

I believe those are meant to be individual tail numbers (1, 2, 3) not grouped modex numbers (123)

Edited by habu2

Totally awesome!:thumbsup:

So many options that I really hoped to see some day.

I have the early years F-15 sheet, hoping to build one. I have the early years Hornet sheet, more as a collector than really hoping to build one.

But from this one, I'll build several if live long enough.

Thank you, Kursad.:thumbsup2: 

Thanks for the comments! As Habu mentioned, the larger numbers 1,2,3,6 and 8 are the 25-inch tall aircraft numbers painted on the tails of the first few prototypes.  The “sigmoid” (shaped like a slanted S) was on one of the NATC aircraft (158619).

The bottom half of the sheet was designed to be a future high-vis F-14 stencilling sheet in the Basics line that I will release separately sometime later as I expand my Tomcat line-up.

Many of these jets have simple markings and are well documented, so I am pretty sure I got everything right. However, please take a careful look and let me know if you see anything. A couple things that you may ask about: The modex “200” seems to be slanted to the left on both sides of 158612. The additional national insignia is there because some prototypes curiously have been photographed with a national insignia on the under both wings.

The 1/72 version is also in the works, and should be finished soon.

Edited by KursadA
6 hours ago, KursadA said:

Thanks for the comments! As Habu mentioned, the larger numbers 1,2,3,6 and 8 are the 25-inch tall aircraft numbers painted on the tails of the first few prototypes.  The “sigmoid” (shaped like a slanted S) was on one of the NATC aircraft (158619).

Ahhh...OK, thanks for the "gouge". 🤙

2 hours ago, sierrascale said:

I believe the sigmoid S designated NATC Service Test. Yet another (not complaining) must-have sheet for test and eval fans.

Hi Bob,

Does that mean it read "S" on both sides? If so, I need to correct the design and make both sides identical. I was not able to find a port-side photo.

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

Hi Bob,

Does that mean it read "S" on both sides? If so, I need to correct the design and make both sides identical. I was not able to find a port-side photo.

Yes, "S" both sides, for Systems Test (corrected above.) NATC also used a stylized "W" for Weapons Test. 

43 minutes ago, sierrascale said:

Yes, "S" both sides, for Systems Test (corrected above.) NATC also used a stylized "W" for Weapons Test. 

Thanks, I will correct the S markings to be identical for both sides (as opposed to the mirror image they are now). This is why I post the drafts here before anything goes to print...

1 hour ago, pookie said:

Are I and II included in this sheet?

I listed all of the options on the sheet above. Not sure whether you mean aircraft 11 or aircraft 2 with "II", but aircraft #1X (the photo you attached in your post) and aircraft 2 are included.

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

I am redesigning this sheet to make it even stronger - stay tuned. PMTC and Phoenix missile test markings, some new optional details, etc.

Cool. I think stencils are sort of redundant, every kit has a good amount of it.

The F14B Super tomcat ( white and red) would be awesome to have as well.

Also, I didn't see the slanted 1 and 2 (II) on the sheet which is why I was asking about those two.

Edited by pookie
On 6/21/2020 at 1:18 PM, KursadA said:

The additional national insignia is there because some prototypes curiously have been photographed with a national insignia on the under both wings.

#3 (982) had the star/bar on the top and bottom of both wings, so a total of six insignia would be needed. I can send pics if needed, or just search for the infamous pic of the asymmetric wing sweep test. 

22 minutes ago, pookie said:

Also, I didn't see the slanted 1 and 2 (II) on the sheet which is why I was asking about those two.

Please note the giant slanted 1 right underneath "Naval Air Test Center" 🙂 . Aircraft number 2 was marked with "2" and not slanted II (which was applied to aircraft number 11 (BuNo. 157990). I will try to include that on the sheet as well, all it needs is a BuNo. and the slanted "II".

Edited by KursadA
1 minute ago, habu2 said:

#3 (982) had the star/bar on the top and bottom of both wings, so a total of six insignia would be needed. I can send pics if needed, or just search for the infamous pic of the asymmetric wing sweep test. 

Yeah, I noticed - part of the reasons for the redesign. I had to include a second, black insert for the striping anyway, so I am going to move all the BuNo.s and black modex numbers to the insert to add the new markings.

44 minutes ago, KursadA said:

I had to include a second, black insert for the striping anyway, so I am going to move all the BuNo.s and black modex numbers to the insert to add the new markings.

Does this refer to the thin photo calibration/reference stripes that run the length of the fuselage on some of the jets?

Edited by habu2
On 6/22/2020 at 11:54 PM, KursadA said:

Please note the giant slanted 1 right underneath "Naval Air Test Center". It is situated right to the left of a giant 2; which, as a fascinating mathematical coincidence, the next integer after 1.  :-). Aircraft number 2 was marked with "2" and not slanted II (which was applied to aircraft number 11 (BuNo. 157990). 

I saw it, but I could not find enough to do this one:

EDIT:

The (II) is completely different from 1, maybe that's why.

Edited by pookie