Having trouble with my pin washes......

....actually been struggling with it for a week now.

I painted my GWH T-33 with Mr Color paints, I put a couple coats of gloss on and decaled the model. I then added another coat.

I have been trying to give it a pin wash with both Mr Weathering (oil based) and Mr Tamiya (enamel) washes. I put the wash on and it looks great. I tab it on and let the wash run the panels lines themselves.

The problem is when I try to clean-up, I actually draw out all the wash. I have tried two methods. The first is a rub it with a paper towel with a very small amount of oil thinner.

The second method is I dip a q-tip in the oil thinner, roll the q-tip out on a paper towel until it is almost dry. I then gently roll the q-tip back and forth in the direction of airflow.

Both methods end up removing the wash. I let the wash dry before I do this.

I've done this a million times before, I have no idea why it is not working. I feel my surface may be too glossy.

I agree with you. I think the surface is too glossy to let any of the wash "stick" to the model surface. Also, with the color coats and the multiple clear coats, the panel lines have been filled in to some extent, compounding the issue.

Bob

Have you tried adding a little soap to your wash?  It reduce the surface tension and generally helps it to settle where you want it.  Though, on a very glossy surface, its scope for helping will be limited.

Take a pin or other sharp implement and lightly score all the panel lines. That should give the wash some grip.

Alternately, use some other kind of implement to clean the wash that doesn't get into the panel lines. Try a coffee filter, which does not leave fibers behind and has no give so it will stay on the high surfaces. Fold it a few times you have a kind of paper block.