Best way to fix this

Heyo guys,

I’m working on a Grand Phoenix Firefly if running to an issue with the canopy. I probably Did something wrong while building, as this is truly my first experience with resin.  

There’s a large step on the port side of the fuselage. If I press it down harder the step Is resolved, however creates the opposite effect on the rear starboard side. Anyone have any solutions as to how to fix this other than lots and lots of sanding?

Edit: poor grammar 

61353190-5B4D-41BC-940B-759761D01495.jpeg

9D7A09DD-4B01-41C8-B2D2-0E04D7154E6F.jpeg

Edited by davevw

That may be something you did, or perhaps not. Doesn't matter though.

It looks like the canopy is a simple curve. Is that correct? If so, perhaps you could cut a rectangular piece of clear plastic and glue it in place?. You'd only have painted frames unless you tried some decal paper strips or some such.

Kind of the nature of these limited run beasts.  Try gluing one side down and allow it to fully set.  Then glue the other side in place and clamp it in some way to hold it in place while it sets and hope for the best.  

Geoff M

multi step manual (fingers) steps application?  just eliminate finger oil/acids prior to cyocryano application.

OR!....identify why you have "imbalance" in your glue-set

Can you glue some shims in place just inside the cockpit side walls to force the edges of the canopy out to where they belong? Have the edges of the shims just above the side walls..

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary

You may be able to heat the canopy in hot water and reshape it. Alternatively, slice open the spine of the fuselage and add some thin plasticard into the gap to wedge it into a conforming shape.

22 hours ago, Bell209 said:

You may be able to heat the canopy in hot water and reshape it. Alternatively, slice open the spine of the fuselage and add some thin plasticard into the gap to wedge it into a conforming shape.

Trying to widen the fuselage is the better route. I have found that trying to close or open the sides of a clear part invariably leads to stress fractures if not outright cracks or deep fractures. Clear plastic is more brittle that most colored plastics.

Just reread your OP. Is the fuselage made of resin (you state this is your "first experience with resin")? If so, heating the fuselage with hot water or a hair drier may soften it enough to allow you to spread the sides. If you can get them spread far enough, then insert something to hold it that way till it cools. It may solve your problem.

If it is the canopy that is resin, the same procedure may work (hot water being the better choice), but you must be extremely careful, else you will cause fractures or outright breakage.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

For what it's worth you might be able to open the canopy to lessen the step like this photo-

Agapemodels build

Barracuda Studios offers a vacuform canopy (and other accessories) for the Firefly-

Barracudacals search

Need to fill the search box for Firefly...

Hope this helps.

Jim S

Edited by Jim S

Thank you for the replies. Well I cracked the canopy like spiderwebs. As sad as it is it’s ok.  This is my first Kit like this and all the decals are disintegrating, even with ample decal liquid. 

Sorry the hear of you continue struggles.

Microscale makes a decal “Saver”, basically airbrush it over the old decal sheet.

Microscale MI-12

I used to use this on laser printed decals.

Hope this helps,

Jim S

Edited by Jim S

Think Testors also makes a decal bonding spray but your best bet is to locate some aftermarket decals. I believe the Grand Phoenix kit had Eagle Strike decals but I’m not sure....I would offer my kit decals but because the kit is the same age as yours, the decals are probably in a similar state.
I know Print Scale has a 1/48 Firefly I sheet (48-058) but can’t vouch for the quality. Found these also but can’t vouch for quality. 1001 modelkits link

Edited by Jim S