How are the Welsh 72nd DC-9 and late 737 kits?

A friend bought the P-8 Poseidon kit, and found it was a bit too short (10-20 mm I think?) forward of the wing.  Looking at the resin parts, I can't help thinking they are not very refined or detailed compared to what is possible to cast in resin - like Authentic Airliners for example.  The wing profile of the inboard section looks a bit suspect to me - the thickest part was around mid-chord.  Overrall, I wasn't impressed, and if you want a better 737-800, I think the Big Planes Kits will be better.  IF you want a 737-200 or 300, the new resin kits in development promise to be all you want.  Can't comment on the DC-9, but seeing photos of Welshmodels kits, I think they need to up their game in the detail department.

Jens

7 hours ago, jenshb said:

A friend bought the P-8 Poseidon kit, and found it was a bit too short (10-20 mm I think?) forward of the wing.  Looking at the resin parts, I can't help thinking they are not very refined or detailed compared to what is possible to cast in resin - like Authentic Airliners for example.  The wing profile of the inboard section looks a bit suspect to me - the thickest part was around mid-chord.  Overrall, I wasn't impressed, and if you want a better 737-800, I think the Big Planes Kits will be better.  IF you want a 737-200 or 300, the new resin kits in development promise to be all you want.  Can't comment on the DC-9, but seeing photos of Welshmodels kits, I think they need to up their game in the detail department.

Jens

Hi Jens,

Thanks for the report! I was looking at their P-8 and Wedgetail. I am currently working on one of the BPK 737-200's, and after reading your report, I think I'll wait for them to release their 737-800. Hopefully they'll do a Posiden, and maybe even a Wedgetail too 😆 Thanks, Fred.

I would be surprised if BPK don't make a Poseidon at some later stage, although the Wedgetail may be pushing it.  If they are clever, they will include scribed lines inside the fuselage for chopping, then maybe...

7 hours ago, jenshb said:

I would be surprised if BPK don't make a Poseidon at some later stage, although the Wedgetail may be pushing it.  If they are clever, they will include scribed lines inside the fuselage for chopping, then maybe...

My fingers are crossed! Thanks, Fred.

I think we will see how well the 737-8 sells before we try and predict future releases. I have built the Welsh 737 BBJ and have started the P-8 (with a E-7A Wedgetail in the stash) and also am awaiting a pre-orderered BPK 737-8. It will be too late for me if they do release the P-8 but it would be nice if they do.  I also have one of the BPK T-43 kits in the stash.