Just some new Eduard kits

Hi All,

Nothing  really exciting to post here, except I ordered and just received several new Edward kits, the Royal Class P-51D, a Bf-109 E-3 and a Bf-109G-6/AS, and I’m thrilled to have them. I just love these recent Edward kits, and I wish they made more!!  These on top of the Tempest Mk V Series 1and 2, already completed a Series 2, PLUS the Royal Class Tempest kit.  Yes I’m a crazy Eduard guy...and happy about it!

Edited by Curt B
9 hours ago, Waltz41 said:

There will be an Eduard VLR Mustang release later this summer......will have all 9 squadrons from the 3 fighter groups represented with decals in it.  Stay tuned!

Wow, very cool...thanks for the info.  I usually read the monthly Eduard info ’booklet’ about new releases, so I’m sure that will be in there soon.  

22 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

but can you build a Mustang IV?  Wish Tamiya would do one in 32 scale!

gary

Isn’t the Mustang IV just the RAF name for the P-51D?  Why wouldn’t you be able to build one from one of the 1/32 Tamiya kits?  Also, ZM makes a 1/32 Mustang IV boxing, if you really want one.

5 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

but can you build a Mustang IV?  Wish Tamiya would do one in 32 scale!

gary

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Isn’t the Mustang IV just the RAF name for the P-51D?  Why wouldn’t you be able to build one from one of the 1/32 Tamiya kits?  Also, ZM makes a 1/32 Mustang IV boxing, if you really want one.

Yes, Mustang IV is the P-51D, Mustang IVa is the P-51K.   The main visible external difference is that some aircraft had louvred cooling panels in the lower cowling rather than the pattern of holes or blank (parts R7/R8 or R29/R30 in the Tamiya kit);  there may well have been differences in equipment fit (eg radio) as well: I need to dig into my bookshelves and refresh my memory.

So long as you have a way of adding the louvred cooling panels - aftermarket if any or scratchbuilding - an RAF Mustang is certainly possible from the Tamiya kit.  And of course, the Aeroproducts prop for the K is available in the Pacific boxing.

17 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

my understanding is that a Mustang IV is ever so slightly different in the nose area and who knows where else. For sure the radios would also be added to this list. Have a book somewhere that points out the differences. 

gary

12 hours ago, MikeC said:

Yes, Mustang IV is the P-51D, Mustang IVa is the P-51K.   The main visible external difference is that some aircraft had louvred cooling panels in the lower cowling rather than the pattern of holes or blank (parts R7/R8 or R29/R30 in the Tamiya kit);  there may well have been differences in equipment fit (eg radio) as well: I need to dig into my bookshelves and refresh my memory.

So long as you have a way of adding the louvred cooling panels - aftermarket if any or scratchbuilding - an RAF Mustang is certainly possible from the Tamiya kit.  And of course, the Aeroproducts prop for the K is available in the Pacific boxing.

Tamiya sells a P51K, or at least has all the pieces to build one. Revell might have the vent in their kit. I'll have to look see. 

gary

The ZM kit has the gill-type carb intake panels.  It’s on the specific sprue added for their Mustang IV boxing.  The Revell kit also has it on the sprues, but the current kit only provides the early unfilleted tail parts.  Not sure whether any of the the Mustang IVs that had the gill panels were early ones without the fillet.  Aerocraft models makes a late tail for the Revell kit.

Edited by Dave Williams
6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The ZM kit has the gill-type carb intake panels.  It’s on the specific sprue added for their Mustang IV boxing.  The Revell kit also has it on the sprues, but the current kit only provides the early unfilleted tail parts.  Not sure whether any of the the Mustang IVs that had the gill panels were early ones without the fillet.  Aerocraft models makes a late tail for the Revell kit.

I have searched for an RAF Mustang IV without the fin fillet, and keep drawing a blank. Will probably go the ZM route, as I've always wanted to do one of theirs. I look for the Revell kit to be out sooner than later with the late filleted tail. We know the tooling is done already as the parts have been shown. Still I think Revell missed the boat by not doing the A36/P51a instead of the P51d, or P51b! Just never got into the P51d like the early airframes

gary

2 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I have searched for an RAF Mustang IV without the fin fillet, and keep drawing a blank.

I rather think the D-5-NAs (ie no fin fillet) all went to US users. Serial numbers 44-13253 to 44-14052.

Incidentally, just as a check against any photos captioning an RAF Mk IV as a IVa or vice-versa, the RAF serial batches were:

Mk IV: KM493-KM743;

Mk IVa: KH671-KH870 and KM100-KM492.

(Source: The Mustang Story, Ken Delve, Arms & Armour 1999)

HTH

8 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

the Revell kit contains all three vent panels used. Surely somebody sell the RAF radio sets! Just need the correct tail to finish this out.

gary

You'll need a later instrument panel too: that on the D-5 was subtly different.