Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Solo

Eduard AN/AAQ-14 LANTIRN 1:48

Recommended Posts

Very strange: I can see there few details not available on ResKit bomb. Eduard’s ones has got not only more details, but they are much finer and sophisticated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Solo said:

Very strange: I can see there few details not available on ResKit bomb. Eduard’s ones has got not only more details, but they are much finer and sophisticated.

 

There also appears to be a difference in the size. The ResKit bomb appears to be larger in diameter and maybe in length, though that is difficult to determine as the parts are still attached to their casting blocks and not assembled. Would be interesting to know which is closer to the actual dimensions, and that takes us back full circle to the issue of dimensions and plans of ordnance being hard to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right, ResKit bomb is noticeably thicker then Eduard's, Arma Hobby is almost 1 cm shorter then ResKit and Eduard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 4:56 PM, Solo said:

 


767-EC480-047-C-442-B-84-E9-61-DD8-FE925

 

 

 

IMHO, the middle GBU-31 looks more accurate, the bomb body of the top one looks too long and skinny for a MK 84 bomb body.

 

If given the choice, I'd go with the middle one, it looks more like a GBU-31.

 

Just my $0.02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 10:56 AM, Solo said:

You are right, ResKit bomb is noticeably thicker then Eduard's, Arma Hobby is almost 1 cm shorter then ResKit and Eduard.

Eduard brassin shrink almost all their weapons...
And other stuff too.
They should be pay more attention to the details, shape and size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

They should be pay more attention to the details

True regarding everything except weapons and pods. They make best resin ordnance available on the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Solo said:

True regarding everything except weapons and pods. They make best resin ordnance available on the market.

Maybe when they label their stuff correctly.

 

For example, I ordered a set of AIM-54A Phoenix, what did I get, AIM-54C's. Ordered some plain ole GBU-12's, got GBU-12F/B DMLGB, very different weapon from a GBU-12.

 

As far as their stuff being the best resin ordnance on the market, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wish to buy something better for modern jets.

I mean detail quality, not accuracy. I have no idea what are differences between GBU-12 and GBU-12F/B but I see quality differences between Eduard’s, ResKit or AMK ordnance.

Edited by Solo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Solo said:

True regarding everything except weapons and pods. They make best resin ordnance available on the market.

 

No, they really don't. Their ordnance is good, but it isn't the best available on the market. As I pointed out in the A-6 ordnance thread, their MER's are a scale foot too short. You can't put six of their Mk-20 on a MER as they don't fit. Their Mk-82's have a different shape than the Mk-82 bodies that make up their GBU-12, even though they should be the same. Their 1/48 and 1/32 LAU-10's are also a bit too short. 

 

You may love them, which is fine as that is your opinion. However, the only thing they have going for them are the details. As far as accuracy is concerned (which many of us are concerned with), they leave a lot to be desired on several of their items. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 1:30 PM, Solo said:

Maybe Eduard ordnance has some issues, but it is still absolutely the best resin ordnance (and pods) on the market.

 

On 6/28/2020 at 2:38 PM, Solo said:

I am talking about modern jet's weapons and pods: missiles, bombs, rockets, pods. Eduard makes the best ot them.
I like ordnance of ResKit or Armory, but those resins are far behind the quality of Eduard's products.

 

On 6/29/2020 at 4:13 AM, Solo said:

I can see there few details not available on ResKit bomb. Eduard’s ones has got not only more details, but they are much finer and sophisticated.

 

2 hours ago, Solo said:

True regarding everything except weapons and pods. They make best resin ordnance available on the market.

 

Do you work for Eduard? or have some financial interest in their company?  Because you are starting to sound like a shill.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

However, the only thing they have going for them are the details.

 

13 hours ago, Solo said:

I mean detail quality, not accuracy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Solo said:

Wish to buy something better for modern jets.

I mean detail quality, not accuracy. I have no idea what are differences between GBU-12 and GBU-12F/B but I see quality differences between Eduard’s, ResKit or AMK ordnance.

If I'm paying $15 for two bombs I expect both quality and accuracy.

 

I was doing a build for a friend who wanted a specific weapons load, getting something totally different than what I ordered cost me that $15.

 

Think of it this way, you order a F-14D from Tamiya for $75, you get the kit, the box says it's a F-14D but inside are parts for a F-14A.

 

If Eduard was so good they would at least know the difference between their products to ensure they labeled their packaging correctly.

Edited by GW8345

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand.
But what are the differencies between real GBU-12 and Eduard's GBU-12?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Solo said:

I understand.
But what are the differencies between real GBU-12 and Eduard's GBU-12?

I don't know what the differences are between Eduard's GBU-12 and a real GBU-12 are, I never got the Eduard's GBU-12's I ordered, I got GBU-12F/B DMLGB's which are very different from a regular GBU-12.

 

The package said they were regular GBU-12's but when I opened it up I had two GBU-12F/B DMLGB's which were totally unusable to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

I don't know what the differences are between Eduard's GBU-12 and a real GBU-12 are, I never got the Eduard's GBU-12's I ordered, I got GBU-12F/B DMLGB's which are very different from a regular GBU-12.

 

The package said they were regular GBU-12's but when I opened it up I had two GBU-12F/B DMLGB's which were totally unusable to me.


Are you sure those were Eduard and not CMK?  It’s my understanding that the GBU-12F/B has the conduit that runs down the body, and GPS disc antenna on the nose, forward of the fins, and those aren’t on the Eduard GBU-12s that I’ve seen.  However, that configuration is what is in the CMK “GBU-12” box (although the positions of the GPS antenna are 90 degrees off).


It’s also possible that you got a Eduard GBU-49 that was misboxed, but that may have been a rare mistake, because they do make standard GBU-12s in the proper box.


https://www.eduard.com/eduard/gbu-49-1-48.html?cur=2&listtype=search&searchparam=Gbu

 

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/GBU-12-bomb-1-48.html?cur=2&listtype=search&searchparam=Gbu

 

For comparison, the CMK “GBU-12”

 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cmk-5093-gbu-12-paveway-ii-laser-guided-bomb--700047

Edited by Dave Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That is possible, my GBU-12 looks like GBU-12 and that is why I was so surprised by GW 8345 post.
Eduards GBUs looks like real GBUs.
Packing mishap can always be happen.

Edited by Solo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:


Are you sure those were Eduard and not CMK?  It’s my understanding that the GBU-12F/B has the conduit that runs down the body, and GPS disc antenna on the nose, forward of the fins, and those aren’t on the Eduard GBU-12s that I’ve seen.  However, that configuration is what is in the CMK “GBU-12” box (although the positions of the GPS antenna are 90 degrees off).


It’s also possible that you got a Eduard GBU-49 that was misboxed, but that may have been a rare mistake, because they do make standard GBU-12s in the proper box.


https://www.eduard.com/eduard/gbu-49-1-48.html?cur=2&listtype=search&searchparam=Gbu

 

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/GBU-12-bomb-1-48.html?cur=2&listtype=search&searchparam=Gbu

 

For comparison, the CMK “GBU-12”

 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cmk-5093-gbu-12-paveway-ii-laser-guided-bomb--700047

I just dug them out of the box I threw them in and now I feel like an idiot. They are the CMK GBU-12's that are actually GBU-12F/B's and not the Eduard GBU-12's.

 

My apologies to Eduard for me accusing them of screwing up their GBU-12.

 

(However, they did screw me over on the AIM-54A Phoenix's I ordered.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

I just dug them out of the box I threw them in and now I feel like an idiot. They are the CMK GBU-12's that are actually GBU-12F/B's and not the Eduard GBU-12's.

 

My apologies to Eduard for me accusing them of screwing up their GBU-12.

 

(However, they did screw me over on the AIM-54A Phoenix's I ordered.)

 


No worries.  Ask me how I know the CMK GBU-12s are the wrong model....😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Solo said:

But what are the differencies between real GBU-12 and Eduard's GBU-12?

 

The real ones are much bigger and go Boom.

The Eduard ones are smaller and inert.

:monkeydance:

 

.

 

I'll show myself out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Solo said:

I understand.
But what are the differencies between real GBU-12 and Eduard's GBU-12?

The -12F/B has a conduit that runs down the right side of the warhead and GPS antennas on the seeker section that looks kind of like a beer can was inserted just in front of the guidance fins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GW8345 said:

I got GBU-12F/B DMLGB's which are very different from a regular GBU-12.

 

So maybe this is just GBU-49?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Solo said:

 

So maybe this is just GBU-49?

 No. Prepare to enter the rabbit hole...

 

The 500-lb GBU-49 Enhanced Paveway II (EP2) is built by Raytheon and involves a modified tail kit to provide the electrical connection between the aircraft and weapon. Other Raytheon EP2s include the 1,000-lb GBU-48, 2,000-lb. GBU-50, and 250-lb. GBU-59. These weapons were developed for the USAF.

 

The 500-lb. GBU-12F/B Dual Mode Laser Guided Bomb (DMLGB) is built by Lockheed Martin for the USN. Although it does the same thing as the EP2 (GPS backup for the laser guidance), it does so using the original tail kit. In addition to the BLU-111 (Mk 82) based GBU-12F/B, the Low Collateral (LoCo) Damage BLU-126 warhead based GBU-52 is also a DMLGB.

 

To complete the GPS-LGB family is the GBU-54 Laser-Guided JDAM (LJDAM) that modifies the 500-lb GBU-38 JDAM with a DSU-38 Precision Laser Guidance System (PGLS) "nose fuze" coupled with a conduit running along the bottom of the warhead to transmit guidance signals to the JDAM tail kit. The other LJDAMs are the 1,000-lb GBU-55 and 2,000-lb GBU-56. However, only the GBU-54 has actually entered production.

 

Aren't you glad you asked? Are we having fun yet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, it is really difficult to find out something realiable about modern US ordnance so I always make warm welcome for such informations. Wish to know more if you be so kind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@mrvarkOne more time, if I understand it, please correct:

There are three "lines" of GPS-LGB bombs family.
First line is manufactured by Raytheon, all with different tail kit and all with Paveway II, all made for USAF: GBU-59 (Mk.81), GBU-49 (Mk.82), GBU-48 (Mk.83) and GBU-50 (Mk.84).
Second line is Lockheed Martin, with original tail kit and with Paveway II, all made for Navy: GBU-12F/B (Mk.82) and GBU-52 (BLU-126).

Third are modified GPS bombs: GBU-54 (modified GBU-38) and further GBU-55 (GBU-32) and GBU-56 (GBU-31) I believe.
Beside above ones there are just LGB family: GBU10/12/16/24...
Am I right?

 

Edited by Solo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...