American Airlines Gray/Silver?

Does anyone have any hints or thoughts on matching paint for the new American colors? It’s not a terribly metallic gray, but is something of that order. Just curious if anyone else had crossed this bridge before I try to reinvent the wheel. 

• 3 weeks later...

Its called Mica. And in 1/144 scale? I wouldn't  bother with the pearled finish - it would be out of scale. Mica is just a tad darker than Boeing Grey.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 10:21 PM, Vidar_710 said:

Its called Mica. And in 1/144 scale? I wouldn't  bother with the pearled finish - it would be out of scale. Mica is just a tad darker than Boeing Grey.

Tracy

This.  I wouldn't bother with the "metallic" part.  You can only see the metallic if you're standing within 5 feet of it.

Yeah, you would need an incredibly finely-ground mica or pearl to look at all good.  Personally, I think "oversized" mica would look better than none at all, but that's just me.  They do look awfully "plain grey" in a lot of lighting.   But your standard "Tamiya clear pearl" is basically "glitter in a can".    Maybe custom hot rod/motorcycle paints have extra-finely ground pearl additive for airbrushing, that may work well?  Some of them are quite "subtly" pearl with very small particles.    

Edited by David Hingtgen