Gloss coat over decals?

I was taught to put a gloss coat base for my decals, then another to seal the decals in, with a semi-gloss or dull coat over that.

Is that necessary, or can I skip the 2nd gloss coat and go straight to semi-gloss or dull coat?

You can skip this step, if your decals are excellent quality. I find the second gloss coat on top of the decals, followed by a flat or satin coat, really helps to eliminate any silvering and leaves the decal looking painted on. As I said, it's not an absolutely necessary step, but it really does help to give the overall appearance a smoother appearance. This by the way, is only my personal experience. Others may have different experiences.  Hope this helps! 

Hi there...  My experience is that it's dependent on the decals in question.  I have put a second clear coat over decals, and I have gone straight to a matte/dull coat, and in both cases, been successful at creating what is, in essence, 'painted on' looking decals.  I would say that the thicker the decals, the more likely the need for a second clear coat.  With thinner decals, going straight to a matte coat results in a perfectly painted on looking decal.  

3 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hi there...  My experience is that it's dependent on the decals in question.  I have put a second clear coat over decals, and I have gone straight to a matte/dull coat, and in both cases, been successful at creating what is, in essence, 'painted on' looking decals.  I would say that the thicker the decals, the more likely the need for a second clear coat.  With thinner decals, going straight to a matte coat results in a perfectly painted on looking decal.  

3 hours ago, Jamie Cheslo said:

You can skip this step, if your decals are excellent quality. I find the second gloss coat on top of the decals, followed by a flat or satin coat, really helps to eliminate any silvering and leaves the decal looking painted on. As I said, it's not an absolutely necessary step, but it really does help to give the overall appearance a smoother appearance. This by the way, is only my personal experience. Others may have different experiences.  Hope this helps! 

Thanks, these are older (i.e. thick) decals, so Ill go with two gloss coats, followed by a dull coat.

I apply decals directly to the paint, and I apply a coat of clear after the application of decals. I do this to protect the decals from anything I might use to weather, and to have a uniform smooth surface for washes. After I complete weathering, then I apply the final dull coat or satin, whichever is appropriate. 

11 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

I apply decals directly to the paint, and I apply a coat of clear after the application of decals. I do this to protect the decals from anything I might use to weather, and to have a uniform smooth surface for washes. After I complete weathering, then I apply the final dull coat or satin, whichever is appropriate. 

Me, too