How/Where to Apply Spinner Spiral Decal?

Hi All,

This is probably going to win, if such a contest exists, the most 'in the weeds' detailed, goofy question ever posed here, but see what you think, and hopefully, someone will have an answer for me.  I am building the 1/48 Eduard Fw 190D-9 Late #8189 airplane model, and soon, I will need to apply decals.  The spinner spiral decal is the one I have a question about, and frankly, doing so scares me.  I don't have any confidence that this is going to go well.  I have attached a portion of the instruction page for the propeller and spinner, and the page for the paint/decal scheme I'm planning to do.  My question is this...  Where do I start the 'base' part of the spiral decal?  I'm not sure if I have to glue the spinner base (Part Y19) to the spinner (Part Y30) first, obviously trapping the prop between the 2 parts, and then apply the decal (I"m going to use decal #7).  If I do this, would I start the decal application with the "base of the decal" starting at the "base" of Part Y19?  Or, could I apply decal #7 starting with the base of the decal at the 'bottom' of the spinner part Y30, in which case I could apply the decal either before putting the spinner and base parts together, or applying the decal to the spinner Y30 first, and then gluing the base and spinner parts together after I apply the decal?  

I realize this is a horribly detailed question, and I hope that between the instruction excerpts and my words above, my question will make sense.  If not, I can perhaps highlight some of the parts in question in color so it's more clear what I'm trying to get across.  I've already painted and gloss coated both parts in preparation for the decal application, and once the decal is down, I will probably seal the decal with another gloss coat before the final matte or satin final finish coat.  

I would really appreciate an answer from someone who has already built and applied the spiral decal.  Yes, I know I could start by applying the decal at the base of Part Y19, but decals and I have a history of not getting along very well, and with this decal being relatively then in cross section, I'd rather not have to pull up the decal and and start from a different location.  With my luck, I'd rip or destroy the decal in the process, hence, I'm trying to do this right the first time.  

Thank you in advance!

50060443632_e86d7f1525_o.jpg

50060198551_b76a2bf9c6_o.jpg

Edited by Curt B
Problems posting images...
23 hours ago, KenM said:

Spiral does not go onto base plate, spinners were painted off the airplane try starting at the tip and work back.

Thanks for your thoughts.  It turns out that what I feared in fact took place...that I’d mess up the decal.  I did.  Plus, it became obvious, immediately, that the decal is MUCH too long.  So, I decided that painting the spiral would be a FAR better way to go, easier and will look better.  My plan is to paint the spinner in white, then use some Tamiya ‘curve’ tape, and mask off the spiral shape, and then paint the spinner black.  That should leave a nice, clearly delineated spiral shape in white.  I will work on that later today, starting with the white ‘undercoat’ which I’ll do when I get home from work this afternoon. I’ve had some experience doing painted stripes, on tank barrels, using this technique, and it worked well.  

Somewhere, a number of years ago, I can across an article online, telling how to make a spiral mask, for any scale. Unfortunately, 3 years ago I suffered a hard drive crash. I was fortunate to not loose too much info, but I did loose that. I haven't been able to find it again.

Chris

52 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Somewhere, a number of years ago, I can across an article online, telling how to make a spiral mask, for any scale. Unfortunately, 3 years ago I suffered a hard drive crash. I was fortunate to not loose too much info, but I did loose that. I haven't been able to find it again.

Chris

No worries...thank you for the thought.  I've already tried a test case (although not with actual paint) using the 'mask' I plan to use, and I think it will work okay.  I hope!

Edited by Curt B
On 7/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, KenM said:

Check out the Eduard mask for spirals  https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Masks/Aircraft/Spinner-spirals-Fw-190D-1-48.html?lang=1 they have them at Sprue Bros.

Thank you, sir, for the great idea...  However, just before looking here and seeing your post, I tried my own version of a mask, having painted the spinner with Tamiya X-2 gloss white over white Stynylrez primer, and then spraying Tamiya Rubber Black paint over my own mask created with 3mm Tamiya curve tape, the spiral came out perfect!  I guess I"m learning not to be so afraid of trying new things, and thinking that I can't do certain things! 

Edited by Curt B