GWH F-15E - F-15I ra’am

Since the GWH F-15I is more easily available to purchase and a little cheaper could I use that as a F-15E. Of course have to use the decals and proper paint for a USAF E. Tried to find info if they are basically the same airplane or not and didn’t find any definitive answer.  If it is minor modding needed I can take care of that

Kit wise, it’s going to be practically the same as a F-15E.  The main external differences are that the Ra’am has the slim boom on the top of both tails, instead of one large and one slim on the E, and the Ra'am exhausts have the turkey feathers, whereas the E does not.  The kit may have both sets of tail booms on the sprue, but I don’t know if it has the featherless exhausts.  If not, you’d have to find replacements, since that something that isn’t easy to scratchbuild or modify.  Some of the weapons in the Ra’am kit, like the Pythons and Popeyes, aren’t going to be appropriate for a E model either.

Edited by Dave Williams
  • 2 weeks later...

I have not seen the kits up close but the airframe details on the real aircraft are different, also depending on what year E model you want to do with the mods that have been done through the years. Besides what has been mentioned, the nozzles being featherless and counterbalances on the Vertical Stabs having the antenae on the LVS ( Left Vertical Stab), beef up plates under the bullets as we would call them and antenae changes through out. 

Some one with the kit would be best to do pair that but if they are accurate in the box they might require mods or additions. Have fun modeling  if you just want a shelf sitter!

Thanks for everyone’s help with this. In the end I found a reasonably priced E and went with that. It’s on the proverbial slow boat. Of course not long after that the local hobby shops opened back up and they had a kit. Oh well I look forward to it I enjoyed the first one I built so I can clear more of my stash while I wait. 

Andrew