F-14B Tomcat (What if) in 1/72 by Academy

My current project is a "What-if?", using the new Academy kit of the F-14A. The "what if" will mainly focus on armament, color and markings.

jw2iWhc.jpg

The cockpit is a really nice germ, with decals that fit perfectly to the knobs and buttons of the plastic parts. Since I´m doing a "B" instead of an "A", I will have to use some alternative parts, that thankfully are provided in the kit.

Which gun exhaust vents are necessary for the "B" again? I have three different parts as options...

HAJO

I´m alone this weekend - so quite some progress is possible!

jY2QLmZ.jpg

The fit is still excellent, but some things are simply not good in my opinion. For example the wing-mechanism:

QNC9Ag1.jpg

ALL other manufacturers have some sort of mechanism that synchronizes both wings, so that they can be swept and stay symmetric. Academy only offers some pins that allocate to these small openings to keep the wings in one of four different positions. And guess what? After gluing the fuselage top and bottom together, I don´t "feel" these wing positions anymore, so my wings sweep free without beeing tied to these "positions". That´s a minus on my list.

And here comes another one:

This is the front landing gear AFTER I have cut out about 2mm of the hydraulic cylinder:

vJCt4VS.jpg

The original part would only be realistic on a flying aircraft, but certainly not on a parked one. I wonder how this slipped through the design???

HAJO

Well, you have guessed it probably: It will be 14x MK-82 Snakeeyes! 😄

And another aspect of "what if" will be the camo:

LC3xtCk.jpg

FERRIS-SCHEME! 😉

HAJO

I added the clear parts and painted some smaller details.

l0Rd4h8.jpg

Because of reasons I also re-painted the rudder in a blue-ish and darker grey, using Revell 79.

jmw2eZ1.jpg

Now some clear coat to prepare the model for decals.

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

I´m on vacation and therefor can´t do any progress - but there actually is no need anymore, since I was able to get the Tomcat finished on my last evening home!

But I was only able to do some "hush-hush" pictures, I will take some better ones as soon as I return home.

EDKa1Gg.jpg

The 14 MK-82s look awesome one the bird!

xT4R1vZ.jpg

The front part got some sunlight on this picture, it´s usually not that bright in relation to the rest of the aircraft.

kEpUQ6J.jpg

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

Even though it´s way too hot outside these days (today we'll reach around 32 °C, tomorrow are 35 °C forecasted... 😞 ) I shot some pictures of the finished Bombcat:

P92z6A7.jpg

ntoevqU.jpg

lOk3Q0L.jpg

6whu7l9.jpg

kqXmWgC.jpg

OOJNxyn.jpg

djPG1Gt.jpg

GBZnwGe.jpg

And the full bomb load in all its glory:

5magWyN.jpg

gJQuNWA.jpg

MHRKBLP.jpg

QLfJ6Ea.jpg

In the meantime the Tomcat has found a safe parking spot in my office among a couple of HobbyBoss Tomcats:

x2Sd2JM.jpg

zHhQ3bK.jpg

HAJO

• 1 month later...

Nice work! I really like how the paint scheme turned out. 👍

But are you sure about the nose gear oleo being too long as it comes in the kit?
I think the nose gear of your model looks slightly too low in the photos, making the model's nose sit a bit low.
But that may be because of the angle in the photos.

When modeling an airborne Tomcat I spent a lot of time looking at photos of the real aircraft and its nose landing gear. I came to the conclusion that the oleo was of the same length regardless of being airborne (without load) or on the ground (with load).
(However, I did modify the main gear oleas for the proper extended look.)

Tomcat.JPG

Edited by Anders_Isaksson
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2020 at 10:28 PM, Hajo L. said:

The original part would only be realistic on a flying aircraft, but certainly not on a parked one. I wonder how this slipped through the design???

I think it's OK. The front gear is lowerd (as in your model) only when the aircraft is attached to the catapult on the aircraft carrier :-)