Scratch builders - Help!

Hi all of you scratch builders out there!  I am working on a 1/48 Eduard P-51D, and I'd like to do more detail in the under fuselage air scoop.  Below is a photo of the real aircraft. In the kit, they include a photo etch screen like the bottom screen in the photo, but there is no other detail in the scoop.  If the modeler doesn't add any more detail, you would have to glue the PE screen to a piece of plastic that is attached to the bottom of the scoop.  I'd like to detail the interior of the scoop, including the 'walls' that narrow down to the PE screen, and also the walls that narrow down to the upper screen, and also create the shape that extends upward from the lower screen into a flat piece that ends up being the 'lead in' to the upper screen.  Do any of you who are good scratch builders have any ideas about how I might go about creating these 'walls' that lead into these screens?  How would you go about it?  Thoughts?  I have VERY little experience with any scratch building, but I do have several different sheets of evergreen plastic of varying thickness, several different kinds of putty, and several other sundry pieces/parts that might be used for this project, but I have no idea how to approach it in a way that has any elegance at all.  Help????

50076400626_b6dbc52c50_o.jpg

Edited by Curt B