1/48 Yak-28: Bobcat or Hobbyboss

I agree, the Bobcat Yak-28PP is a bit of a hot mess. Nice interior detail and it appears to be accurate but in my experience, it's a bear to get everything to fit. It has the It has lots of exterior details (intakes, antennas, and such) that are mounted on panel like pieces that require lots of fitting and filling once they're glued on. I stopped about half way through mine because I was getting bogged down trying to get everything looking right for painting. I also have the HobbyBoss kit which I haven't started. If it's like other HobbyBoss kits it will go together well. There is one GLARING error on the HobbyBoss kit. The windscreen on the PP is two ovals that form a streamlined V shape. The HobbyBoss kit has a very goofy-looking single oval that in no way resembles the actual aircraft (Bobcat got this part correct). I don't know how you'd fix that; I don't think anyone has offered a replacement piece. So, you can go for accurate and hard to build or inaccurate and easy to build (or if you've got lots of money, you can buy the Bobcat Kit and steal the windscreen for your HobbyBoss kit). Your choice!

To me the Hobbyboss kits have an other bigger problem: the wings don't have enough angle of attack in relation to the fuselage, so that the wings to fuselage joint lines on either side look almost parallel to each other and to the spine:

43165833.jpg

Since airliners.net linking is not allowed, I only have photos from different angles, but the wings on real thing have noticeably more angle of attack, so that the wings fuselage joint lines are clearly not parallel to to each other/to the spine from any viewing angle. When view from above, the wing roots at the leading edge should be more noticeably closer to each other than the wing roots at the trailing edge.

photo_ru_yak-28_1.jpg

Edited by delide
49 minutes ago, delide said:

To me the Hobbyboss kits have an other bigger problem: the wings don't have enough angle of attack in relation to the fuselage, so that the wings to fuselage joint lines on either side look almost parallel to each other and to the spine:

43165833.jpg

Since airliners.net linking is not allowed, I only have photos from different angles, but the wings on real thing have noticeably more angle of attack, so that the wings fuselage joint lines are clearly not parallel to to each other/to the spine from any viewing angle. When view from above, the wing roots at the leading edge should be more noticeably closer to each other than the wing roots at the trailing edge.

photo_ru_yak-28_1.jpg

I see what you mean. Not good.

I didn't look at the kits myself but I think I remember reading that the location of the wings on the fuselage is better on HB than on BM. BM wings set too high apparently.

10 hours ago, Rob Mignard said:

You’re actually describing angle of incidence. I haven’t worked on the HobbyBoss kit so I had not noticed this problem. Thanks for pointing it out. Back to the Bobcat kit I guess.  

I had a strong feeling that there must be an other word for it! Thanks!

6 hours ago, Laurent said:

I didn't look at the kits myself but I think I remember reading that the location of the wings on the fuselage is better on HB than on BM. BM wings set too high apparently.

Maybe the wings sit a bit too high or maybe the angle of incidence is a bit exaggerated on Bobcat, or maybe both? For me it's really difficult to say just by comparing it with a few photos, but in any case it doesn't really look that bad, I think the lack of wing incidence on the Hobbyboss is much more obvious.

After a little more research, it appears that the HobbyBoss kit (kind of) depicts a Yak-27R Mangrove! HobbyBoss has captured the angle of incidence on the Yak-27 perfectly. The main external differences appear to be the wing incidence and inlet spikes that do not extend in front of the engine inlets. I'm sure there are other differences, but a cursory look only uncovered these two. The HobbyBoss kit has the spikes of the 28 and the wings of the 27 as far as I can tell. Google Yak-27R Mangrove and you can see lots of photos.

A few moreYak-38PP/Yak-37R differences:

• The 37R has the same windscreen as the Yak-38P (the HB kit doesn’t work for this configuration either)
  • The 37R has a much smaller nose probe
  • The 37R doesn’t have a window in the EWO’s entry hatch
  • The 37R doesn’t have conformal wing tanks
  • The 37R doesn’t have weapons pylons on the outer wings

I may convert my HB kit to a 37R. It wouldn’t be a hard conversion and would certainly be unique.

Mig

On 7/9/2020 at 12:08 AM, Rob Mignard said:

A few moreYak-38PP/Yak-37R differences:

• The 37R has the same windscreen as the Yak-38P (the HB kit doesn’t work for this configuration either)
  • The 37R has a much smaller nose probe
  • The 37R doesn’t have a window in the EWO’s entry hatch
  • The 37R doesn’t have conformal wing tanks
  • The 37R doesn’t have weapons pylons on the outer wings

I may convert my HB kit to a 37R. It wouldn’t be a hard conversion and would certainly be unique.

Mig

HobbyBoss may have captured the angle of incidence on the Yak-27 perfectly(almost none that is), but the Yak-27 has almost perfectly mid-mounted wings, while the wings are much higher on the Yak-28. The wings on Hobbyboss's Yak-28 are certainly higher than the mid-mounted wings, so you would need to lower the wings too, which may cause problem with wingspan. 

Mid-mounted wings on Yak-27:

soviet-union-air-force-yakovlev-51133.jp

Hobby boss:

43165833.jpg

Edited by delide