Hi guys

I have seen a few of my favourite hobby retailers stocking the Quinta 3D decals. They look quite interesting and definitely more “3D” than the flat eduard pe

Before I go splurge , I was wondering if anyone here has seen these in person and if so what their opinions are.

Posted (edited)

I've installed the MiG-29 parts (1/48) and I'm more than happy! This is for sure an innovation - easy to use and the look is impressive.

Highly recommended!

Edit: Order via ebay, delivery to Germany approx. 4 weeks. But again, I'm very happy...

Edited by Floggerman

I had ordered the Mig-29 (9-12) set, but it got stuck in customs in Russia. I finally had to ask for a refund. I had ordered direct from Quinta via eBay. They processed the refund right away, even though it was after the eBay cut off. If it eventually gets delivered I'll resend him the money. Darn coronavirus stuff is making it impossible to get stuff shipped.

12 hours ago, Mstor said:

I had ordered the Mig-29 (9-12) set, but it got stuck in customs in Russia. I finally had to ask for a refund. I had ordered direct from Quinta via eBay. They processed the refund right away, even though it was after the eBay cut off. If it eventually gets delivered I'll resend him the money. Darn coronavirus stuff is making it impossible to get stuff shipped.

I ordered that set too at the beginning of June. Last I checked it left Moscow on the 18th and no word since then.... I sure it will eventually get here.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:43 PM, Vince Maddux said:

I ordered that set too at the beginning of June. Last I checked it left Moscow on the 18th and no word since then.... I sure it will eventually get here.

Wow, I ordered mine in mid April and its still sitting in customs. Oh well, maybe mine will eventually show up, but I'm not holding my breath.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, ARCAccount#1 said:

Any update to shipping on these?

Hi, I forgot to update this thread. I finally received it on July 23. I had requested and received a refund late in June, but I resent the full payment to them after I received the item.

It was worth the wait. The 3D decals are amazing. Just about every button and switch is represented in 3D. The colors they use are far closer to the real thing than Eduard. They are far better looking than Eduard's cockpit PE in every way.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:34 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Eduard is also getting into this business soon per their last newsletter.  I think it shows promise 👍🏻👍🏻

Hope they do something to get their colors right. They’re color PE stuff has some pretty craptastical color accuracy. 

I’ve ordered two sets from Hobbyzone USA. One for the 1/48 Tamiya F-16 and another for the Kinetic F/A-18. Although I haven’t had a chance to use them the detail is impressive.  My only concern is finding a DGG to match the printed color. It is a little lighter than the MRP DGG I’ve been using. I want to use these before I order more, but from what I’ve seen I would recommend them. 

I have never been a fan of photo etch because it was always 2D and flat. 

Sprue Bros. is now stocking the Quinta sets too.  I ordered the Mi 24 and F/A-18A++ and they are gorgeous!!!  Haven't checked to see which paints match their colors yet.  If Eduard is making them I hope they get the cockpit colors better matched than their p.e.

6 hours ago, falcon74 said:

Sprue Bros. is now stocking the Quinta sets too.  I ordered the Mi 24 and F/A-18A++ and they are gorgeous!!!  Haven't checked to see which paints match their colors yet.  If Eduard is making them I hope they get the cockpit colors better matched than their p.e.

I did see a build of the Mi 24 and the builder was using Akan interior green. The match was pretty good. I’m tempted to try the Akan line for a color match but would rather see if I have something on hand first. 

2 hours ago, Gary F said:

How are the pieces fixed to the model ... self adhesive or something else?

No self adhesive. It's a water-slide 3D decal that requires a specific process to apply which is covered in the instructions. You do need to apply an adhesive such as PVA, MicroScale Metal Foil Adhesive or CYA-gel when applying the decal. Whatever you do, DO-NOT use any decal setting solutions.

Cheers,

John

8 hours ago, Floggerman said:

Thanks for the smart s**t. I just wanted to underline that I have (also) good experiences with it.

Relax! Just clarifying for those that don't know what PVA is since Quinta has very specific instructions on what to use. 

Cheers,

John

12 hours ago, CF104 said:

Relax! Just clarifying for those that don't know what PVA is since Quinta has very specific instructions on what to use. 

Cheers,

John

All good!

I had previously experimented with Future as a "glue" (parts dipped), it was not a good idea because it levels the difference in gloss between the panel and the gauges. I was a little scared with superglue, but that should work.

17 hours ago, CF104 said:

Cheers,

John

I knew that, yep, sure did, yes indeedy, knew it I did... yep... :whistle:

This is maybe a weird opinion but i wish they did "colorless" options. I like the details and the idea, but i don't like it being prepainted, cockpit painting is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby for me. And pre-painted stuff (whether Quinta or Eduard) always felt like "cheating" to me... I mean i dont judge others or think any lesser of a model that uses it, i just personally prefer to paint it myself. 🙂 

31 minutes ago, Berkut said:

This is maybe a weird opinion but i wish they did "colorless" options. I like the details and the idea, but i don't like it being prepainted, cockpit painting is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby for me. And pre-painted stuff (whether Quinta or Eduard) always felt like "cheating" to me... I mean i dont judge others or think any lesser of a model that uses it, i just personally prefer to paint it myself. 🙂 

For a lot of the kits these are made for, they are replacing molded on panels/switches/etc. I can’t speak to every kit, but at least for ones like the Tamiya F-16, I think the molded kit detail and a colorless option would be virtually the same. 

Edited by ESzczesniak

Its been a long time since my hands were steady enough to paint the details in a 1/48 scale cockpit. So, I have been using colored PE for a number of years now. Eduard, Dream Model, Platz, Beaver Model. But this Quinta stuff is a whole new level. Here's a view of their set for the 1/48 Tamiya F-14A...

118648006_2848310065455428_8214684258428

Now that's 3D and while the color might not be a perfect dark gull grey, it is certainly MUCH closer to it than the purplish pinkish grey that Eduard uses.

P.S. if you right-click and select "View Image" you will get a version of the image you can click on and enlarge to really see the 3D effect.

Edited by Mstor