I know this is kinda silly, but I had a simple question about the Horsa glider and it uses. Now some folks get a little worked up when you post in the wrong forum. Well the Horsa ain't got a prop! Sure ain't a jet either. So excuse me for my ignorance. 

Back to the Horsa glider. Bronco makes a nice 1/35th scale kit (actually three different kits). I've seen photos of them with a Jeep in the past, Yet will that glider handle the Jeep and a 75mm Pack howitzer at the sametime? If so, how many men can go with it to the DZ?

gary

A 75mm (or the airborne 105mm) with its towing Jeep and crew would be the typical load in this configuration (presumably with an initial ammunition allocation). Airborne 6 pdrs were also carried (with a narrower carriage).

Highly unlikely that any additional troops would be carried.

Max payload was roughly 7400 lbs but weight distribution and centre of gravity would have been the limiting factor when carrying vehicles or crew served weapons.

John

15 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

A 75mm (or the airborne 105mm) with its towing Jeep and crew would be the typical load in this configuration (presumably with an initial ammunition allocation). Airborne 6 pdrs were also carried (with a narrower carriage).

Highly unlikely that any additional troops would be carried.

Max payload was roughly 7400 lbs but weight distribution and centre of gravity would have been the limiting factor when carrying vehicles or crew served weapons.

John

I did run across a photo of a Horsa glider with a Jeep and the cable laying trailer.  Sorta looking at a diorama using the Bronco airborne Jeep with the 75mm Pack, but that all evolves around the Horsa Glider kit. I never thought I'd ever want the glider kit, but now I do. Really wish it was in 1/48th scale for size alone! 

The inspiration for this scheme comes from the book "A Bridge Too Far", and all those paratroopers went thru to make one man look like a saint! 

gary