1/48 1999 Eagle - Tactical Edition

Hi everyone

I've been a bit quite on the forums lately and that's because I've been spending more time building and less time writing. I had to take a break from the relentless detailing of the Star Destroyer (which I will go back to because I want to see it done), and so for the past month or so, I have been away quietly building my 48th scale 199 Eagle. I've long loved the design of this ship and have dreamed of having a kit of this as a boy when I saw it in an old Airfix catalogue but just never bought one until a couple of years back when I saw one of these going relatively cheaply instead I clearly grabbed one.
Naturally, me being me, I also was never going to paint it like the show. Then I saw The Admiral's build (http://resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=17378 ) and it's inspiration from him that got me going on mine. So I naturally borrowed/stole his cockpit idea and subsequently made my own poorer copy.
However, it reinforced my previous desire for a non standard white Eagle, so I came up with the most obvious option: paint it in black! Everything looks good in black right?!
Painted in Tamiya NATO Black, flat black and German grey and something else to. The engine stuff is all painted in bare metal just because I thought it would look cool. That general concept is prevalent throughout this whole build really
I'm going to blow my own horn here and state that I am super happy with how this came out. Yes - after taking the photos I realised that there are some paint issues to fix that have alluded me prior to now but they are easily fixed and TBH, I'm not going to take another series of shots to show them fixed. It's been hard enough to get enough light to take even these pictures. Love Melbourne weather! At any rate, you'll get the idea from the following pics 😄

50086081002_2119b83360_z.jpg

50085843286_6567d99a89_z.jpg

50085845851_8ff868b1c3_z.jpg

50086082032_31ae11ea5c_z.jpg

50085258608_d083430da9_z.jpg

50085837971_9d855a16e4_z.jpg

50085838851_fb6869fc76_z.jpg

50085841876_94e7ce873e_z.jpg

50082095663_288a1ae84d_z.jpg

50082920537_8ec97692b4_z.jpg

50082921482_23b5082da3_z.jpg

and this is my rudimentary cockpit which I shamelessly stole from Bill. Thanks again mate!!

I can't paint faces to save myself, so I sprayed shaped pieces of masking tape silver followed by clear red and a mist of clear orange. It looks much better to me
The screens behind them are decals which I cut up and stuck onto the back wall with a  hole behind it where fiber optic stubs had been inserted into the side panels - all lit by a single SMD each side. The red cockpit glow is a standard but sanded 5mm LED. It looks good against the black.

50011955312_982348af64_z.jpg

Well, that was a fun build in so far as that I didn't have to make details for anything. Like I said, I'm super happy with this. I think it looks seriously cool, but that's just me
Anyways, thanks for stopping by and having a look.
Si

Edited by The Madhatter

Wow, that looks suprisingly awesome in black.  I had never been interested in this show until I recently bought a ROKU and it had the series on one of the free channels that came with that.  I am really enjoying the show and am about half way through the first season.  The panels/markings that you picked out in grays and the metal on the engines really makes it pop.  The red of the cockpit also goes well with the black.  Great build.

Dude! this is so far beyond awesome. I love it! Everything about it makes perfect sense. Of course the pilots would be wearing special helmets with visors, they're tactical....duh. 🙂

Did you consider making grey'd out versions of the Moon Base Alpha insignia? I think that might be the only thing I personally would have added, but totally works without it as well. super job. Thanks for sharing. And welcome back. (talk about walking back into a room and doing a mic drop)

Bill

thanks very much for the warm reception guys. I was wondering if it would be quite divisive with the hard core fans :coolio:

Hal, I have to say, I found the actual show to be quite rubbish really. The acting was abysmal and some of the plots were pretty off but like many others, I was only ever watching it for the ships :woot.gif:

Bill, thanks so much mate and yes - I did think of markings too but I'm not sure how I would grey one out. I have the symbols that come with the kit. Maybe the black and white one might be the go? TBH, I only gave the briefest thought to markings and even then it wasn't until I'd finished painting that it occurred to me that it has no identifiable markings or symbols on it. I should find some serial numbers from something and use those. I did draw up a little skull that I cut out as a mask to add to the side pod but I thought in the end that it could look tacky, so I passed

I fixed up the paint issues I'd missed prior (plus... one's I think I may have added in the process of photographing it .. :whistle:) so it looks more finished, but now that you've brought that up, I may have to look into doing something about it. I'll take another photo if I do

• 1 month later...