Phantom Euro1 Cammo

Hello,

Undecided about the cammo scheme for my Hasegawa 1/48 F-4EJ.

I like the Euro1 (NATO?) scheme best, but don't know what color to use for the underbelly/belly(?).

I have one such scheme image that shows the belly using the same cammo of the top side, what doesn't make sense for me.

I appreciate your help. 

Cheers,

Flores

Euro 1 cammo 2.JPG

It was a wrap around 'Lizard' sheme though, all of them in the Euro one. And the later SEA camo was also painted in Lizard version too

Hi Flores,

I think the intent of the dark underside of the wraparound camouflage scheme was to hide the plane during its new mission of low level bombing over Europe. The earlier Southeast Asia camouflage scheme, with the light grey underside, was better for the higher altitudes as used over Vietnam, making it harder for an observer looking up to see. With the low level mission, an enemy would most likely be looking down on the F-4. While he’s maneuvering, a steep bank might expose the underside of the jet, and you don’t want a flash of light grey against a dark green background to give away your position. Way back in the 1980s when I was a flight instructor, one of our practice areas was over a low level route used by 4th TFW F-4Es. There was a steep turn along the route in that area, where they’d make a large heading change, and even with their bellies exposed, the Europe 1 wraparound camouflage made them hard to see against the green vegetation below them.

Cheers,

Ben

The Euro1 scheme was used on USAF Phantoms ie: C D E G and RF. The EJ was used by JASDF and never wore Euro1. The JASDF did have a two Green /Grey scheme of their own with Lt Grey undersides.

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Hi Flores,

I think the intent of the dark underside of the wraparound camouflage scheme was to hide the plane during its new mission of low level bombing over Europe. The earlier Southeast Asia camouflage scheme, with the light grey underside, was better for the higher altitudes as used over Vietnam, making it harder for an observer looking up to see. With the low level mission, an enemy would most likely be looking down on the F-4. While he’s maneuvering, a steep bank might expose the underside of the jet, and you don’t want a flash of light grey against a dark green background to give away your position. Way back in the 1980s when I was a flight instructor, one of our practice areas was over a low level route used by 4th TFW F-4Es. There was a steep turn along the route in that area, where they’d make a large heading change, and even with their bellies exposed, the Europe 1 wraparound camouflage made them hard to see against the green vegetation below them.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your crystal clear explanation.

Now the wraparound cammo scheme does make sense.

👍👍👍👍

Cheers,

Flores

2 hours ago, scotthldr said:

The Euro1 scheme was used on USAF Phantoms ie: C D E G and RF. The EJ was used by JASDF and never wore Euro1. The JASDF did have a two Green /Grey scheme of their own with Lt Grey undersides.

Hi  scotthldr,

You are right. 

My Hasegawa F-4 came with the JASDF markings.

I will favour the lizzard wraparound scheme instead, and will have to buy a set of low-vis decals.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Flores

4 minutes ago, amflores said:

Hi  scotthldr,

You are right. 

My Hasegawa F-4 came with the JASDF markings.

I will favour the lizzard wraparound scheme instead, and will have to buy a set of low-vis decals.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Flores

Check your sources on the plane you are wanting to do.   The EJ kit comes with the hard wing and different wingtip antennas specific to the Kai.   I believe that most USAF E's had the slatted wing by the time they went to the Euro 1 paint scheme.   

6 hours ago, PouK9 said:

Hi PouK9,

I understand that the reason for the low-vis markings is to avoid contrast with the Euro1 color scheme.

So, the Sidewinders should be painted using the same scheme of the wraparoud. 😂😂😂😂😂

Just for laughs.

Cheers,

Flores

10 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

Check your sources on the plane you are wanting to do.   The EJ kit comes with the hard wing and different wingtip antennas specific to the Kai.   I believe that most USAF E's had the slatted wing by the time they went to the Euro 1 paint scheme.   

Thanks, but I'm not that detailist. 👍👍👍👍

Flores

On 7/7/2020 at 12:16 PM, Drifterdon said:

Hasegawa released both EJ and EJ Kai kits. If you have the plain old EJ kit it will have the standard wingtip and vert stab antennas. It is the old hard wing though, but if you're not picky, as you stated, it should suffice for an early F-4E.