OLDIES BUT GOODIES - CLASSIC KITS WORTH BUILDING

Hello all,

I often marvel at the old kits that are still excellent to build today with even today's standards. Three are three kits that I can think of. First is the Monogram 1/48 P-51D. Until it was dethroned by Tamiya 51D, it was the to go kit in this scale for 25 years plus. You still can build a very quality D model today. The second was the Revell Me 109 G 1/48. It was viewed as the most accurate 109G for over 30 years with recessed panel lines and accurate outlines. The third is my all time favorite " oldies but goodies" and that is  Nichimo Ki-43 in 1/48. Over 40 years with recessed panel lines, full cockpit and full detailed engine! That kit is way better than Tamiya 1/50 version. I love it so much that I bought another kit just to have in my collection! The last photo is my build of the plane. Do you have " oldies but goodies" kit? Share here with us! Dai

x7M9OXs.jpg

vOwN31S.jpg

Y05o3QN.jpg

Y60gJWO.jpg

Hello all,

Getting past the late 60's releases with toy like features like folding wings, wheels like the Zero, Spitfire, Wildcat... Monogram's later releases were dominant in the modelling community. Yes the F86D is quite nice. I think it is still the best 86D in the 1/48 scale right? Too bad they folded. Dai 

Edited by dai phan

If you want a CHEAP high quality WW2 Japanese fighter, get the Nichimo Ki-43 in 1/48. I look at the tooling and I could not believe this is over 45 year old kit! Recessed panel lines, full engine and cockpit ! For some odd reasons, who ever designed this kit was way ahead of their time. Oddly other Nichimo kits at this time were nothing to write home about. Dai 

Edited by dai phan

Hi all,

There is a Japanese movie about the squadron commander and flyers in the Ki-43 and I considered it to have the best in flight, on the ground footage of this important fighter. Consider it was made in 1944, in flight action shoots were very impressive even by today's standard. They use actual P-40s, Buffalos and others  for the shots.  This was made in 1944 with Tokyo bombing just around the corner. It is amazing how they pulled this off. With all the sad news around the world, do yourself a favor and watch something quality and educational. Watch it!  Dai 

Edited by dai phan
On 7/8/2020 at 9:55 PM, dai phan said:

Hi all,

There is a Japanese movie about the squadron commander and flyers in the Ki-43 and I considered it to have the best in flight, on the ground footage of this important fighter. Consider it was made in 1944, in flight action shoots were very impressive even by today's standard. They use actual P-40s, Buffalos and others  for the shots.  This was made in 1944 with Tokyo bombing just around the corner. It is amazing how they pulled this off. With all the sad news around the world, do yourself a favor and watch something quality and educational. Watch it!  Dai

WOW !!!  :woot.gif:

Thanks for this, Dai.  That was amazing to watch. Those in-flight scenes.....SPLENDID!  :woot.gif::woot.gif:

1 hour ago, JackMan said:

WOW !!!  :woot.gif:

Thanks for this, Dai.  That was amazing to watch. Those in-flight scenes.....SPLENDID!  :woot.gif::woot.gif:

1944 movie! Imagine that ! This film is well known among Japanese historians for it providing a rare valuable insight into weathering. schemes of the Japanese Army fighters during WW2. You can feel the Japanese admitting defeat toward the end of the movie. Such a sad ending. Hardly a movie for propaganda or war bonds driving as some viewers suggested. Dai 

Edited by dai phan

In the late 70s the original, pre-merger Venice Beach California Revell released several nice 1/48 single engine prop fighters. I had a spitfire Mk II that I sold on ebay, but it really looked nice. I did a little research at the time, and until more modern kits were released it was the go to 1/48 spitifre. That BF-109 Dai Phan mentioned looks interesting as well. I also have the Revell P-51D, which was later issued as a racing P-51, which looks as good as, or even better than the monogram kit in the box. 

What I also like about the Revell kits of that era is that the sprue (or the tree, if you want to be technical)  goes all the way  around the parts, like a modern kit.   If you look at newly tooled Revell car kits of that era, they were really starting to step up.  I am curious to know what ever became of the Revell (not monogram) P-51D. 

Another oldie that is  not talked about much any more is the Esci 1/48 F-4 family. This kit has engraved panel lines and is really easy to build, it has very shallow intakes and little cockpit detail, but it really looks nice when built and painted.  I think Italeri has most recently released it.

48 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

In the late 70s the original, pre-merger Venice Beach California Revell released several nice 1/48 single engine prop fighters. I had a spitfire Mk II that I sold on ebay, but it really looked nice. I did a little research at the time, and until more modern kits were released it was the go to 1/48 spitifre. That BF-109 Dai Phan mentioned looks interesting as well. I also have the Revell P-51D, which was later issued as a racing P-51, which looks as good as, or even better than the monogram kit in the box. 

What I also like about the Revell kits of that era is that the sprue (or the tree, if you want to be technical)  goes all the way  around the parts, like a modern kit.   If you look at newly tooled Revell car kits of that era, they were really starting to step up.  I am curious to know what ever became of the Revell (not monogram) P-51D. 

Another oldie that is  not talked about much any more is the Esci 1/48 F-4 family. This kit has engraved panel lines and is really easy to build, it has very shallow intakes and little cockpit detail, but it really looks nice when built and painted.  I think Italeri has most recently released it.

The 1/48 Revell P-51D (Man o's War scheme) is vastly inferior to the Monogram P-51D. I built both and the R offering is poor in detail and inaccurate in outline. The M P-51D is till among the best with today's standards except for raised panel lines. The Revell 109G for many years is still considered on par with the Hasegawa offering. At its time it was highly praised. Dai 

Some of my latest aquisitions. I have developed a taste for classic kits lately as some subjects are simply not available as a modern tool and they are often still a good base for a nice build.

img_20200707_194434hj0i.jpg

Cheers

Markus