1/48 Rafale C Revell or Hobbyboss

I’d say Revell.  The Hobbyboss kit is kind of a copy.  The latest Revell C release (03901) is nice as it includes the bomb racks with LGBs, as well as includes the parts for the M on the sprue.

I don’t believe that Rafales use Meteor.  They use MICA EM and IR versions.

On 7/9/2020 at 2:52 PM, Solo said:

Revell's Rafale M (C and M are very similar) is one of their best kits 1:48 ever. Beautiful details and very good fits. Building that kit was a great pleasure.

Image1.jpg

I just want to say - that is a beautiful build. Almost makes me want to go out and pick up one of these kits for myself...

agreed, Revell is great

I built both revell and hobbyboss on a AAR diorama. Beside the decal, wheels and the fact that is seems a early model rather than an operational model HB is not that bad, but the revell kit really shines by providing later operational use details such as the CM ejectors, correct bomb loads and pylons etc etc. Most of the resin bits I had were mated to the hobby boss kit. 

Both kist suffers from lack of intake tubing but it's not that critical to be honest

057_final.jpg

I wish we could have a modern/new tool of the Rafale, no intakes was unfortunate, but Revell also got the canopy shape wrong.

For anyone interested, notice the top outline of the main/middle section on the real thing, how it's mostly almost straight and starts to curves down more after the pilot's head/near to the front frame(a bit similar to the canopy of a Mirage):

rafale.jpg.c792cc594c8a6806afe8b44bc57f29ac.jpg

On the Revell kit, the "straight" portion is noticeably shorter, it curves down almost in the middle. To me it spoils the look a bit, anyway, a new tool would be nice! 

4 hours ago, stalal said:

Revell. When you see its surface details, you wont believe its a Revell kit. Their best kit of all that I have seen from them. 

Yes, it looks amazing, such a shame that we never saw that kind of tooling on their kits again!

8 hours ago, delide said:

Yes, it looks amazing, such a shame that we never saw that kind of tooling on their kits again!

look at some of their WWII kits. The FW190 and ME262 just jump out at you. As for the canopy issue; looks like the camera angle to my eyes. Either way not enough to loose any sleep over

gary

5 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

look at some of their WWII kits. The FW190 and ME262 just jump out at you. As for the canopy issue; looks like the camera angle to my eyes. Either way not enough to loose any sleep over

gary

Nah, I have my much better/preferred choices for FW190 and ME262 😉 The point is that the majority of their later kits do not have the same level of sharpness in tooling. Anyway, I'll be waiting for their SR-71 then. 

Well, anyone who has the Rafale kit/model in their hand can judge the canopy issue for themselves, I mention it because I know it's not camera angle, becaue I see it with my own eyes, which are no cameras LOL. I'm not telling anyone to loose sleep over either. I for one will be dreaming of a new tool Tamiya Rafale 😛 or maybe Kinetic would be great too!

Edited by delide
On 7/15/2020 at 10:32 AM, Thomas said:

Intake trunks are available. I have them, very nice.

D-Mold

Did you have to modify/shorten the main landing gear struts? I ordered this for mine and when I was dry fitting it, I noticed that the main landing gear bay on the resin part did not have the depth required to fit the kit's main landing gear struts. I ended up not using the intakes in the end.

And like everyone else, the Revell kit is the better choice. Very crisp detail. 

1 hour ago, Sysxii said:

Did you have to modify/shorten the main landing gear struts? I ordered this for mine and when I was dry fitting it, I noticed that the main landing gear bay on the resin part did not have the depth required to fit the kit's main landing gear struts. I ended up not using the intakes in the end.

And like everyone else, the Revell kit is the better choice. Very crisp detail. 

Haven´t built it yet, good to know.