My build of Revel 144 Shuttle

Some photos of my build from a few years ago. I used medical tape for the TPS and added details to the launch platform. I'll try and add more photos - but the site won't let me. See what you think....

RET

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

Hi Ret,

Welcome to the Shutte group here, your  Revell Shuttle is very impressive & nice.....😄

The use of surgical tape to stimulate the TPS is nice touch, never mind if not scale correctly, each to his own, it looks great

on the model to represent the surface as seen in the real Shuttle.

Endeavour is the youngest Shuttle in the fleet, so she looks cleaner.. 

Try use postimage to upload more images, its free.

Please....do so.  I am sure many Shuttle freaks is eager to see your nice 1/144 Shuttle....

Cheers,

George

Edited by jetplane

Hello George - thanks for the kind words - I know Pete and a few other folks on the forum - always nice to meet more. I'm following along your build as well with keen interest! Here's another angle of my 144 stack and an image of my 1/72 Revel Shuttle - both were done awhile back - hopefully I've learned a few things since  - I'll try and post more.

Take care - RET

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

Hi Ret,

Very nice 1/72 Shuttle with simulated TPS, Revel kit isn't it?  Could you post more pictures of it?

More side with view of landing gears, rear etc..

Your 1/144 MLP with the added service masts details is nice too,  similar to our member-crowe-t 's  1/144  stack.

I have the same Revell  MLP Base too, but I haven't get around to add the details, maybe I use it as a guide to scratch

build a correct size MLP in 1/144.

Until then looking forward to see more photos of your nice Shuttles.

p/s- I'm still working on my Tamiya 1/100 Shuttle, a little painting to simulate the various TPS shades.

OV-103 has more missions flown, so she is heavily 'weathered' and that is a challenge to paint her as how she looks

with all those TPS patches.

George

George - thanks - been following your 1/100 build - beautiful shading you've done!  The 1/72 pictured above is the Revel - it was built before I learned about such "advanced" techniques such as sanding seems :-) - I'll see if I can post more....

On 7/12/2020 at 1:03 AM, Ret said:

George - thanks - been following your 1/100 build - beautiful shading you've done!  The 1/72 pictured above is the Revel - it was built before I learned about such "advanced" techniques such as sanding seems :-) - I'll see if I can post more....

Ret,

Thanks for the compliment on my 1/100 Shuttle, your 1/72 is very nice too.

😉curious to see more on the side views, we all know this big Revell Shuttle has cons and pros, but we 've tried our best to make it look better.

I think yours came out very nicely, especially those TPS are replicated with surgical tape, it really fits well on the larger model in terms of scale appearance.

want to try it on my 1/72 Shuttle soon if I get around to build it.

George

Hi Jetplane - thanks for the comments - here are some other images - I think as Pete once said - "good from afar - but far from good".

I have another 1/72 Shuttle I've been working on for awhile now - hopefully will learn from my earlier build. - see what you think....

Shuttle 1.JPG

Shuttle 2.JPG

stack 1.JPG

The 1/72 build was one of my first while getting back into building scale models - I was trying techniques I'd seen and admired from other folks builds - I added the TPS "medical tape" tiles one by one - on the 144 build -which came after - I started adding whole sections of the medical tape and then cutting the tile shapes afterwards. This was faster and much easier - the model was then painted and weathering was done after with some diluted artist's ink  - applied almost like a light watercolour wash. I also painted various areas with differnet shades of white and grey for added weathering...

Edited by Ret
18 minutes ago, Ret said:

Hi Jetplane - thanks for the comments - here are some other images - I think as Pete once said - "good from afar - but far from good".

I have another 1/72 Shuttle I've been working on for awhile now - hopefully will learn from my earlier build. - see what you think....

Shuttle 1.JPG

Shuttle 2.JPG

stack 1.JPG

Ret,

Its looking great! the effects of the TPS is captured very well by using medical tapes on the 1/72 Shuttle. the TPS blankets on the model looks exactly like the real Shuttle!

You have done a  good finished 1/72 Shuttle with tapes for TPS here so far as I've seen in ARC.

Can't wait to see your next 1/72 Shuttle, what ship name will it be?😎

Oh....😄  Discovery & Atlantis seems to be the most popular modeled Ship.....least is Endeavour.

Which version of OV-103 you are modelling after? early version or the late?

I think I may model my 1/72 as Columbia as a tribute to her.

Cheers,

George

12 hours ago, Ret said:

Shuttle 1.JPG

Shuttle 2.JPG

Your tiles look just fine Ret. Mine look the same and if you consider the scale thickness of the tape, it's, like, 2" thick ... so it's gonna look a little strange, but it beats the hell out of the smooth surface of the bare kit.

Your leading edge RCC panels look GREAT .......... hey, wait a minute!! Where's the BIG UNITED STATES decal on the side??  :doh:

And the Windows look TERRIFIC ... all in all, this looks pretty dang good!

Nicely Done Ret!

Pete

Thanks Pete! - yes there should be a big "United States" on the side - except that when I was reworking the wing root seam I tore them off - both sides - just never replaced them. Nothing gets past Hawkeye! :-)