Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

1/72 F-35A decals

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I've finished wrestling the cockpit decals on my Academy F-35A and have confirmed from research regarding the company's kit decals that I'll need something better for the rest of the airframe.  I've got the chosen unit markings no problem, But not the rest of the airframe stencilling/markings.  Where can I source F-35A airframe markings, USAF style?

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolfpak has several sheets that include one or more F-35A options. To the best of my knowledge, the data stenciling is the same for all operators (e.g. NATO members all have the warnings in English), so any set should give you the basics you need.

 

Wolfpak also did a full set of RAM decals (sized for Academy). They're currently OOP from the original source, but available from the printer Fantasy Printshop (and possibly other vendors).

 

Fantasy Printshop - F-35 RAM decals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quixote74 said:

Wolfpak has several sheets that include one or more F-35A options. To the best of my knowledge, the data stenciling is the same for all operators (e.g. NATO members all have the warnings in English), so any set should give you the basics you need.

 

Wolfpak also did a full set of RAM decals (sized for Academy). They're currently OOP from the original source, but available from the printer Fantasy Printshop (and possibly other vendors).

 

Fantasy Printshop - F-35 RAM decals

 

I'm using a Wolfpak sheet for the unit's markings already.  And I've got their RAM sheet as well; I'm a big Wolfpak fan.  Those aren't the problem.

The problem is the rest of the stencilling/airframe markings.  Yes, they come with the kit, but the decal quality is TERRIBLE.  They look good on the sheet but once applied they give almost zero reaction to Solvaset and absolutely do not want to adhere!  Result, the kit decals are worthless.  

 

This morning I came across a discussion over in Props regarding this company's kit decals of recent years and found I wasn't alone, and that I would not have any more luck when I go to decal the airframe.

 

So, my question remains, is there aftermarket out there for the generic USAF stencilling/airframe markings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have the RAM sheet and the markings included in a Wolfpak sheet for the type, I'm not sure what other markings you really need.  Comparing the Academy sheet to Wolfpak's the only "missing" marks I can spot are a few extremely small (to the point of being illegible, and barely noticeable) data marks.

 

The only other options I know to suggest would be trying Furball's sheet (for the B model), or possibly data markings for either a Mod Eagle scheme F-15 or the Have Glass V "Dark Viper" scheme F-16s.  Not sure if either of the latter would have exactly what you need or be the correct color, just suggesting possible solutions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, the Wolfpak sheet has the unit-specific markings (tail codes, SerNos, unit badges) along with ejection seat triangles, rescue arrow, US insignia and arresting hook stencil.  

What it DOESN'T have is stuff like the slime lights, "no step" stencilling, hook/lift stencils and a bunch of other smaller stuff.  The first item especially is of course very F-35 specific and very necessary. 

Maybe the Furball is the way to go if it's got this stuff, just hate to pay more again of course 🙂 

Thanks!

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Caracal CD72029 is sold out in most places - I will release a new 1/72 scale F-35A sheet (essentially a scaled down version of this sheet, with many updates for new units and recently applied unit markings for some countries).

Edited by KursadA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One possible solution for the Academy decals is using really hot water, then rolling a wet Q-tip with moderate pressure. Then, use a hair dryer on hot and see if the decal begins to settle down. Just be careful with the hair dryer - get too close to thin plastic items like stabilizers and you could quickly and irreversibly melt/distort the model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KursadA said:

Caracal CD72029 is sold out in most places - I will release a new 1/72 scale F-35A sheet (essentially a scaled down version of this sheet, with many updates for new units and recently applied unit markings for some countries).

 

Sounds great! ....except when? Airframe's almost done lol....

...not that I expect any company to jump when I say so....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul Boyer said:

One possible solution for the Academy decals is using really hot water, then rolling a wet Q-tip with moderate pressure. Then, use a hair dryer on hot and see if the decal begins to settle down. Just be careful with the hair dryer - get too close to thin plastic items like stabilizers and you could quickly and irreversibly melt/distort the model.

 

Yep, I hear that....in the pre-digital age I was trying to photograph a beautifully detailed and finished Matchbox T-2C, using lenses fitted over the end of the 35mm camera, with work lights from the garage illuminating the Buckeye.  Suddenly as I watched through the camera, the whole plane shuddered, then both wings curled up like pig's tails, to my horror!!  Just the heat of the work lamps was enough to do this. :bandhead2::soapbox:

 

Was a moment I'll never forget, much as I try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...