Tamiya Clear/Mr. Color Thinner over Alclad

Does anyone have any experience spraying Tamiya Clear thinned with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner of Alclad?  I do normally do things in this order, but am contemplating painting the metal leading edges on my Blue Angels A-4F before the decal clear coat.  Mr. Color Leveling Thinner seems a bit hot, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience for better or worse?  Thank you.

Eric

Did you mean spraying Tamiya Clear over Alclad?  I personally have no experience doing this, but i have read others' experience doing so.  As I understand it, using pretty much anything other than the Alcad Aqua Gloss will not allow the Alcad to retain its 'metal-like' appearance.  If your question is whether you can apply Tamiya clear in order to get a smooth, gloss coat in preparation for application of decals, again, its my understanding that you can do it, but you will sacrifice the Alcad metal appearance, and it will look more like a silver paint.  I'm sure that there are many other here who have actual experience, but this is what I've picked up by reading many posts and threads in a variety of forums.

8 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

Does anyone have any experience spraying Tamiya Clear thinned with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner of Alclad?  I do normally do things in this order, but am contemplating painting the metal leading edges on my Blue Angels A-4F before the decal clear coat.  Mr. Color Leveling Thinner seems a bit hot, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience for better or worse?  Thank you.

Eric

Any clear coat NOT designed to be applied over NMF will dull the coat that looks like flat dull aluminum. Even coats designed for NMF STILL degrade a bit. I have yet to see a gloss coat that does not affect the luster. Dai  

Why not just paint the leading edges after the clear coat?  I don't think any decals would be in the area to worry about and it would be a pretty easy masking job. You might want to mask the area prior to clear coat to keep the original paint substrate for the Alclad.

Bob

I had been worried more about paint interactions. Except for the exhaust, the areas look a bit more like painted silver. Hence why I’ve been entertaining the idea. I like to paint as much as possible early when touch ups are easier.