Copying a real part with a 3D printer...

I was wondering if it is possible or even cost effective to copy a real aircraft part with a 3D printer. I was thinking it would be cool to display an Airfix 1/24 scale Hellcat in-flight with a motor mounted on top of a reproduction of the control stick grip. I could get the genuine article but wouldn't want to permanently destroy it by mounting the model onto it. My idea was to 3D print a copy, paint it, and use that. 

It's just an idea I was kicking around that I thought would be cool. I don't know much of anything about 3D printing so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

In order to create original 3d printed parts you need to be able to use CAD programmes to design the print files, so it isn't a simple process if you have no experience of them. You would also need access to a large 3d printer. Typical hobby/home printers won't have a big enough 'bed' (print area) to print something as large as a control grip. If you can create the files, there are companies out there that can print it for you.

You would need to scan the original part to create a CAD model of it using 3d scanning technology. It's how the likes of Airfix start their design process these days - they scan an entire aircraft. Then you'd need to clean up the CAD drawings and prep it for print. Lots and lots of work, even for an experienced CAD designer.

A better starting point would be to source original technical drawings of the part, scan those and then build the CAD drawing from those - but that's still a fair amount of work.

Alternatively you might be able to find a 3d print file that already exists (on websites like thingiverse) or perhaps somebody already offers a replica control stick as a display ornament?

Another alternative would be to commission someone to design and print it for you (or even get it carved it from wood). That of course is likely to cost you a fair bit.

John

Another alternative, since you're a skilled modelbuilder, is to find the appropriate reference material and scratchbuild a full scale replica of the actual grip.  The end result would be no different than a 3D printed replica...except it wouldn't be a 3D print.