USS Bonhomme Richard on fire

15 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Here, this gives a good look at flight deck's current condition, 

Appears to have quite a list to port. They appear to be pumping water from somewhere and dumping on the opposite side of the pier. Water collected from all that used to fight the fire? Could that be causing the list?

18 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Appears to have quite a list to port. They appear to be pumping water from somewhere and dumping on the opposite side of the pier. Water collected from all that used to fight the fire? Could that be causing the list?

Yes, the list is from the water used to fight the fire collecting in compartments below the main deck.

2 hours ago, Mstor said:
17 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Here, this gives a good look at flight deck's current condition, 

Actually, in about the same, or even less, time than it takes to post here you could plug Bonhomme Richard list cause in to Google and get things like,

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/38-sailors-injured-in-uss-bonhomme-richard-fire-no-threat-to-ship-s-fuel-tanks-1.637455

Maybe it's just because I'm autistic but I truly don't understand why so many people around the web will ask instead of searching and getting the answer in less time than it takes to ask and wait for a response.

"Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck, the commander of Expeditionary Strike Group 3, which includes the Bonhomme Richard, ... The fire has moved throughout the ship and has caused damage to its superstructure that sits on top of the ship and where the bridge is located. The amount of water that has been used to fight the fire also has caused it to list, Sobeck said.

37 minutes ago, southwestforests said:

Actually, in about the same, or even less, time than it takes to post here you could plug Bonhomme Richard list cause in to Google and get things like,

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/38-sailors-injured-in-uss-bonhomme-richard-fire-no-threat-to-ship-s-fuel-tanks-1.637455

Actually, my Google Foo is quite good. I chose to ask the question here. Googling for info often generates a great deal of hits, even when the search criteria is relatively narrow. Sometimes its easier to just ask the very knowledgeable people here. And in the interests of generating discussion of a subject I know little about (damage control on Navy ships), I asked.

Edited by Mstor

Oh dear. Is it just me, or does this draw parallels to the Fitzgerald and McCain incidents? I don't know much about Navy protocols, so I 'm not going to comment about it. Just strikes me as odd that there have been two fires within a week of each other onboard two LHA's.

3 hours ago, Zactoman said:

USS Kearsarge, sister ship to Bonhomme Richard, catches fire on Friday while in maintenance. :doh:

Navy issues stop order and directive to ensure compliance with fire protocols.

https://justthenews.com/government/security/navy-orders-shipyard-stop-work-after-fire-quelled-aboard-sister-ship-bonhomme

Evidently an ember from some welding going on landed on some plastic and started to smoke. No actual fire occurred and the fire team that was standing by extinguished it right away. Guess it was just too much of a coincidence and the Navy order the halt.

Fires happen all the time aboard Navy ships, it's just this one made the news because of what happened to the BHR.

If the BHR hadn't had a fire the one on the K-sarge won't even be mentioned past the shipyard's gates.

On 7/20/2020 at 1:30 AM, Mstor said:

Evidently an ember from some welding going on landed on some plastic and started to smoke. No actual fire occurred and the fire team that was standing by extinguished it right away. Guess it was just too much of a coincidence and the Navy order the halt.

Yep, my favorite source says same.

(Tangential trivia, In 1960s my Dad was on the CV-33 incarnation of USS Kearsarge.)

https://news.usni.org/2020/07/20/minor-incident-at-nassco-norfolk-leads-to-maintenance-stand-down-part-of-larger-safety-push-following-bonhomme-richard-fire

‘Minor Incident’ at NASSCO-Norfolk Leads to Maintenance Stand-Down; Part of Larger Safety Push Following Bonhomme Richard Fire

July 20, 2020 6:10 PMUpdated: July 20, 2020 7:14 PM

NASSCO spokesman Anthony Paolino told USNI News today, “The event on Friday was metal slag from welding work dropping onto a vacuum cleaner in the space below, which did not result in a fire. Two subcontract companies were welding in the vicinity of the incident. Three fire watches were stationed in the work area. An ember from the welding melted some plastic on the top of a vacuum cleaner that was nearby. There was no fire started, but in an abundance of caution, one fire watch used an extinguisher to ensure a fire did not start.”

Though the incident did not result in a fire, in light of the recent fire that caused extensive damage on fellow Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), the Navy ordered NASSCO-Norfolk to stop work.

“On July 17, the Navy was informed of a small fire aboard USS Kearsarge (LHD-3), currently conducting a Selected Restricted Availability at General Dynamics NASSCO – Norfolk. The fire was quickly extinguished by the fire watch and resulted in minimal damage. In response to this incident, the Navy has issued a stop-work order for all ships in maintenance availabilities at GD NASSCO Norfolk to ensure compliance with all established fire protocols and procedures,” Naval Sea Systems Command spokeswoman Colleen O’Rourke told USNI News today.

and then,

https://news.usni.org/2020/07/22/stop-work-order-lifted-at-nassco-norfolk-after-fire-safety-walk-through-training

Stop-Work Order Lifted at NASSCO-Norfolk After Fire Safety Walk-Through, Training

By: Megan Eckstein

July 22, 2020 3:08 PM • Updated: July 22, 2020 5:09 PM

“To remove the stop-work order, General Dynamics NASSCO – Norfolk was required to validate proper housekeeping and cleanliness, removal of unnecessary clutter and ensure unrestricted access to firefighting and damage control equipment,” NAVSEA spokesman Rory O’Connor told USNI News today.
“Secondly, NASSCO employees and subcontractors supporting GD-NASSCO – Norfolk were required to complete fire and general safety training. Compliance with these actions is necessary to ensure established procedures and protocols are adhered to in order to prevent any unforeseen incidents or fires. Navy officials verified that these actions are complete, and as such, have lifted the stop-work order.”

NASSCO spokesman Anthony Paolino told USNI News on Monday that the Navy and NASSCO had done a walk-through on two aircraft carriers that NASSCO is supporting as a subcontractor, and that NAVSEA cleared them to resume work late Monday. NASSCO is also the prime contractor for maintenance work on five surface ships, and those were cleared yesterday to resume work after NAVSEA determined the requirements of the stand-down had been met.

Article continues,

Another small fire occurred Monday morning at Newport News Shipbuilding while working on the future John F. Kennedy (CVN-79). Shipyard spokesman Duane Bourne told USNI News that a stop-work order had been in place immediately after the fire.

“Newport News Shipbuilding personnel responded to the aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy (CVN 79) at about 10:15 a.m. Monday, July 20 after a report of a minor fire aboard. Emergency crews quickly extinguished the fire, and the ship was evacuated while it was being ventilated due to smoke. There were no injuries as a result of the fire,” he said.
“Newport News Shipbuilding secured all hot work on CVN 79 while the cause of the fire is being investigated and a yard-wide stand down was conducted for fire safety. The Navy and Newport News Shipbuilding will restore hot work on CVN 79 once the investigation is complete and any necessary corrective actions are in place.”

Shipyard President Jennifer Boykin wrote on Facebook, “Although the fire was put out quickly, we did experience heavy smoke and immediately evacuated the entire ship. The damage was contained to the compartment where the fire occurred, and we are investigating the cause.”

On 7/19/2020 at 10:34 PM, caudleryan said:

Oh dear. Is it just me, or does this draw parallels to the Fitzgerald and McCain incidents? I don't know much about Navy protocols, so I 'm not going to comment about it. Just strikes me as odd that there have been two fires within a week of each other onboard two LHA's.

And speaking of the Fitzgerald

https://news.usni.org/2019/05/31/fitzgerald-co-destroyer-repairs-at-risk-from-poor-shipyard-fire-safety

Fitzgerald CO: Destroyer Repairs at Risk from Poor Shipyard Fire Safety

May 31, 2019 3:08 PMUpdated: May 31, 2019 7:36 PM

Poor fire safety practices in the yard are putting at risk the two-year, $523-million effort to repair USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62), the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer heavily damaged in a deadly 2017 collision, warns the ship’s commanding officer.

Cmdr. Garrett Miller, commanding officer of Fitzgerald, noted a series of more than 15 fire safety incidents aboard the ship since it arrived at the Ingalls Shipbuilding yard in Pascagoula, Miss., nearly 18 months ago. Fitzgerald was heavily damaged on June 17, 2017, when it collided with ACX Crystal off the coast of Japan, killing seven sailors in what was the first of two deadly DDG collisions with commercial ships that summer.

“The lack of fire safety is a major concern on this project and I am extremely concerned we are on a path to have a catastrophic fire event on board. NSA (Naval Supervisory Authority) and KTR (contractor) leadership have taken measures to curtail, but they have been marginally effective. I have seen improvements in government [oversight] in the past few months, but little change in craft deck plate compliance. The most recent incident is uncomfortably similar to the recent USS Oscar Austin industrial fire,” Miller writes in a May status report submitted to Navy officials earlier this month and obtained by USNI News.

USS Oscar Austin (DDG-79), which Miller refers to, is another destroyer being worked on at the BAE Systems Norfolk Ship Repair yard in Virginia. It was nearing the end of a year-long upgrade period when a fire broke out on Nov. 10, causing significant damage.

• 4 months later...
On 12/2/2020 at 3:30 PM, ChesshireCat said:

just scrap it and drag something outta mothballs. The tax payer is tired of buying floating targets for the Navy when they already have too many anyway. 

gary

CJCS Milley Predicts DoD Budget ‘Bloodletting’ To Fund Navy « Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary

The 2022 budget request will be interesting.