1 hour ago, SERNAK said:

The story of my (scale modelling) life!!!

Being a big fun of Adversaries and planning to build as many as possible (before I "buy the farm") interesting paint schemes, I must have spent more than a thousand dollars on buying mainly decals, kits, colours (FS) from different companies, and the necessary accessories to finish them. AND I still need more kits (52 and counting) and decals' sheets!!! 

Do you need A-4's? A couple years ago I bought a box (12) of Monogram Hi-Tech A-4's with the intention of doing Adversaries with the Fights On decals. I used one kit out of the dozen, then sold the decals and the box has sat in the closet ever since. I've moved and downsized, so I'd be up to making space and getting rid of the box. PM if interested.

On 7/13/2020 at 6:09 PM, dnl42 said:

A new-tool highly detailed, well-fitting kit will be released right after you complete that old dimensionally-accurate-but-devoid-of-detail kit with fully scratch built cockpit, wheel wells, and landing gear. (Lindberg 1/48 F11F-1 Tiger, do you hear me?)

I'm with you on this, but would like to slightly modify from my specific experience:

If the exact sub-type of the subject is not produced by any kitmaker anywhere, and you've waited years for it to emerge, simply kitbash/scratchbuild/modify into the correct type at great expense of time and effort (not to mention swearing).  Shortly after you finish, it will be announced, then produced, by a major kitmaker.

(actually happened with my 1/72 MiG-21PFM)

1 hour ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

I'm with you on this, but would like to slightly modify from my specific experience:

If the exact sub-type of the subject is not produced by any kitmaker anywhere, and you've waited years for it to emerge, simply kitbash/scratchbuild/modify into the correct type at great expense of time and effort (not to mention swearing).  Shortly after you finish, it will be announced, then produced, by a major kitmaker.

(actually happened with my 1/72 MiG-21PFM)

Lol.   You guys know that I’m the reason Tamiya just released their 32nd scale F-51D, right?  

It never fails.    

On 7/17/2020 at 7:46 PM, 11bee said:

Lol.   You guys know that I’m the reason Tamiya just released their 32nd scale F-51D, right?  

It never fails.    

If you built the version with the intent of forcing reality to produce a new kit, I afraid this supposition has been tested and found to be false. Consciously building a kit in order to force the subsequent release of a new and better version of that kit seems to defeat the actual consequence. It only works if the builder does his kit with no anticipation of a new and better kit. This also forces the builder to spend large amounts of money on accessories and aftermarket in anticipation of the build. Sometimes it is not even necessary to build the kit, only that one spend enough money and energy collecting everything they need to build it to force reality into having a new and better kit produced. :whistle:

This happened to me with the Su-17/22. I got the old KP kit, spent great gobs of money and time finding the old Cutting Edge aftermarket sets, OOP photoetch, hard to find and oop decals and more. I have a large cardboard box full of the stuff I bought just for a Su-17/22 project. Then Kitty Hawk released theirs. I, of course, bought it. Don't know what to do with the other stuff.

P.S. 11bee, not trying to imply that that is what you did. Just used your post as an excuse to expound at length and try to sound like I know what I'm talking about. Nothing, of course, could be further from the truth. :naughty:

Edit: Was Su-17/22 I had, not Su-25.

Edited by Mstor
5 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Do you need A-4's? A couple years ago I bought a box (12) of Monogram Hi-Tech A-4's with the intention of doing Adversaries with the Fights On decals. I used one kit out of the dozen, then sold the decals and the box has sat in the closet ever since. I've moved and downsized, so I'd be up to making space and getting rid of the box. PM if interested.

Will keep you in mind Darren and thanks for your offer.

9 hours ago, Mstor said:

If you built the version with the intent of forcing reality to produce a new kit, I afraid this supposition has been tested and found to be false. Consciously building a kit in order to force the subsequent release of a new and better version of that kit seems to defeat the actual consequence. It only works if the builder does his kit with no anticipation of a new and better kit. This also forces the builder to spend large amounts of money on accessories and aftermarket in anticipation of the build. Sometimes it is not even necessary to build the kit, only that one spend enough money and energy collecting everything they need to build it to force reality into having a new and better kit produced. :whistle:

This happened to me with the Su-25. I got the old KP kit, spent great gobs of money and time finding the old Cutting Edge aftermarket sets, OOP photoetch, hard to find and oop decals and more. I have a large cardboard box full of the stuff I bought just for a Su-25 project. Then Kitty Hawk released theirs. I, of course, bought it. Don't know what to do with the other stuff.

P.S. 11bee, not trying to imply that that is what you did. Just used your post as an excuse to expound at length and try to sound like I know what I'm talking about. Nothing, of course, could be further from the truth. :naughty:

I tend to dabble in a little esoteric type stuff..mysticism, occult...I have a guru I follow.  One concept I find intriguing is the Universal Law of Attraction.  Basically, a thought combined with an emotion as though the thing actually exists will force the thought to be manifested in physical form.  I know these anecdotes about spending time and money on a subject that isn't Available are pretty funny for the most part.  But there is a part of me doing the dog head tilt thing as I'm reading.  Hey, I like to consider the possibilities...very entertaining thread, makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one😃

The closer you get to completing a kit, the more interest you lose in it and set it aside to start that kit that you really want to work on....before you know it you have a dozen kits started but not completed....

8 minutes ago, fasteagle12 said:

The closer you get to completing a kit, the more interest you lose in it and set it aside to start that kit that you really want to work on....before you know it you have a dozen kits started but not completed....

Yep.  This is kinda like the bit of  ho-hum I'm getting as I begin final assembly.  This is quickly followed up by a "now what?" thought when it's done

2 hours ago, fasteagle12 said:

That makes sense, I've got a lot of that in life in general, but with modelmaking, I'm sort of an inverted bell curve.  I begin with full zest and enthusiasm....then it wanes off...until I "rediscover" it and find my second wind.  When that happens, finally, and I'm hitting the home stretch, I'm almost obsessed with finishing.  Times like that I've got to remind myself of my priorities.

9 minutes ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

That makes sense, I've got a lot of that in life in general, but with modelmaking, I'm sort of an inverted bell curve.  I begin with full zest and enthusiasm....then it wanes off...until I "rediscover" it and find my second wind.  When that happens, finally, and I'm hitting the home stretch, I'm almost obsessed with finishing.  Times like that I've got to remind myself of my priorities.

I agree.  I've recently decided  to finish (and actually did on a couple) some of my long started kits that have been sitting around for years.  In most cases, they were just awaiting painting.  That said, I find it extremely difficult to not break out one of the other dozen or so kits that I really want to build.

Edited by fasteagle12
1 hour ago, fasteagle12 said:

I agree.  I've recently decided  to finish (and actually did on a couple) some of my long started kits that have been sitting around for years.  In most cases, they were just awaiting painting.  That said, I find it extremely difficult to not break out one of the other dozen or so kits that I really want to build.

On that, I adopted a practice a few years back that has worked wonders.  I treat kits like driving in heavy traffic: only keep your eyes on the one in front of you.

I'm thinking I will have multiple new  builds these days, plus all the old unfinished ones in plastic drawers near my bench/table so I can switch interests like the wind.

When you need to glue two parts together, and you've made sure the mating surfaces are completely flat and completely clean, and you've got the superglue to the exact consistency you need, and you know it will take ten minutes to set, and you have to hold it in your hands because no jig on earth will do the job, but that's alright because you've finally perfected your Zen technique for breathing through your ears ...

... the phone will ring.

5 hours ago, fasteagle12 said:

Yep, this.

26 minutes ago, pigsty said:

When you need to glue two parts together, and you've made sure the mating surfaces are completely flat and completely clean, and you've got the superglue to the exact consistency you need, and you know it will take ten minutes to set, and you have to hold it in your hands because no jig on earth will do the job, but that's alright because you've finally perfected your Zen technique for breathing through your ears ...

... the phone will ring.

The phone ringing is too specific. In truth, it will be something that requires your immediate attention. A child will cut their finger, the dog/cat will knock over something, wife will demand your immediate help/attention, i.e. something will occur that cannot be ignored and you will either have to put the parts down, ruining the bond, or run out with said parts in hand and try, unsuccessfully, to deal with whatever the situation/crisis is.

6 hours ago, Napalmakita said:

I tend to dabble in a little esoteric type stuff..mysticism, occult...I have a guru I follow.  One concept I find intriguing is the Universal Law of Attraction.  Basically, a thought combined with an emotion as though the thing actually exists will force the thought to be manifested in physical form.  I know these anecdotes about spending time and money on a subject that isn't Available are pretty funny for the most part.  But there is a part of me doing the dog head tilt thing as I'm reading.  Hey, I like to consider the possibilities...very entertaining thread, makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one😃

Believe it or not, I am familiar with the concept, having also "dabbled" in the occult. In Wicca it is simply called magic. Being able to effect reality using the mind to visualize what is desired and then apply the energy of strong emotion to bring it into existence. Don't tell anyone I said this. It is a closely guarded secret. :naughty:

I love Schrodinger's Super Glue. Maybe it dries instantly, maybe it never does. 

Also, paint bottles somehow get heavier right before they're empty. You pick them up and it feels about half full, but you open it and NOPE! Go back to the store!

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

The phone ringing is too specific. In truth, it will be something that requires your immediate attention. A child will cut their finger, the dog/cat will knock over something, wife will demand your immediate help/attention, i.e. something will occur that cannot be ignored and you will either have to put the parts down, ruining the bond, or run out with said parts in hand and try, unsuccessfully, to deal with whatever the situation/crisis is.

:rofl:

I wish I were only imagining what this was like.

1: The "self adhesive" color p.e. will firmly adhere to whatever you DON'T want it to.

2: Lose a kit part. Search everywhere for it but fail to find it. Get on Sprue Brothers and order the Quickboost (or applicable alternative) replacement. As soon as the new part arrives you will find the original kit part.

Those are my top two that I regularly deal with.

On 7/13/2020 at 5:51 PM, Darren Roberts said:

When you see something you want, buy it, because when you go back for it at a later date, you won't find it.

Very true.  The best kits seem to disappear quickly.  Either the limited stock has been bought up, or worse, upon inquiring you learn that it's now out of production.

11 hours ago, RedHeadKevin said:

I love this.

Of course, it can only remain in an indeterminate state until you look at it. Then the state collapses and it is one or the other. Usually that means it is glued to your finger.

After finding a long sought after item on eBay with a high initial price, watching the item, entering a bidding war and finally winning the item for some ungodly price, the same item will show up on eBay the next day for a fraction of the cost you payed. (which you will also buy just out of spite)

Lose a critical part, finally determined lost forever after days of exhaustive searches.

Grudgingly invest money for replacement.

Before replacement is even installed/used (or in some cases before it's delivered), the original is found, silently proclaiming ignorance of having caused any distress....

19 hours ago, RedHeadKevin said:

It's a sticky subject.  Have you tried using a feral accelerator?

You spend time carefully cleaning up mold lines and mold misalignment on a part. You carefully look it over. Fully satisfied, you glue it into place. The very next time you look, you see a glaringly obvious missed mold line that is now wholly impossible to address.