2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

You spend time carefully cleaning up mold lines and mold misalignment on a part. You carefully look it over. Fully satisfied, you glue it into place. The very next time you look, you see a glaringly obvious missed mold line that is now wholly impossible to address.

How about the mold line you don't see until the model is assembled, painted and decals applied. This one ALWAYS happens to me. These days I just figure it is just the price I pay for trying too hard. :dontknow:

5 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Lose a critical part, finally determined lost forever after days of exhaustive searches.

Grudgingly invest money for replacement.

Before replacement is even installed/used (or in some cases before it's delivered), the original is found, silently proclaiming ignorance of having caused any distress....

Or, you lose said critical part, but while searching for it, you find a previously lost OTHER critical part that youve since  replaced....

Edited by goondman
12 hours ago, Mstor said:

How about the mold line you don't see until the model is assembled, painted and decals applied. This one ALWAYS happens to me. These days I just figure it is just the price I pay for trying too hard. :dontknow:

If it's an old build I will leave it as it is and just finish it! If it's a new one, I will definitely put the time and effort to finish it.

On 7/18/2020 at 5:50 AM, fasteagle12 said:

The closer you get to completing a kit, the more interest you lose in it and set it aside to start that kit that you really want to work on....before you know it you have a dozen kits started but not completed....

+100 !!!!!

On 7/13/2020 at 9:09 PM, dnl42 said:

A new-tool highly detailed, well-fitting kit will be released right after you complete that old dimensionally-accurate-but-devoid-of-detail kit with fully scratch built cockpit, wheel wells, and landing gear. (Lindberg 1/48 F11F-1 Tiger, do you hear me?)

A new-tool highly detailed, well-fitting, and very affordable kit will be released right after you finally acquire the  multiple PE and resin sets that quadrupled the base cost of that old dimensionally-accurate kit.

^^^ These!
Banged away on a Matchbox FJ-4B Fury some years back, scratchbuilt stuff, etc, etc...

Finished it up...and a within a couple of weeks the Grand Phoenix kits came out...along with sheets of aftermarket decals.  😩

On 7/16/2020 at 6:26 PM, pigsty said:

Anything will fit perfectly so long as you don't apply glue.  Anything engineered to fit perfectly without glue* will be impossible to take apart after test-fitting, unless you break it.

Items dropped on the floor become invisible to the naked eye and can be found only with the naked foot.

You will run out of a crucial paint colour only when it's another week before you can buy more and there's absolutely nothing else you can be doing to your model to fill in the time.

* I have my doubts about this - sounds like the "non-iron shirt" to me

Your first point: so true. 

Items dropped: I must disagree.  The castors on the chair I sit in are quite effective at finding things as well, particularly windscreens and so on.  Just listen for the "C...rrr..unch!"

Edited by MikeC
On 7/17/2020 at 8:46 PM, 11bee said:

Lol.   You guys know that I’m the reason Tamiya just released their 32nd scale F-51D, right?  

It never fails.    

Can't thank you enough 😁

Geoff M

• 2 weeks later...

when prying your exacto towards your thumb (similar to rolling your fingers as in making a fist) to clean some sprue off a part you'll think you're being careful day in and day out....but the bottom of the blade will bite you at least once a month...by my current calculations.  I thought I grew out of this.

The part you drop on the floor will naturally not be within bending over in chair reach so you'll need to get up

and there it is; you coulda just picked it up while you were sitting.

no matter how little Testors model glue you need....the tube gives you MORE.  TOns more.

that cheap brush you have that is shedding?  when you brush to pick up that bristle in your paint another bristle is left in its place.

now these are all Stupid Hurts errors....and Mr Murphy loves stupid like me.  🙂

Edited by Bounce

Soon after you finish your latest masterpiece, you will find research which shows you have painted some part of it in the wrong colours.

If you drop a piece on the floor, it's never where you expect it to be. I.E just at your feet. The part you have dropped will be on the other side of the room.

----------------------

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 7:09 PM, dnl42 said:

A new-tool highly detailed, well-fitting kit will be released right after you complete that old dimensionally-accurate-but-devoid-of-detail kit with fully scratch built cockpit, wheel wells, and landing gear. (Lindberg 1/48 F11F-1 Tiger, do you hear me?)

Amen to this!   Or right after you do all the work to make a conversation of said kit.  (Monogram F-105G to F-105D)

Edited by Drifterdon
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 7:46 PM, 11bee said:

Lol.   You guys know that I’m the reason Tamiya just released their 32nd scale F-51D, right?  

It never fails.    

Indeed!

I just got mine and forgot to thank you.

Loved your build BTW.

Edited by tourist

The aftermarket set that you need for a build will be missing so you will purchase a replacement after an exhaustive search then when the build is complete you will find the first set.

16 hours ago, Stephen said:

The aftermarket set that you need for a build will be missing so you will purchase a replacement after an exhaustive search then when the build is complete you will find the first set.

A more general version of this rule can be stated thusly...

Whenever you plan a project ahead of time, when it comes time to obtain the requisite items for the project, any number of them will unavailable. This includes everything from the model kit itself to aftermarket parts, decal markings, paints needed plus any number of building supplies. This will delay said project, but a true modeler will push on, searching online, asking on forums. They will pay exorbitant prices to get when they need. Buy from unknown sources from every corner of the globe. Then once they have everything they need and are ready to start, virtually every item will become available at a much lower cost and from well known sources. Either that or new and much improved versions of what you wanted will become available that you just have to have.  Thus, the cost of any project will increase to use all available discretionary funds.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:21 PM, habu2 said:

Any kit stash will expand to completely fill the available space. 

This is profound. I am tempted to call this one of the Noble or A Priori rules from which others tend to follow, i.e. the one I sighted on the first page regarding work areas.

Your wisdom sheds light on us all. I am not worthy. :gr_hail:

:whistle::naughty:

The drying time for CA (superglue) is inversely proportional to the level of skill and effort required to accurately place the part.

The size of a glue smear or paint run is directly proportional to the visibility of said flaw.

The countdown to a completion deadline (e.g. contest) is never linear.

On 8/17/2020 at 10:21 PM, habu2 said:

Any kit stash will expand to completely fill the available space. 

16 hours ago, Mstor said:

This is profound. I am tempted to call this one of the Noble or A Priori rules from which others tend to follow, i.e. the one I sighted on the first page regarding work areas.

Your wisdom sheds light on us all. I am not worthy. :gr_hail:

:whistle::naughty:

I'm not entirely sure this is true however. It seems to me it doesn't matter how little space you think you have; there's always room for one more...

1 hour ago, WymanV said:

I'm not entirely sure this is true however. It seems to me it doesn't matter how little space you think you have; there's always room for one more...

At which time the stash will once again expand to fill the available space....  :monkeydance:

Rationalizing a decision does not mean the solution is rational....   (I should trademark that one)

7 hours ago, WymanV said:

Jello!!