Trying to organize my modelling desk.

I have had my paints stored in plastic bins over my desk for the longest time. Every time I needed to get a particular paint out to use, I would have to pull the bins down, try to find what I needed, and then put them back up. As I have very limited space in my room( my desk is in my bedroom, it's the only place I have), I needed to find somewhere to put them other than the shelf to free up that space. So, I went to Hobby Lobby to see what they had. This is what I came up with. It's not the perfect solution. But, it beats having to get those heavy bins down from over my head.

20200714_212517-vi.jpg
It would be nice to have a dedicated modelling room, but this is doing the job to keep the dream alive.

Looks very good to me, though I will warn you that modeling supplies will expand to fill all available desk and storage space (one of modeling's Murphy's Laws). I bought four of the large wooden paint racks, trying to finely organize all my paints. I quickly filled every rack and now have paint scattered all around the racks. I figure I need two or three times the space I already have, which is a large corner of our basement.  I am constantly amazed at people who have such clean and organized work areas. I always"clean up and reorganize" after each project, but as soon as I start a new one it rapidly deteriorates into a chaotic mess. I can't win. :gr_eek2:

Wow! I'm flattered by your words! Although, it's  nothing really special. I think at some point in our hobby, we all come across this problem of trying to find space for our ever growing hobby.

6 hours ago, Bangem82 said:

Where exactly did you find it in Hobby Lobby? I would love to have something like this over my bench!

T.

I don't know how your store is set up, but I found this across from the model aisle. There is an aisle that has a different assortment of shelves. I got this one on clearance for 50% off. It still ended up being around $60, so not that cheap.

Edited by caudleryan

A

1 minute ago, caudleryan said:

I don't know how your store is set up, but I found this across from the model aisle. There is an aisle that a different assortment of shelves. I got this one on clearance for 50% off. It still ended up being around $60, so not that cheap.

Thanks! I’ll check my store tomorrow!

2 hours ago, Vince Maddux said:

I spent a week 3D printing about 18 of theses for my model master paints and I designed some stackable paint trays for Tamiya's large and small bottles

paint rack.jpg

Very cool! Although I would need about 6 dozen of those. I think I have around 250 bottles of paint on those shelves alone. Not to mention all of the paints for my car models.

19 hours ago, caudleryan said:

Very cool! Although I would need about 6 dozen of those. I think I have around 250 bottles of paint on those shelves alone. Not to mention all of the paints for my car models.

I have that problem too right now.
Ive 500 to maybe 750 different bottles, from AV Vallejo to Zero paints and looking for a one stop stop solution just isnt working.

Ive managed to find a shop that makes paint racks over in Devon... Just waiting for him to come back from his hols though before my new hobby area really starts looking like a hobby area.