F-35A (another paint color question)

What is the lighter color on the Vermont F-35 scheme (radome, intakes, canopy, some areas on the tails etc)? I know the darker is 26170, already got that sprayed.  Just not sure on the other....neutral gray maybe? Something different?

i-kfftsw7-xl.jpg?itok=_Hsl14De&timestamp

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

It‘s also officially  fs 26170. These areas are covered with some radar absorbent material giving them a different sheen and slightly lighter appearance. With earlier production batches this color differences was more stark but that changed some 2 or 3 years ( can’t recall exactly). I would go with a slightly lightend fs 26170 and give these portions of the airframe a more flat finish.

Crud....that leads to a whole slew of other problems....I painted it with MRP 26170, this being the one and only color I've bought from this line...meaning I have nothing to mix it with.  And, I got the Wolfpak sheet of RAM panels, which I suppose might be the right color, but it appears that few or maybe none of them at all would apply to this....

4 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Crud....that leads to a whole slew of other problems....I painted it with MRP 26170, this being the one and only color I've bought from this line...meaning I have nothing to mix it with.  And, I got the Wolfpak sheet of RAM panels, which I suppose might be the right color, but it appears that few or maybe none of them at all would apply to this....

If you are using MRP's 26170, then you also need their special Have Glass Matt Varnish (MRP-278). This gives the paint the metallic sheen seen on Have Glass finishes. Once you have it, you could experiment with applying different amounts on areas to see if it varies the sheen enough to mimic the effect seen on the real airframe.

The effect causing the "lighter" color varies with the lighting and the angle to surface is viewed at. Some panels will show up lighter and some not at all depending on those factors. I have the MRP colors, but will probably not use them when I get around to my F-35. I plan on mixing a Mr Color dark grey with one of the the Mr Color Super Metallic paints which have very fine pigments. I've seen pics of a model that this was done on and it is about the best I've seen at mimicking the Have Glass sheen.

9 hours ago, Mstor said:

If you are using MRP's 26170, then you also need their special Have Glass Matt Varnish (MRP-278). This gives the paint the metallic sheen seen on Have Glass finishes. Once you have it, you could experiment with applying different amounts on areas to see if it varies the sheen enough to mimic the effect seen on the real airframe.

The effect causing the "lighter" color varies with the lighting and the angle to surface is viewed at. Some panels will show up lighter and some not at all depending on those factors. I have the MRP colors, but will probably not use them when I get around to my F-35. I plan on mixing a Mr Color dark grey with one of the the Mr Color Super Metallic paints which have very fine pigments. I've seen pics of a model that this was done on and it is about the best I've seen at mimicking the Have Glass sheen.

Yep, that's what I've got, and I do have the HG matt finish....so technically I do have 2 MRP items, only one color though.  

I'm thinking of adding Neutral gray to slightly lighten the 26170, does that sound reasonable?  Tough to experiment when I have to order anything else to mix with....

Apologies for the rant before, just that I have to order more supplies with huge (relative) shipping costs for what I'm actually getting.  I'm just tired of this $28 "supposedly quick build" and the final item for my Vermont project becoming a $100 project.  Literally, I'm serious. About a hundred. 

4 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Apologies for the rant before, just that I have to order more supplies with huge (relative) shipping costs for what I'm actually getting.

I think you have just hit upon another one of Murphy's Laws of Modeling (see thread in General Discussion).

1 hour ago, seawinder said:

I've mixed Mr. Color with MRP with no ill effects, so you could probably tint the 26170 with a little Mr. Color white.

Kewl, that would be perfect, if I actually had any Mr. Color, which I don't; I'm almost totally MM enamels for over 30 years....

Definitely appreciate the thought though!  :cheers:

20 hours ago, Mstor said:

I think you have just hit upon another one of Murphy's Laws of Modeling (see thread in General Discussion).

Lemme vent and tell you just how this has added up.  

Needed an F-35 to complete my Vermont ANG history collection.  Bought the Wolfpak sheet with their markings probably within hours of its release, plus their F-35 RAM panels sheet.  

Total so far, about $25.

Got the Academy F-35A from Spruebrothers; believe that was $37 with shipping.

Total so far, $62.

Discovered AFTER ordering/paying for the kit that I didn't have the correct paint (never did a Have Glass or similar scheme before).  I use MM, no luck there; back to SB to order my first MRP, both the gray and the Have Glass clear.  Including $9 shipping for two bottles of paint, was a $24 order.

Total so far, $86.

Found the kit decals to be pretty much completely unusable.  Need replacements for the general stencilling, slime lights and such.  Looking at another $12 for those, probably.

Add to that needing another shade of MRP (or MrColor or ANYTHING that would work with the Have Glass gray); just ordered the new bottle of paint from SB, complete with $9 shipping.

Means an additional $29.

Grand total so far, $115.

Probably not a huge amount to you 1/48 folks, but c'mon, this is 1/72, with a $28 kit that I expected to kinda fall together.  Kit, maybe.  Project, NOPE!  :soapbox:

Thanks for listening....😁

On 7/15/2020 at 7:20 PM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Not all is lost. I used the same sheet for the academy f-35. For the lighter shade i used tamiya medium sea grey with a couple drops of black mixed. To my eye its VERY close. If you wou!d like a picture id be happy to email some to you. Still came figure out how post pics here 😕