Fuel Tanker colors please.

Hi all,

I have just got the Skunkmodel R-11 US/Nato fuel tanker kit in 1/48.

The instructions just say "Green" or "Tan" as a colour call out. Does anyone know what colour the thing would be when used on a US airbase?

Thanks

If it's anything like US Army or USMC vehicles, the color would depend on the timeframe.  Standard olive drab (FS34087) is probably safe for an early example up to at least Desert Storm (1991).  The temporary tan color used on some US ground equipment in Kuwait & Iraq matched FS 33446 - adjusting for all manner of weathering, fading, and in some cases field application.

By the time of OEF/OIF (circa 2001-) a different tan color was used, matching FS 33531.  Given the heavy commitment to the Afghanistan and Iraq theaters this became the most commonly seen color for a lot of rigs, but some green vehicles may still be found depending on location (still 34087 as far as I'm aware).

Thanks for your help here guys. the kit in question is the Skunkmodels R-11 in 1/48 scale.

The truck depicted is post 2004 so is pretty modern. The images i have seen online show the truck to be a very dark glossy green colour?

Nigel,

There is a USAF Airfield Equipment Painting and Markings Tech order.  It was referenced elsewhere in the ARC Forum.  Let me see if I can find it. Here:

Ah! Here is a link to the newest version dated Feb 2019.  It replaced the older version of T.O. 36-1-3.  See also T.O. 36-1-191 Motor Vehicle Maintenance.  

https://www.robins.af.mil/Portals/59/documents/technicalorders/35-1-3.pdf

https://www.robins.af.mil/Portals/59/documents/technicalorders/36-1-191.pdf

Enamel - Green, Semi-Gloss, color No. 34087 (Your results may vary.)

Here is one version:

fs34087z.jpg.80063fb166bb56ac5fecb5ed2d0e8a92.jpg

Here is another version:

FS34087.jpg.b065c70e7392c54282a9ab578f47e109.jpg

V/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was in the AF ('68-'72) EVERYTHING on the flightline that didn't fly was AGE yellow, which I believe was Insignia yellow. I'm not sure when it changed but I think it was late '70's or early '80's and they went to a dark green, possibly OD. (The fire extinguishers and fire trucks were... anyone? Red! All vehicles, pickups, stepvans, the Brass's cars... were insignia blue.)

Hope this helps.

DET1460

6 hours ago, DET1460 said:

When I was in the AF ('68-'72) EVERYTHING on the flightline that didn't fly was AGE yellow, which I believe was Insignia yellow. I'm not sure when it changed but I think it was late '70's or early '80's and they went to a dark green, possibly OD. (The fire extinguishers and fire trucks were... anyone? Red! All vehicles, pickups, stepvans, the Brass's cars... were insignia blue.)

Hope this helps.

DET1460

Thank you. 

very helpful!! I wonder if they were actually OD? Many pics appear much darker? 

10 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Nigel, Right! I have those other USAF Airfield Equipment colors posted in the Vehicle section, under Commercial. HTH. Dutch 

Thanks Dutch, I hear you man...

I have started the model and am video building it. I gave you a shout out in the intro, and showed the paint you suggested.. and I will probably use it. But I am still concerned that some pics I see are clearly not OD, whereas some clearly are...

39074078044_20fffd3230_b.jpg

25695208668_e11aff8230_b.jpg

Think I might go for Gunze 304 heavily thinned over a coat of MRP black primer? That should give a nice variety of preshaded dark areas and areas like the sides of the tank will be a dark OD. After decals I think I’ll give it a coat of MRP semi gloss?? 

I assume these trucks weren’t/aren’t kept waxed and polished so they must go full o er time, particularly on sunny airfield? I guess that would mean the tankers at Fairford will be bright and shiny?? 

On 7/29/2020 at 6:57 AM, Dutch said:

Not much to add other than to reinforce the previously mentioned point that it's semi gloss. The photo above is very good showing that and it also shows the difference between the tank part of the vehicle and the cab. If it still had its factory finish, (in other words, not repainted while in service) you'd often see a slight variation in the vehicle since the tank was built and painted by a separate firm  than the cab. Also, the tank would weather/fade at a different rate since its made out of different material  and due to fuel inside, have a different temperature when parked.

During my service..1980s-2000; nothing much was yellow any longer...and even "Strato" Blue seen on staff cars and trucks was pretty much a thing of the past.

Many base (non combat) trucks and cars were bought by the GSA under contract and they would allow whatever the vehicle manufacturer's closest factory color was.  I had access to a mid '90s Chevy S-10 pickup which was a medium metallic blue. 

And visiting our nearby base recently, I saw the Wing Commander's staff car was a Ford Fusion in regular Ford factory dark blue. The only change was the usual painted white top.

Edited by JohnEB