LF Detail photo of USAF Museum EC-121D

I'm trying to track down a photo of the emblem on the tail of the USAF Museum's EC-121D 53-0555  I suspect it's a 552nd Wing badge, but I'm not sure.  I'd really appreciate it if anyone has a good quality shot of the tail emblem would be willing to share it with me.  Thanks in advance.

Cameron

od24.jpg

I don't believe it's the 552nd Wing badge which you can see here: http://www.dean-boys.com/552/552nd_wing_patches.htm

I'm not sure what the emblem is, but it appears to be the same as the decal here for a 551st Wing aircraft: http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd72022.html

A good source of period information and photos is here: http://www.dean-boys.com/

The release date for this book keeps getting pushed back, but it might eventually be of interest: https://www.amazon.com/College-Eye-Lockheed-Technology-1967-1972/dp/1912866323/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=college+eye&qid=1594948531&sr=8-2

The 1986 IPMS national convention, held in Sacramento, produced a decal sheet for 555 that occasionally shows up for sale on eBay or elsewhere. The tail insignia you are asking about is included. It's about 50% larger than the decal on the Caracal sheet (possibly the right size for this a/c), and the artwork is a little less refined than what we're used to these days.

The defunct journal, "Wings of Fame" volume 20 (2000), has a small photo of 556 that shows the emblem. Unfortunately it is probably too small to reproduce well.

Sorry I don't just have a nice, clear copy of the emblem to post for you, but hopefully some of this may still be of interest.

Here is the picture i got a few years ago:

204.jpg

It is for sure  the Air Defense Command (or Aerospace) emblem as Da Swo posted above.

8 minutes ago, Da SWO said:

Sean

Thanks guys.  Very helpful.  Particularly the photos and links.  Now I just need to make sure that the ADC logo was being carried when the aircraft was deployed to Korat.  Just seems wierd that aircraft deployed in Thailand in support of College Eye during the Vietnam war...would be carrying an Air Defense Command emblem.

Cameron

1 hour ago, Cameron Lynch said:

Thanks guys.  Very helpful.  Particularly the photos and links.  Now I just need to make sure that the ADC logo was being carried when the aircraft was deployed to Korat.  Just seems wierd that aircraft deployed in Thailand in support of College Eye during the Vietnam war...would be carrying an Air Defense Command emblem.

Cameron

I can tell you that the aircraft stationed out of DaNang did not have much of any markings to speak of. Mostly subdued national insignia and the other common stuff. If they did, it was subdued. Even Apache Six was that way, and it never went over the fence.

gary

14 hours ago, Cameron Lynch said:

Cameron

I've seen photos where they had the ADC markings, and others where they didn't.  My guess is they deployed with the markings, and didn't replace the decal if it came off.  I'd go with the markings.

I did 12 months at Korat for my second tour.  It was a tricky matter to take shots of the connies.  They were parked way down the flight line past the weasels and pictures were not allowed.

They did have the A.D.C. emblem on the tail and the 552nd owned them.  Here are the only shots I managed to sneak while I was there:

The wing tanks had a series of metal rods going from tip to tip with the front tip sticking out  ahead of the tank, notice the point ahead of the tank.  I'm not sure if there were 4 or 6 of these rods.

scan0348.jpg
scan0347.jpg
scan0346.jpg

Edited by ikar
2 hours ago, ikar said:

The wing tanks had a series of metal rods going from tip to tip with the front tip sticking out  ahead of the tank, notice the point ahead of the tank.  I'm not sure if there were 4 or 6 of these rods.

Apparently 6. For some excellent detail photos, see here: https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/c-121/c-121_walk1.shtml Unfortunately, I've given up hope that someone will make these in brass to go with the Fisher Models tip tanks.

You may have to make them out of sprue, thin solder, or fine wire.  

If you are doing a Korat ship, notice the lack of the upper dome?

I used to watch them from the gate that led to town.  As they started those big engines, blue smoke would pour from the exhausts and you could hear them almost all over the base.  Korat was a bit different from most bases because it was basically three basses combined.  On the far side of the base was a Army installation called Camp Friendship that among other things had three large round antennas we were told worked with satellites and had large cables buried that led to somewhere.  These were stolen every so often.

Then there was Korat itself.  A good size air base and then there was the Thai air base on the other side of the runway.  We shard the runway but I rarely saw one of their aircraft taking off from that side.  Most of the time it would be from a small area they maintained  just past our C-130 reventment area that not only had a couple hangers and ramp area and also a small tower for them. 

scan0028-10_1.jpg