Tamiya to AMMO/Mig paint help..

I will be starting on the Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 kit soon..

Boxart Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero Fighter (Zeke) 61016 Tamiya

I need to find the following Tamiya colors in the AMMO/Mig Acrylic paint range.

XF-71 Cockpit Green.

X-13 Metallic Blue.

AS-29 (XF-76) Gray/Green IJN.

I tried looking at the AMMO Paint Conversion chart, but could not find these color matches.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Hi Scott,

I'm not disparaging your selection of AMMO/Mig, but I  am interested in why you have chosen that line of paint.  There are such a large number of different hobby paint manufacturers, especially today, and so many of them have the exact colors you are interested in, even explicitly identified, better, even, than Tamiya.  I'm specifically thinking of the AK Real Color line, and the Mission Model paint line, which are both acrylics, similar to Tamiya, not to mention an even greater selection available if you were open to lacquer paints, which I myself have just recently 're-discovered'.  

Edited by Curt B

I am unsure if you have seen these.  I would speculate that these links might help a little bit:

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-colors/2722-wwii-imperial-japanese-army-set-8432074072294.html

contains

A.MIG-0070    Medium Brown Dark Earth (BS 450)

A.MIG-0194    Aluminium

A.MIG-0258    IJA Grey Green

A.MIG-0259    IJA Light Grey Green

A.MIG-0260    IJA Kawasaki Green

A.MIG-0261    IJA Nakajima Green

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-colors/2443-wwii-imperial-japanese-navy-8432074072300.html

contains

A.MIG-0046 Matt Black

A.MIG-0085 NATO Brown

A.MIG-0262 IJN Ash Grey

A.MIG-0263 IJN Medium Grey

A.MIG-0264 IJN Nakajima Dark Green

A.MIG-0265 IJN Mitsubishi Green

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/new-releases/2875-wwii-japanese-cockpits-set-8432074072331.html

contains:

A.MIG-0267 Aotake Blue

A.MIG-0268 Aotake Green

A.MIG-0269 Nakajima Interior Green

A.MIG-0270 Mitsubishi Interior Green

Edited by ytsejam87
On 7/17/2020 at 7:41 PM, Dave Williams said:

Aren’t the AK Real Colors lacquers?  They may be “acrylic lacquers”, but I think they still have the lacquer smell issue.

Yes and thus they are, I imagine, just as toxic when atomised. "Acrylic" is just a loosely used adjective to describe a paint's behaviour rather than its chemical makeup.

@F-16 If I happen to find some equivalents for you, I will let you know; although, like you, I've drawn a blank with a brief look at Ammo's chart PDF. I keep all available paint charts because it seems like I'm forever pondering these problems!

OK, I found XF-71 listed in Ammo (didn't search correctly in Preview) as supposedly matched by 0023 Protective Green (FS 34227). I can't confirm that, as IJN subjects are not within my knowledge.

The metallic blue is easy as Ammo makes 0196 Warhead Blue (although I keep it only for brushing details and I prefer to airbrush the Mr. Hobby Aqueous H88).

FS34227