Back in February, I was asking for the proper shade of blue for VF-143 Tomcats, so as a way of saying thank you to Brian P and others, I thought I'd post some pics of the finished model.  Not only were the VF-143 markings the wrong shade of blue, but the stripes for the top of the tailfins and rudder too short by approximately a millimeter (or 40 thou in inches).  Unfortunately, the VF-32 markings suffer the same shortness in chord.  Anyway, having a Silhouette Portrait cutter at hand, it was easy to create masks for the forward fuselage stripes and cut decal film strips into consistent widths.  Other than that, not much modification is needed - the temperature probe is on the dual sprue with the pilot and wheels, the seven-slot mid-breech panel is from Quickboost and the crew figures had their heads modified to look out the cockpit.

Will take a better view of the tailfeathers once I've recharged the battery for my camera.

Jens

.ICbd3AP.jpg

t1mREU0.jpg

Thank you JackMan.  The only panel lines I have highlighted are the control surfaces and undercarriage doors as well as the panels either side behind the cockpit.  I did those with a mechanical pencil sanded to a sharp tip.  Selective panel lines around the engine nacelles that would leak "stuff" were done with oil paints as were the "leaks".  The rest of the panel lines are not washed in any way, shape or form - just their natural shadows cast by the light.

On 7/18/2020 at 12:04 AM, jenshb said:

Thank you AFM.  Here is a better look at the tailfeathers.

CjvRdJt.jpg

awC178A.jpg

Take these angles again with natural light and they will definitely give you the feeling that you're looking at the real thing!!!

Superb work!

• 3 weeks later...