Putty to temporarily hold parts

Hi all, I’ve heard many modelers post about blue-tac or “blue tacky“ or a putty that they use to hold parts for paint, masking, or assembly work.  

is there a particular brand I should shop for? I don’t want to be mistaken and buy something that won’t release or will leave a residue. 

Just search for poster putty. 

I also use it for masking. Rolled into 'worms', it's also especially good for camo, but just this weekend I used it along with pieces of paper to mask off a rudder and section of cowl that had to be painted yellow.

Like this stuff:  Link Here

On 7/17/2020 at 6:07 PM, airmechaja said:

Blu-Tack. Made in Australia by Bostik.

From the description by Bostik for their Blu-tack, "Sometimes, Blu Tack can leave a faint oily mark that can be easily removed by using a citrus based stain remover."

P.S. I read reviews on just about every brand of these "tack putties" and in each one there are people reporting greasy stains being left on surfaces. It was not always clear how long the putty was left on the wall. I would caution one to not leave these putties on painted surfaces too long. I am using some brand of "blu-tack", not sure which one, and haven't ran across this problem yet, but I make it a rule to remove the putty as soon as possible and not wait long between applying the putty and airbrushing.

Edited by Mstor
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had good luck using Blu-Tack for masking and holding parts in place while painting, with no "residue" issues. I have also used Silly Putty for this, and in some instances found that it left a shiny residue that was difficult to remove. I recently tried a DAP product called BLUESTIK and found it was very sticky, difficult to roll into "worms", and left a lot of oily residue. I would not recommend it for masking models.

I use some grey colored blu-tack alternative that I purchased at spruebrothers.   Not sure what it's called as I dont have the packaging and ordered it two years ago... but it works well, and does not leave behind any sort of greasy residue.