Need help with an ethical selling dilemma

Hi guys, I'm in a real pickle here.  I want to do the right thing or, at the very least, the absolute least wrong thing.  For starters, I kind of botched something and I would like to get everyone's thoughts and opinions since I seem to be incapable at times of making the correct ones.

Over the last couple of weeks, I had a model kit I was trying to sell.  I had it posted on eBay and on Facebook.  A gentleman from Mexico contacted me and told me he would take it.  I then told him I would take the rather large box to the Post Office so I could get the shipping cost information to him.  A couple of days after he contacted me, I got a notice from eBay saying that the kit had been purchased by a guy in California.  My heart just sank and I felt (and still feel) like garbage because I forgot to take it off of eBay after the first guy told me he'd buy it.

What is the right thing for me to do?!?!?!  I have guy #1 who told me he'd buy it but hasn't paid yet because I have not gotten him the shipping amount yet.  I have guy #2 who paid for it on eBay because I forgot to remove the listing.

I feel like the biggest dk because of my forgetting to remove the listing and now I have two buyers for this one kit.  What is the best thing for me to do here?  HELP!

Thank you in advance,

Eric

Morning,

Ultimately, being honest with both at the same time can save your pickle.

The original buyer from Mexico does not need to know of this situation, and informing them of this situation will only confuse the situation and will add little benefit in doing so. Provide the information requested for shipping.

Contacting the last potential buyer in Cali and explaining the situation can relieve you of your dilemma . However, you should inform the Cali buyer know that they will be reserved as the secondary buyer if the original buyer backs out.

Cheers

AFM

AFM, thank you!  This sounds like really good advice.  Since all of this went down on Saturday night, I really didn't want to contact anyone about it until I had more information (such as getting the shipping cost today).  So I haven't said anything to anyone.  Most especially, I wanted to get some advice from the good folks here.

Thank you!

Eric

10 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

You may want to check whether there are any consequences from eBay if you back out of a deal.

Believe me.  I thought of that.  I am going to look into it.  I figured there's going to be some sort of ramification(s), but I will accept whatever it might be.

Ebay rules are a bit tricky.  If the Mexico buiyers comes through, then you can cancel the ebay auction by saying the item is out of stock, refund all funds and apologize profusely to the Cali bidder.  I have bought items on ebay that were cancelled by the seller, a refund issued with a OOS reason.  Not much I can do about it, except keep looking. 

Though generally, once I put something on eBay, I forward a link to all other buyers from ARC or elswhere to the ebay listing.

HTH,

R/ Dutch 

2 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Ebay rules are a bit tricky.  If the Mexico buiyers comes through, then you can cancel the ebay auction by saying the item is out of stock, refund all funds and apologize profusely to the Cali bidder. 

Oh believe you me!  I will be doing a lot of apologizing on this one.  The Cali guy paid via PayPal and the funds won't be released until I provide shipping info.  That's good!  I don't want to take the gentleman's money until things get ironed out.

Scott and Dutch, I will definitely take your advice to heart.  Thanks!

Eric

I recently did something similar, I listed a kit on eBay not realizing I had sold it.  I did what was stated about, just mark it as out of stock, and send a message to the buyer with an apology and ensure he gets a refund. 

Sh*t happens...

52 minutes ago, eraucubsfan said:

I recently did something similar, I listed a kit on eBay not realizing I had sold it.  I did what was stated about, just mark it as out of stock, and send a message to the buyer with an apology and ensure he gets a refund. 

Sh*t happens...

I've now been in contact with the person in California who bought it through eBay.  I explained to him the situation and told him that if the initial deal fell through, then I would immediately contact him and let him know.  Thankfully, the guy was completely cool and understanding about it.  I both thanked and apoligized to him.  As eraucubsfan stated, "sh*t happens".  There's no doubt about that!  I just hate it when it happens because of my forgetfulness.

Habu2, it was/is the 1/32 Revell "Phantom" P-51D/K Mustang with the motorized features.

Eric