Tamiya 1:48 P-47D-25 "Oh Johnnie" Complete

Finished up my current build over the weekend.  Thanks for looking.

xzemf2W.jpeg

This is the amazing Tamyia kit.

PdP6Vg6.jpeg

I also added the Eduard Big Ed photo etch set.

YZ4kZUd.jpeg

Decals are from EagleCals.

s9xKSgP.jpeg

Lt Knight was killed in action over Italy a few weeks before the Germans surrendered.  He was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously.

1S4RJbl.jpeg

Lt Knight was known to be very aggressive in the air and protective of his wingmen, often times ordering them to stay out of AA range while he would scout a target.

OT8SJKu.jpeg

He’s credited with multiple aircraft destroyed on the ground as well many pieces of German war machines.

bRsDxNz.jpeg

During one mission he was too low when he dropped his ordinance and his wings were shredded from the shrapnel, he was able to make it back to base, but his wings had to be replaced. Hence the metal wings and OD fuselage.

xXXNBGz.jpeg

On his final mission, his plane was badly damaged and his wingmen urged him to bailout over friendly territory, but he decided to try and make it back to base since his unit was running low on spare parts/planes and needed as much of his aircraft as possible.  He crashed 25 miles from base when an unexpected gust of win forced him to the ground.

rmXrEMe.jpeg

His unit normally flew aircraft in Natural Metal, however, due to the lack of aircraft, this plane was diverted from a Brazilian unit also fighting in Italy. The Brazilian P-47s where painted OD over gray.

VWUwP2H.jpeg

The kits was very fun and researching the pilot and plane led me down an interesting rabbit hole.

s1WwUeN.jpeg

Fit of the kit was amazing, typical Tamyia engineering.  Apart from the photo etch, I did add my own details, mainly in the engine, cockpit and wheel wells.

H4pKo1P.jpeg

Ordinance was selected based on the ground attack type of missions Lt Knight flew.

vwUCuSw.jpeg

Weathering was done by oil paints, enamels, and airbrushing.

6neYm5M.jpeg

Metallic paint is Alclad II Aluminum.  All other paints were a combination of Vallejo, MIG, and Tamiya.

tmE8X8k.jpeg

These shots were done outside using natural sunlight, with the custom figures of Lt. Knight and his crew chief.

zKcXYaa.jpeg

My attempt at recreating the best photo of "Oh Johnnie"

3WKcWx0.jpeg

Cheers,

Brett

My Build log can be found here:

Brett,  Wow!  Simply amazing and beautiful work.  This one belongs in a museum honoring Lt. Knight's valor and patriotism.  I loved watching the progression.  As I am too busy working right now, my builds are not happening, so I am enjoying yours tremendously. Three cheers on this one!  Well done, sir!  Kind regards, Dutch

21 hours ago, Dutch said:

Brett,  Wow!  Simply amazing and beautiful work.  This one belongs in a museum honoring Lt. Knight's valor and patriotism.  I loved watching the progression.  As I am too busy working right now, my builds are not happening, so I am enjoying yours tremendously. Three cheers on this one!  Well done, sir!  Kind regards, Dutch

Thanks Dutch!  Sorry to hear that you aren't currently able to build, thats how it was for me a for a few months until recently, so it was nice to jump back into this build.  I have a few 1:72 kits I will be working on next, in particular, an in-flight super hornet build I have planned.  Thanks for the kind words,

Brett