Find side number for a specific aircraft

I haven't found the side number but according to Joe Baugher's site ( http://www.joebaugher.com/navy_serials/navyserials.html ) this is the fate of the aircraft:

74037 (VC-81) attached to Natoma Bay (CVE-62) lost off Bonin Is in central Pacific Mar 3, 1945.

And the squadron log has this information for 3 March 1945:

The 16th day at Iwo Jima, 3 Mar. 1945, was eventful. It opened with a strike on a reported concentration of large enemy transports at Chichi Jima. Eight FM-2' s from this squadron participated in the attack. They made three attacks; on the first firing rockets at the shipping and on the second and third attacking AA positions to protect the torpedo bombers which were following. The shipping was identified as one medium transport vessel and small FTC class freighters. Damage was observed. On the first attack as the fighters were retiring toward the entrance to Futami Harbor, The FM-2 piloted by Lt.(jg) Huston was apparently hit by AA fire. The plane went into a 45° dive and crashed into the water just inside the harbor. It exploded on impact and there was no survivor or wreckage afloat. He was one of the squadron's better pilots. He was quiet and unassuming, always alert and his keen eyes tally-hoed everything within sight. He was always the first to sight aircraft and shipping; he tally-hoed the only submarine sighted by the squadron. He was credited with the destruction of four airborne enemy aircraft.

The same day, on the 1000 launch, Lt.(jg) Tate's FM-2 veered to port due to a heavy roll of the ship and despite prompt and correct measures taken by him, it went over the after stack and into the water. He promptly disengaged himself and was picked up five minutes later by a DD with no injuries except· minor bruises.

So, 74037 could be Lt(jg) Huston's aircraft or Lt(jg) Tate's...both lost on 3 March but I can't find who was in what aircraft. Chichi Jima is part of chain of islands known as the Bonin Islands.

If you can find the official after action reports on these incidents, they should provide further information on the specific aircraft, BuNo, and side numbers specifically.

On further investigation...I came across some interesting information regarding Lt(jg) Huston, apparently back in 2005 some parents claimed their kid was Lt(jg) Huston...reincarnated:

https://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Technology/story?id=894217&page=1

https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/wp-content/uploads/sites/360/2017/04/REI42-Tucker-James-LeiningerPIIS1550830716000331.pdf

Is his the aircraft you're looking to build by chance?

Edited by 82Whitey51

This was the other VC-81 FM-2 lost on 3 Mar 1945:

56866 (VC-81) attached to USS Natoma Bay (CVE-62) lost off Bonins in central Pacific Mar 3, 1945

This photo here could be Lt(jg) Tate's aircraft, photo taken close along side the ship...although no date is listed and you can't see the BuNo.

FM-2-Wildcat-VC-81-White-4-landing-misha

Edited by 82Whitey51

Thanks and yes, this is the aircraft I'm looking at building along with a model of USS Natoma Bay in 1/350.  The FM-2 will be made from the Arma Hobby kit.  Thanks for providing the references.  The book "Soul Survivor" is an amazing read.  I've reached out to the Natoma Bay Society and author Bruce Leininger to see if they have any information in their records and research.  The aircraft markings and paint are unremarkable.  I may end up striking out but it would be a nice detail to get right.  

Thanks again!

Dave

Just now, Weebles said:

Thanks and yes, this is the aircraft I'm looking at building along with a model of USS Natoma Bay in 1/350.  The FM-2 will be made from the Arma Hobby kit.  Thanks for providing the references.  The book "Soul Survivor" is an amazing read.  I've reached out to the Natoma Bay Society and author Bruce Leininger to see if they have any information in their records and research.  The aircraft markings and paint are unremarkable.  I may end up striking out but it would be a nice detail to get right.  

Thanks again!

Dave

OK...Interesting stuff! I just came across this illustration so you may rule out it being aircraft "4" :

Screen_Shot_2020-07-22_at_6.01.04_PM.png

Perhaps Bruce could ask James if he remembers what his side number was that day??? Seriously, as a flyer, you know the side number of about every bird you ever flew, especially if it was your last!

Yea, I knew it wasn't "4".  And the BU No has no relation to the side number.  I'm sure it's documented somewhere.  Unfortunately VC-81 is no longer an active squadron.  Somewhere in a vault hidden away I'm sure.

Just saw your message.  The constant thing about these past life memories in youth (at least from the couple of books I've read by researchers) is that those memories fade away, usually by the age of 6.  So fortunately James Leininger is living his own life.

3 minutes ago, Weebles said:

Yea, I knew it wasn't "4".  And the BU No has no relation to the side number.  I'm sure it's documented somewhere.  Unfortunately VC-81 is no longer an active squadron.  Somewhere in a vault hidden away I'm sure.

Just saw your message.  The constant thing about these past life memories in youth (at least from the couple of books I've read by researchers) is that those memories fade away, usually by the age of 6.  So fortunately James Leininger is living his own life.

The Navy History and Heritage Command in D.C. would have the reports, and likely the flight schedule for that day with aircraft assignment. Drop them a line;

https://www.history.navy.mil/

Good to hear that James has moved on, what an interesting phenomenon.

4 hours ago, Weebles said:

I heard back from them with a "don't call us, we'll call you" message.  They're closed for COVID with limited staff.  We'll see what happens.  Thanks again for the lead.

Dave

Yeah, I imagine they are out of the office. Hopefully you get someone really enthusiastic about the job to find the info you're looking for. Sometimes guys get assigned a billet, or take a position as a stepping stone to another gig, and frankly don't put a whole lot of effort into helping some "schmoe" looking for info. A buddy of mine was on the staff up there a few years back, he was a huge airplane and history geek, and absolutely loved tracking down stuff like this.

For what it's worth - VC-81's Aircraft After-Action Report (AAR) for the 3 March 1945 strike against Chichi Jima (same island of George H.W. Bush fame).  Confirms that LT(jg) Huston was flying FM-2 BuNo 74037 at the time of his death, although unfortunately no details regarding the side number.  Having spent a considerable amount of time researching the activities of two relatives who flew for the USN in the Pacific War, it's pretty rare at this late date to find documentation matching individual BuNos to squadron side numbers, short of a match between a known photograph & individual aviator's logbook entries.  

Good luck in your efforts!

-Scoobs

Rep-of-air-ops-in-support-of-the-invasio

Edited by scoobs

Wow!  That's great information and your experience locating side numbers.  We'll see if we can find something from Navy records.  I'll hold tight to these documents though.  Great information!  Bruce Leininger confirmed that he's not sure about the side number on a photo of a model he sent to me.  Fair enough.  If no information is located I'll probably go with White 8 for this model.  

Thanks guys!

Dave

Good to hear - you might yet have better luck with the Navy archives, but in all likelihood they're pulling from the same squadron war diaries and AARs that are now available on sites like Fold3.com.  Undoubtedly such records documenting individual aircraft numbering & marking once existed at the squadron level, but they were likely chucked at "non-essential" at the end of the war.  As mentioned, I got lucky in researching my Dad's cousin, a backseater in night attack TBMs, who was KIA over Taiwan in early 1945 - his AAR lists the side numbers of all the Avengers involved.  Great find for a modeller!

VTN90-aircraft.jpg