What's your technique for wing root wear?

In photos, you see a lot of scuffing of the paint and even wear down to the metal on WW2 fighter aircraft, where the pilots and maintenance crew walk on the wing root to gain access to the cockpit and sometimes it even extends somewhat out to the wing gun access panels.

I've tried dry brushing, pencils, and also tried spraying layers of aluminum and primers then lightly sanding, sometimes in combination with salt as a mask.  I'm just not able to get it to look realistic, compared to photos.

I bought some AK chipping fluid to try (or maybe hairspray), but I don't use acrylic paints, instead preferring lacquers and enamels, so I'm not sure if those will work.

What is your technique for simulating this wear?

I find the salt-chipping method provides a nice realistic worn finish on the wing roots, gun panels and walkways. I will spray the areas that I want to be "chipped" first with Tamiya's Natural Metal in the spray can AS-something...... Apply the salt/water mixture after the paint dries, let that dry, then spray my top colour on. Once that is dry, I brush off the salt, and voila! 

Hope this helps. 

56 minutes ago, dmk0210 said:

Thanks guys I'm going to try the sanding technique again.

My philosophy is replicate what happens in real life.  Sand it, if it goes too far, touch it up. Add some rust or chipping in and around the area...have fun with it.  That will only add to the weathering effect and look more realistic to my eye.