Possible to paint and weather without using any enamels, lacquers, etc.?

Hi, I’m really wanting to learn to weather a tank in the near future. This will also be my first tank. Unfortunately, I’m limited to using “non toxic“ supplies. I have a bird in my home that can’t be exposed to harsh chemicals as birds have delicate lungs that can be damaged easily.

I do have a small portable airbrush Booth with exhaust fan (not completely effective as it was only $90). My question is, is possible to weather without the use of things like lacquer coats and enamels to achieve this? If I do have to use something like what I’m trying to avoid, it would need to be not too harsh and completely cure quickly. I don’t want to let this stuff linger in the air for my bird to inhale. I will be doing this in a different room from where my bird stays but I still want low odor and fast curing to prevent anything from traveling to her. I also need to make sure that it’ll be safe for a particular model with these things used on them to be free from vapors or odors when completely cured. Any suggestions or should I avoid weathering all together. 

I know this is a tough if not impossible question to ask, but I can’t find any good suggestions online that is something I would be able to do with little experience or undue risk to my bird. Thank you guys. I’ve been asking a lot of questions recently but all this stuff I’m trying is completely new to me, and it is complicated more so by the fact that I have a bird in my home. I appreciate ANY advice you can give. Thank you. 

Hello

Not that I have a lot of experience, but let me share what had worked for me and some other stuff that read somewhere, but I've not tried yet.

I don't build tanks but think that the techniques are similar.

About the painting; recently I've switched from enamels and other "Hot" products to acrylics and I'm still learning how to use them properly, the odor is minimal but anyway while airbrushing, I do use a mask and try to keep the room ventilated (don't have a spray booth myself) because in the end there are paint particles floating around; if you airbrush at lower pressure you can minimize the overspray and along with your spray booth should not have a problem.

On the weathering, once I've used artist' watercolors to do washes instead of diluted oleos or panel liners, those come in small tubes and you diluted them with water, add a small amount of dishwasher soap to lower the surface tension. As whit regular washes, use them over a cured, gloss coat so you can remove the excess easily.

For smoke, oxide, and other stains, you can use pastel chalks, ground them with sandpaper, so you get fine dust, apply them with a stiff brush over a flat coat. Once you are done, apply a clear coat to protect it.

Watercolor pencils are useful to simulate scratches, I've used them once on my recent build, and they looked fine, but the effect almost disappears when I apply the final matt coat over the model. Next time I will try to make the effect heavier to compensate, although maybe I'll just use acrylic paint and a fine brush to achieve the same result.

Finally, I do recommend to check  AMMO, Vallejo, or similar brands; they have some weathering products that are not solvent-based.

Hope this helps

Carlos

Ammo paints are completely non toxic n weathering can be done with pastels n pigment powders.  Tamiya panel line wash has a minimal amount of fumes n I use ammo odorless enamel thinner to remove it

Edited by Napalmakita

Thank you guys for all the recommendations! I actually didn’t think I was going to get this many suggestions on weathering without resorting to more harsh chemicals. 

I have ended up buying some Ammo of Mig paints, as Testors Model Master didn’t have all the colors I needed. While buying the Ammo paints, I went ahead and bought some of their pigments and washes. It’ll be the first time I’ll be airbrushing or using Ammo, so fingers crossed that they don’t give me too much trouble.

Buying these weathering products makes me wonder if anyone knows if a Microscale Industry Gloss Coat should be able to protect the paint underneath from any interactions. I have heard some acrylic clear coats don’t hold up as well. I plan to test it before using them to make sure it doesn’t mess up the model, but I have to wait for my Ammo products to arrive from Spain (can take a month). So if anyone knows if it wouldn’t work, I want to get a newer acrylic clear coat before it gets here. 

12 hours ago, Napalmakita said:

Ammo paints are completely non toxic n weathering can be done with pastels n pigment powders.  Tamiya panel line wash has a minimal amount of fumes n I use ammo odorless enamel thinner to remove it

One correction here. While Ammo's paints are non-toxic acrylics, Ammo's washes, streaking effects and filters are enamel based.

Since you are getting AMMO products, may I suggest to check their Facebook page and Youtube channel? These pasts months, they made a series of live presentations on how to use the products; some are in English; they also have short instructional videos for some of them.

18 minutes ago, cruiz said:

Since you are getting AMMO products, may I suggest to check their Facebook page and Youtube channel? These pasts months, they made a series of live presentations on how to use the products; some are in English; they also have short instructional videos for some of them.

That's a good idea.  I watched a lot of videos and got some of their technique books when I started using their stuff, made the process fairly easy.

Sorry I didn’t respond for a bit. Had some problems to take care of. Thank you for the suggestions. I have watched some of Ammo’s videos on how to use their weathering products. It seems relatively simple to use. I’m hoping I’m correct. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Night Owl Models, thank you. I may end up trying Vallejo at some point. It’s been hard to get my hands on Ammo of Mig products. Got mine overseas about 3 weeks ago and is just now being shipped to the US. If I have trouble finding paints, it may force me to expand my brand of paints I’m gathering. Especially if Vallejo is easier to get ahold of. 

Oh A good one to try is Flory Model washes.

They are really really good!

Personally I use them as a base colour for pigments and around oils not in their own right but I know people do just use the washes.
They really are very good.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
7 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Oh A good one to try is Flory Model washes.

They are really really good!

+1 on this. I love Flory Model washes for their simplicity. You do have to start with a good gloss coat. But once that's done, you just smear the wash all over, let it dry and then wipe it off with a barely damp cloth or paper towel. If you don't like it, use a wetter towel and just wipe it all away. I think Flory has tutorials on his site.