Planes with dumb-looking landing gear

Disclaimer: The following will likely create controversy, but is intended with a bit of humor in this otherwise sad and depressing time we’re in at the moment.

Recently shifted to building models with gear up because I feel planes look better that way - especially jets. Plus, kit landing gear (and wheel wells) are often a weak link both figuratively and literally.

But also realized that some planes have landing gear that look like afterthoughts at best. At worst, they destroy the beauty of the plane and I don’t want to build the kit with the gear down for that very reason.

While subjective and not intended to offend or start arguments, here’s my list of what I think are the worst offenders from an aesthetics (not functional) standpoint, in no particular order:

1) Blackburn Buccaneer - the geometry of the main gear and the size/shape of the main gear doors are just weird.

2) MiG-31 - don’t have a problem with tandem wheels, but staggered with one facing in and other facing out looks like wheels fell off while taxiing.

3) F-15 Eagle - maybe will get flamed, but the spindly main gear don’t seem to match the nice lines of the plane - kinda like a flamingo.

4) Me109 - gear too close together (the similarly engined Macchi 202 and Ki-61 Hien have a nice wide stance); and Spitfires look ok despite similar design.

5) MiG-23/27 - this one’s on the bubble; the main gear and door attachment are weird, but actually look cool - but still not attractive.

What are your candidates for dumbest looking landing gear?

7 hours ago, trojansamurai said:

1) Blackburn Buccaneer - the geometry of the main gear and the size/shape of the main gear doors are just weird.

"geometry ... shape ... are just weird" - that concept fits well with shape of aft fuselage and geometry of leading edge of vertical fin; which although quite practical do look a bit odd.

So I'm going to call it not the least bit odd that something else on Buccaneer looks odd.

One of my fave aircraft; because of its unique look, because it is naval aviation, because of its mission.

7 hours ago, trojansamurai said:

But also realized that some planes have landing gear that look like afterthoughts at best. At worst, they destroy the beauty of the plane and I don’t want to build the kit with the gear down for that very reason.

Lockheed Constellation's landing gear fits that category for me, rather too storky; but yet it is that way for purely practical engineering reasons, get the wing high enough off the ground to hang big props on the motors.

And while mentioning storky landing gear, go look at B-58 Hustlers when free of pods, now that is cartoony, but again, the thing is a result of purely practical engineering reasons.

Also on my odd gear list the X-15 with its conventional nosewheel and then main gear skis, what, no proper wheels?, but again, the thing was done for engineering and operational reasons.

Also odd, being awake at 05:19 am talking to the electronic aether about airplane landing gear while eating a bowl of Froot Loops in water instead of milk.  (the milk thing too is for purely practical reasons)

2 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Interesting topic. I vote is for the F-22. All that power, and short, stubby mains.

Plus 1.    Always thought the -22 looked chicken legged with that scrawny landing gear.  

Interesting topic

Oddly, most of the ones mentioned are good looking in my view because they add some "personality" to the planes.

On the other hand, I can't withstand the main gear of the Spitfire, so simple and devoid of any feature in particular; in my opinion, it looks like an afterthought in such a beautiful plane.

Carlos

19 hours ago, trojansamurai said:

3) F-15 Eagle - maybe will get flamed, but the spindly main gear don’t seem to match the nice lines of the plane - kinda like a flamingo.

As much as I love the Scooter, I always thought the main gear on the A-4 looked kind of spindly as well.

3 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

As much as I love the Scooter, I always thought the main gear on the A-4 looked kind of spindly as well.

I was thinking the same, but it looks better with drop tanks on both wings

The early Mig-29 and SU-27 prototypes with the nose gear way out in front look awful

How about the Soviet Nikitin-Shevchenko IS-2 Biplane/Monoplane ???   

Not only did the main landing gear retract into the lower wing - but that lower wing could then retract into the upper wing - morphing from a biplane into a monoplane.

That's pretty goofy.

Then there's the Fairey Barracuda.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Barracuda

latest.jpg.77b58222782b80313c2ea8f473046092.jpg

From Wiki...... The hydraulically-actuated main landing gear struts were of an "L" shape which retracted into a recess in the side of the fuselage and the wing, with the wheels within the wing.

That was pretty weird....

Ken

I think the F-4 Phantom is one of the best looking jets ever, but when you launch it from a carrier with the nose strut extended it looks corny as hell.

I'll echo the sentiment about the F-15's spindly landing gear. Great looking jet, but you can't skip leg-day.