Planes with dumb-looking landing gear

44 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Wait..they aren't supposed to face out?😄

😆...nope. We've all seen it too.

When I was in E-2Cs, living in the barracks at Norfolk I had a couple of the Fujimi kits built up sitting on my desk shelve. Came back from Leave once, and noticed one had the gear facing out...Hmmm. Look over at my roommate and say, "Dude, what's up with my bird here?" LOL. He explained that a few guys were in the room drinking n' all, someone  bumped it so they fixed it. I go, "Yeah, I get it no sweat...BUT YOU'RE ALL HUMMER MECHANICS AND YOU PUT THE !@#&ING GEAR ON BACKWARDS??!! 😂

4 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

😆...nope. We've all seen it too.

When I was in E-2Cs, living in the barracks at Norfolk I had a couple of the Fujimi kits built up sitting on my desk shelve. Came back from Leave once, and noticed one had the gear facing out...Hmmm. Look over at my roommate and say, "Dude, what's up with my bird here?" LOL. He explained that a few guys were in the room drinking n' all, someone  bumped it so they fixed it. I go, "Yeah, I get it no sweat...BUT YOU'RE ALL HUMMER MECHANICS AND YOU PUT THE !@#&ING GEAR ON BACKWARDS??!! 😂

🤣

15 hours ago, dnl42 said:

The Transavia PL-12 Airtruk is very cool! IMHO, it's better looking that its predecessor, the Bennet Airtruck.

Yeah the Bennet has a face only a mother could love, if it was kept in the basement and rarely seen.  I think the only way that plane could fly is it was so ugly the earth repelled it.

Fw-200 Condor.  That complex latticework with the wheels sticking way out front looks overcomplicated and just plain wacky.  Seems like it wouldn't hold up, but of course the real weak point of the aircraft was the fuselage.  Many Condors broke their backs on hard landings.  That's what happens when you try to turn an airliner into a bomber.

SN

FbhMpsj.jpg

Edited by Steve N

Various aircraft with tracked landing gear (as in tank tracks). Many have probably seen the B-36 with track gear, but how about an A-20 Havoc...

nihkxtdsnsykj6pcd10o.jpg

And whatever this is...

y7yop0ujghlopjgyjnqj.jpg

58 minutes ago, Mstor said:

XB-36 landing gear...

Looks like a toy airplane with those huge 9 foot diameter wheels.

This is a fun photo driving home the size of those wheels 🙂

4 hours ago, dnl42 said:

This is a fun photo driving home the size of those wheels 🙂

Here' the photo dnl42 is referring to...

metapth40854_m_web-02_188.jpg.d3b526d028f71d6363dff8e4f50f8b25.jpg

"Honey, these wheels sure have big nuts!"  :whistle:

I know, I've been a bad boy. Back to my corner.

Believe it or not, taking pictures of that thing was not allowed.  It had a classified mission and the Thai A.F. Police guy I was working with that day was not happy I took the shot.

It's a Austrailian Airtruk, at least that's what I've been told, and you have seen it in a Road Warrior movie.

19 hours ago, Mstor said:

Finally, ran across this pic. I have NO idea what's up with that layout on a P-40.

Studies at Wright Field circa 1943-44 for rough field landing gear designs.  Here's another one tested on the same XP-40

XP-40-05-p40hawksnest.jpg

Had a hard time finding an unlocked version of this pic so this is shrunk to upload.  Search on "SALTY DOG 85 flow track F-16"  "SALTY DEMO 85 flow track F-16"

members-of-the-50th-equipment-maintenance-squadron-secure-a-flow-track-to-an-f141f7-4.jpg

Edited by habu2
brain fade.....

Then there are times when you forgot landing gear might be nice to have:

Picture032.jpg

The B-70 tires were small for that large  aircraft.

Back in the 70s when most of the aircraft at the AF Museum were kept outside, you could just walk up to the.  I remember standing next to the B-70 wheels and they didn't cpme u[ to my waist.  But they did look good in silver. 

3 hours ago, habu2 said:

Had a hard time finding an unlocked version of this pic so this is shrunk to upload.  Search on "SALTY DOG 85 flow track F-16"

members-of-the-50th-equipment-maintenance-squadron-secure-a-flow-track-to-an-f141f7-4.jpg

Tried Googling your search phrase but didn't come up with anything related to what's in the pic. Are you using a different search engine?

9 minutes ago, habu2 said:

My bad - try SALTY DEMO 85

https://www.google.com/search?q=salty+demo+85

I will edit my earlier post...

Thanks, link work fine. Interesting concept. Allows pane to be towed over rough surfaces. The track themselves look like trimmed down versions of those used on the WWII Panther. (well to me they do, but I am no expert so what do I know :dontknow:).