Planes with dumb-looking landing gear

The Soviets did similar rough-field experiments with a tracked landing gear on an Il-28....

day_01_026.jpg

They also fitted a ski landing gear to a Su-7.........

Maingear.....

su-7bkl-skis_01.jpg

su-7bkl-skis_02.jpg

Nosegear....

su-7bkl-skis_03.jpg

A system of a retractable ski attached to the main landing gear of a Su-7BKL actually went into production...

Ken

19 hours ago, habu2 said:

Had a hard time finding an unlocked version of this pic so this is shrunk to upload.  Search on "SALTY DOG 85 flow track F-16"

members-of-the-50th-equipment-maintenance-squadron-secure-a-flow-track-to-an-f141f7-4.jpg

Aircraft tire snow chains?

If you're going to include no landing gear, how about these tests of a flexible rubber deck?

The mind boggles...

I was certain I had first read about such efforts in one of @Tailspin Turtle's fascinating blog posts, but I can't find it...

20 hours ago, dnl42 said:

If you're going to include no landing gear, how about these tests of a flexible rubber deck?

The mind boggles...

I was certain I had first read about such efforts in one of @Tailspin Turtle's fascinating blog posts, but I can't find it...

I’ve mentioned it in one of my books (e.g. the Navy requirement for a day fighter that resulted in the F8U Crusader had compatibility with the concept as a design requirement) but I checked and I didn’t post anything about it in my blogs...