Right now I have 100+ boxes and instruction sheets from kits I've assembled.  Does anyone have any idea of doing anything but recycling these things?   I'd hate to discard something somebody might have use for, but they're taking up a lot of space storing air. 

Thanks!

Cut out and save any box art you like.  Keep a few that are sturdy and in good condition to use to store bagged kits, or to use when you decide to build something with those silly end-open boxes.  Recycle the rest.

And I felt guilty about keeping a couple of boxes full of left over sprues and parts from kits......

For me, throwing out the box is a serious feeling of accomplishment in the build. It signifies that I have completed another one and the stash is getting smaller. Until the big brown truck pulls up again.....

1 hour ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Cut out and save any box art you like.  Keep a few that are sturdy and in good condition to use to store bagged kits, or to use when you decide to build something with those silly end-open boxes.  Recycle the rest.

👍

57 minutes ago, Bounce said:

I think I'm going to cut the art off and put on the wall in my lair.

Some of them are true gems. Personally, I have kept a lot of Matchbox's box art. Those guys back then knew how to illustrate!

My favorite part of a build is throwing the empty box away.

I did a binge & purge of leftover sprues some 20 years ago-picked off all the parts I might have a use for and tossed all the rest. And as it turns out, I have no regrets. Anything I may need that was a leftover from one of those kits I can find better in resin or photo etch, and there are even ebay sellers who sell individual sprues should I be so desperate. And it was quite the relief getting rid of all that stuff. I rarely utilized any of it and it's an enormous pile of stuff I didn't really need gone.

16 hours ago, WymanV said:

My favorite part of a build is throwing the empty box away.

I did a binge & purge of leftover sprues some 20 years ago-picked off all the parts I might have a use for and tossed all the rest. And as it turns out, I have no regrets. Anything I may need that was a leftover from one of those kits I can find better in resin or photo etch, and there are even ebay sellers who sell individual sprues should I be so desperate. And it was quite the relief getting rid of all that stuff. I rarely utilized any of it and it's an enormous pile of stuff I didn't really need gone.

I keep a few lengths of good-quality sprue to use for stretching or such, and am at the point where most of the unused parts just get tossed.  I've had so many, and have so rarely used any, that it doesn't make sense for me to keep a lot of extra stuff.  

On 7/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, peter havriluk said:

Right now I have 100+ boxes and instruction sheets from kits I've assembled.  Does anyone have any idea of doing anything but recycling these things?   I'd hate to discard something somebody might have use for, but they're taking up a lot of space storing air.

I can feel your reluctance to trash the boxes; somehow they become dear to you. What you could do is remove the staple(s) at the corners, or break the glue, then fold them flat. That way they take up a lot less space, and you can still keep them. It's also less work compared to cutting out the front. I've done it, and it works reasonably well.

Rob

7 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

I keep a few lengths of good-quality sprue to use for stretching or such, and am at the point where most of the unused parts just get tossed.

I remember going through all those sprues snipping off long clean runs with a wire cutters,  bundling them up and putting them away somewhere.

Somewhere...🙄

2 hours ago, WymanV said:

I remember going through all those sprues snipping off long clean runs with a wire cutters,  bundling them up and putting them away somewhere.

I remember thinking I would save all my sprue trees and glue them together to make my own model of a Borg Cube...

ddimpi4-0da61be1-6e32-4e31-abb7-b1afb098