CD72115 / 72116 - 1/72 USAF KC-135A & E Stratotanker

CD72115 and CD72116 will be limited-run (250 pcs each) 1/72 sheets dedicated to USAF  in the older, overall light gray scheme. 

CD72115 - 1/72 USAF KC-135A Stratotanker

CD72116 - 1/72 USAF KC-135E Stratotanker

These sheets will each have markings for 8 Stratotankers, but no national insignia or common stencilling - you will need to source these from the kit decals or from CD72070 (C-135 Family General Markings), which will be released at the same time. 

I am watching, though I only have one KC-135A left (I think) and the NKC-135E?. Doing another tanker is more appealing I must stay and I am a fan of the bare metal and grey SAC schemes.

I'll be interested to see the artwork of these sheets with another 6 or 7 EC/KC/RC kits lurking in the stash

• 3 months later...

Almost here - I plan to release these in the January-February timeframe, at the same time as the general purpose set which will provide the stencilling and common markings.

Here is the draft for CD72115, the KC-135A sheet.  It still need some smaller markings (data blocks etc.) but should give you an idea of what is on the sheet. The -E sheet still needs a bit of work.

cd72115.jpg  cd72115b.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • 4 weeks later...

Kursad, 

Are you going to reprint the generic KC-135 markings like yellow refueling stripe, doors, data markings & serials that were included in the three previous KC-135R sheets?  They may have to be modified for the Aircraft Gray scheme A/E/Qs though.  For instance, with the artwork above, I could see including two stencil sheets with each decal and upping the price a little to compensate.  I believe that many modellers would opt for the extra stencils so that more than one option could be built.  Or just print twice or three times as many stencil sheets and offer separately.   Just a thought. 

Kind regards,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
  • 3 months later...

Sounds great, thanks for the update!  It will be good to have a SAC-era R model option, perhaps the Malmstrom tail marking can be leveraged for both the hi vis light gray scheme and the Shamu scheme. 

Chris

Edited by Gator52

Just some motivation from the book: "Boeing C-135 Stratotanker, More than Just a Tanker" by Robert Hopkins, III. Pages 362 & 363.  These show the early and late hi-viz markings on SAC KC-135A/R Active Duty tankers.

Hopkins_362.thumb.jpg.aa9e600219c62a1f528c505d34c09f66.jpg Hopkins_363.thumb.jpg.c9efc716c19f4472e6e749b7d4588fd8.jpg

One correction is necessary.  The wing at Kadena Air Base Japan was the 376th Strategic Wing before becoming the 18th Wing. The 379th Bomb Wing was at Wurtsmith AFB, MI.

Edited by Dutch
Correction.
  • 1 month later...