CD72115 / 72116 - 1/72 USAF KC-135A & E Stratotanker

On 3/12/2021 at 5:30 PM, Gator52 said:

A friend was just telling me about that book the other day; looks fantastic!  I need to track down a copy.

Chris

Chris, This is the definitive book on the 135.   Dr. Hopkins knows his stuff on this bird.   He flew many variants of the 135 during his career in the Air Force.  I have a copy and it's my go to source for all things 135.

Edited by Drifterdon
On 4/16/2021 at 5:00 PM, Drifterdon said:

Chris, This is the definitive book on the 135.   Dr. Hopkins knows his stuff on this bird.   He flew many variants of the 135 during his career in the Air Force.  I have a copy and it's my go to source for all things 135.

Got a copy a couple of weeks ago and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in any flavor of -135. 

I learned there are two editions; the 2017 version is much more comprehensive than the original. 

Chris

Edited by Gator52
  • 2 months later...

Sure.

Both of these Microscale-printed limited edition (250 pcs only) have a Cartograf-printed small insert (not shown) containing the colorful and intricate SAC and unit badges.

As I announced earlier, these sets will not include any national insignia or stencilling - you will either need to use the kit decals or the CD72070 C-135 general markings sheet which will be available at the same time.

There is also a WC/RC/EC-135 sheet and a "Shamu" KC-135 sheet in the works, which will follow the same concept.

cd72115.jpg  cd72116.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Kursad, Yes, I will definitely buy both of these, the Generic set and the future WC/EC/RC & Shamu sheets. How about another ANG E sheet with the rest of the state names? Again, not complaining, just grateful for what we do have. K/r, Dutch

• 1 month later...

While doing a little browsing online, I came across this photo of KC-135E 56-3593 in New Hampshire ANG markings circa 1989. Photo came from the 133rd ARS entry on Wikipedia.  What makes this photo interesting are the various unit markings including: tail band, state outline above forward u/c (with crew chief name, presumably), cockpit white outline and 157th ARG logos on all four IFR Boom ruddelators.  But what really makes it interesting is the streamlined logos on the engines.  They do not appear to be P&W logos (not carried on military aircraft).  I have never noticed these on any other NH ANG KC-135A/E photo.  Does anyone have a clue?

K/r,

Dutch

001.thumb.JPG.c1ca42ddade30b2c0101711b4ab49580.JPG

Edited by Dutch

They are on 59-1494 and 56-3650 as well (and possibly other NH ANG jets of the same period), and they seem to be a stylized "NH" - at least I could make out the first two letters but the rest seem to be obscured by the intake covers.

Pro tip: 59-1494 took place in an Upper Heyford open day - when researching these obscure details, it always helps to find a S/N that was at a UK open day or air show, because Brit "total aviation persons"  profusely photographed anything with wings on these open days during the 1980s. 

I think it might be the original version of the NH logo they used on their recent heritage jet.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Edited by KursadA

Here is a photo of a NH ANG KC-135E nose in baby Shamu scheme with the state outline with crew chiefs monikers, as I highly doubt that these are their actual names.  Notice the padlock on the forward crew door access hatch.  Obviously, they did not want folks opening the crew access door.  I don't have any info, but probably taken at an air show sometime in the early-mid 1990s.

24197918972_906d29190b_b_NH_ANG_Nose.thumb.jpg.e9a85ec0c9ac8bea1aad3537a6e678c1.jpg

Edited by Dutch

I received these decals a couple of days ago, and I am really happy with how they look - I still need the Cartograf-printed parts that have the more intricate unit badges and other markings; and these will not be ready until mid-September. The sheer number of decals in flight (and the instructions I have yet to design) means that I may probably release these in October, but the KC-135 series is making progress and soon there will be a lot of marking choices for your AMT kits. All of these will show up in 1/144 as well, before the end of the year.

kc135decals1.jpg

kc135decals2.jpg

Edited by KursadA
3 hours ago, Lex said:

Since they are limited. are they going to be shipped to the usual overseas vendors aswell or only on sale in your shop?

I always allocate a certain percentage of every print run to overseas & domestic resellers, limited edition or not - the European resellers will also receive these items.